Great sharpener for small blades

Review by ColonelTravis posted 01-10-2017 01:08 AM 1257 views 1 time favorited 5 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Great sharpener for small blades No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

If I were a famous person I’d endorse this product. If I were Charles Neil I’d get on YouTube and say: “Alright now, I wanna tell you all about something. This thing right here – zoom in some more so you can see it. Alright, this thing right here don’t look like much but it’s gonna knock your socks off.” (I love Charles Neil.)

Lee Valley sells it. It’s an incredible tool for sharpening small blades. I’ve got a good setup for sharpening larger blades but not for small ones like marking knives, pocket knife, etc. This thing has been around for several years but I hadn’t heard of it until last week when I started looking for something to help me out with the small things. I’ve sharpened all our kitchen knives with it, takes very little time and effort. Had been using water stones for those. This is so much easier and faster. You can use it for scissors, shears, axes – all kinds of stuff.

Find the bevel on the blade, put the carbide part on that, tilt it back about 10 degrees and lightly shave off the metal. That’s literally what you’re doing. It’s kind of like whittling except you don’t put as much effort into it. You don’t grind it into the blade, just use light strokes. Lee Valley says it’s the same concept as using a card scraper vs. sandpaper on wood.

Carbide end folds into the handle like a pocket knife. You want to always fold it in when you’re not using it, I’ve read where it can shatter if you drop it. LV sells replacement blades for pretty cheap.

View ColonelTravis's profile

ColonelTravis

#1 posted 01-10-2017 02:07 AM

Interesting thx for the review

View Bill_Steele's profile

Bill_Steele

#2 posted 01-10-2017 04:32 PM

Thanks for the review. Do you think the carbide insert will last for the life of the tool or is it a good idea to get the replacement carbide insert that is offered (assume using it a couple times a month)? How sharp does this get knives as compared to your water stones? Sharp enough to slice paper or shave arm hair?

I like your Charles Neil reference—you have his lingo nailed.

View Desert_Woodworker's profile

Desert_Woodworker

#3 posted 01-10-2017 04:42 PM

View ColonelTravis's profile

ColonelTravis

#4 posted 01-10-2017 09:37 PM

Bill, it got my kitchen knives as sharp as my Shapton Pro 1000 in a fraction of the time. That will cut paper and arm hair nicely. (I tried both!) I was also able to sharpen the area of the blade near the handle that I couldn’t do with my waterstones because the blade was slightly curved and thicker there. The profile at that spot wouldn’t fit the flat stone, so I always skipped it. Now the entire blade is razor sharp.

I didn’t buy the replacement carbide. Unless you break the one on there, it seems that it would last for many years.

View CharlesNeil's profile

CharlesNeil

#5 posted 01-13-2017 02:40 PM

nice.. May have to look into one