Woodcarving Course & Reference Manual

Review by Druid posted 01-08-2017 12:13 AM 1179 views 4 times favorited 13 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Woodcarving Course & Reference Manual No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I’ve just finished reading my new copy of the “Woodcarving Course & Reference Manual” by Chris Pye which I received as part of my Yule presents.
Even though I have been carving for some time now, I found it well worth my time to read completely through from cover to cover, and I was pleased to glean quite a few tips and techniques that Chris shares.
His explanations and photos make the information very understandable, and he includes good insights into his reasoning behind many of his methods.
As an example, his explanation of the difference between the smooth and rough sides of a diagonal cut across the grain (while using a V-tool) makes a great deal of sense, but I had not seen this so clearly explained before.
My suggestion to anyone considering taking up carving, or looking for ways to improve their current skills . . . get yourself a copy and work your way through it.

View lew's profile

lew

#1 posted 01-08-2017 12:42 AM

Thanks for the review, John.

I admire folks who can visualize a figure hidden within a piece of wood and then be able to carve away the waste to expose the hidden gem.

-- Lew- Time traveler. Purveyor of the Universe's finest custom rolling pins.

View John's profile

John

#2 posted 01-08-2017 01:40 AM

Good information John, when I get around to adding some carving to a bowl I’ll read this book.

-- John, Sunshine Coast, BC, Canada.

View Celticscroller's profile

Celticscroller

#3 posted 01-08-2017 03:38 AM

Thanks for the review John. I like Chris Pye’s work and his books. This looks like one I need to add to my reference library!

-- Anna, Richmond BC

View Bob Collins's profile

Bob Collins

#4 posted 01-08-2017 04:16 AM

Good review John, have taken note of Chris Pye’s work on the net and found his methods very interesting.

-- Bob C, Australia. Your best teacher is your last mistake.

View Cliff 's profile

Cliff

#5 posted 01-09-2017 05:07 AM

Yes. Good Review John. Very interesting.

Cliff.

-- Cliff Australia : Snoring is good. It blows away all the Sawdust.

View Dave's profile

Dave

#6 posted 01-09-2017 05:12 PM

Yep theres another one on my list

-- Superdav "No matter where you go - there you are." http://chiselandforge.com

#7 posted 01-09-2017 06:00 PM

Glad to see that this is of interest to all of you.
Lew – Nicely expressed.
John – looking forward to seeing those bowls.
Anna, Bob, Cliff, Dave – Hope you find it as interesting as I did.

View Roger's profile

20594 posts in 2410 days

#8 posted 01-12-2017 02:12 PM

Thnx for your review and suggestions John.

View helluvawreck's profile

helluvawreck

#9 posted 01-12-2017 09:27 PM

Thanks for the review. Chris Pye is a great teacher.

helluvawreck aka Charles

#10 posted 01-13-2017 05:13 AM

Glad you enjoyed my comments. The book is much more interesting. ;)

#11 posted 01-13-2017 05:44 AM

For anyone who is interested in seeing about the first 15 pages of this book, look up “Woodcarving Course & Reference Manual” by Chris Pye on either Amazon.com or Amazon.ca. When you go to the detailed description of the book, you should see a ”Look inside” appear, and when you click on that, you will get to see some of what he starts off the book with.

Enjoy.

View BobbyV's profile

BobbyV

#12 posted 01-16-2017 01:32 AM

I’ve always wanted to get into detailed wood carving and thanks for the tip on this review. It not only takes the skill and knowledge but you need to have an artistic creative mindset and I look forward to the challenge.

-- Bobby V, New York, http://www.stopsmokingnowaids.com

#13 posted 01-16-2017 03:48 AM

Bobby – Glad the information is of assistance. Hope to see some of your work soon. Welcome to LJ’s.