My Review of, Rikon 10-325 14" Deluxe Bandsaw

Review by Dick, & Barb Cain posted 01-14-2008 02:07 PM 29030 views 5 times favorited 59 comments Add to Favorites Watch
My Review of,  Rikon 10-325 14" Deluxe Bandsaw My Review of,  Rikon 10-325 14" Deluxe Bandsaw No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Second photo from Rikon
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Reason for buying:
I’ve had an old 14” Taiwanese saw for quite a few years, so I looked at some reviews on Band saws, & decided this would be the one for me.

I shopped around the internet, & decided to buy it from Woodcraft. It was $750, & free shipping,
so I saved $75, enough for a few gallons of gas.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Pros:
The price fit my wallet.

It looked like a well engineered saw. when I received it, I was surprised by the heftiness of it. The cabinet,
& all of the doors, even the lower cabinet were about 14, or 15 gauge steel. About twice the thickness of my old saw. I also like the way the doors latch, with a quarter turn of a knob, & tight enough for no rattling.

The table is a nice size, & it has a well designed, & a sturdy fence, that comes with a ripping bar attachment that bolts to the fence.

I also like the geared tilting mechanism.

It comes with ball bearing blade guides.

It has plenty of power 1 1/2 HP
I think having cast iron wheels gives the saw added inertia, because of their weight.

You can re-saw 13”, without having to install riser blocks.

I recently re-sawed some 9” burly maple with no slowdown.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Table
Size 16” x 21-1/2”
Left Tilt 5°
Right Tilt 45°
Groove “T” Slot (2) 3/8” x 3/4”
Height to Floor 39-1/2”
Minimum 110 volts
60Hz
20 amp circuit.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Cons:
Poor quality manual, with lousy pictures. They told me they were going to upgrade it though.

The dust collector port was blocked with a plate welded over it. ( you can see it in my previous review).
First I drilled some holes in it, but i finally got it working right by chiseling it off.
It works fine now.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
If I had to do this over again, would I buy one of these saws again?

You Bet I would. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
This is a piece of 9 inch wide maple, that I re-sawed, it cut through it like butter.
This is before sanding, a nice clean cut.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

THIS IS MY EARLIER REVIEW!

I just bought my machine back in March of 2007. Woodcraft had a weekend discount, plus free freight so I jumped at the deal. I saved $75, just on the freight.

I’ve had an old Taiwanese machine for many years, but I figured I owed myself a new saw, So I did a lot of research, & decided on the Rikon.
Now I have to decide on what to do with my old saw, because it still works.

The saw comes with about the lousiest manual, for such a nice piece of machinery.

The pictures are very unclear.

I called Rikon right after I got the saw, & they said they were working on a new manual.

They’ve been kind of slow about it, because I haven’t seen a new edition yet.

I haven’t had a chance to use it much yet, but the times I’ve used it, have been very favorable, meaning Man, do I ever like it.

Here’s some things I’ve found out about this machine so far.

After setting it up, the first thing that happened to me, was when I hit the start switch, nothing happened it blew out the circuit breaker. Now what? I tried a couple more times with the same results, so I called Rikon, he asked what size breaker I had. I told him 20 Amps. He told me to go to 30 Amps, because of the heavy starting load, even with the motor being rated less than 20 Amps. I change too 30 Amps, “problem solved”.

I’ve learned more about the problem I had with blowing of fuses. My shop has the old style screw in fuses,
even the Fusetron that has overload protection didn’t work for me. I bought some new screw in type circuit breakers, & a 20 amp breaker works fine now. I hope my review hasn’t caused anyone any added costs by switching to a larger circuit breaker.

Since I made this review. I’ve had a chance to test it on some projects. & I’m very satisfied with it.

I recently re-sawed some 9” Maple, & it sliced it like butter, with no blade drift whatsoever.

I had a question about the blade guide setting, I didn’t think they were right, so I did some checking, & now I use the thickness of a dollar bill for blade clearance setting,
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I like the large highly finished cast iron table, & an excellent fence.

The heavy cast iron wheels run very smooth.
The inertia in the wheels allow it to coast almost 30 seconds after shutting down. That also helps with the power with heavy work loads.

The windows for tension adjustment, & centering the blade are also good features.

Blade check window.

There’s one thing I discovered with the dust collector port. It has a steel baffle welded about 1/2” in front of the hole. It stops the air flow, & it did a poor job of sucking away the dust.
I called Rikon ,& they said it was a safety feature specified by OSHA, to prevent getting fingers in the wheel spokes.
I suggested drilling holes in the plate would allow air flow, & he agreed with me. He said he’d pass it on to his engineers.

I have completely removed this baffle since this picture was taken, & now I’m much more satisfied. .
You can’t get your fingers in the port when the pipes are connected.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I have recently attached some casters to the base of the saw, & it works fine, &

I haven’t had any problems with this set up. Check it out.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Here's a review of this tool, by Fine Woodworking.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I f you wish to see the comments of the early review
click here._ There’s some interesting comments that compliment this early review
Dick Cain

home | projects | blog

3383 posts in 520 days
————————————————————————————————————————

View MsDebbieP's profile

MsDebbieP

#1 posted 01-14-2008 02:10 PM

“you bet I would” ... can’t top that for a thumbs up!

-- ~ Debbie, Canada (https://www.facebook.com/DebbiePribeleENJOConsultant)

View Lee A. Jesberger's profile

Lee A. Jesberger

#2 posted 01-14-2008 02:42 PM

Hi Dick;

I guess that pretty much says it all.

I’ve come to the conclusion there is no right or wrong in some cases. It boils down to a particular unit, much like cars or even people. (some are lemons).

Grizzly is a brand I’ve seen this most often in. Some guys here swear by them and their customer service policies, while others curse both the service and the tool. Go figure!

I’m glad your’s is keeping you happy, which is the bottom line.

Lee

#3 posted 01-14-2008 03:13 PM

Blade changing, & clearance set up is not difficult once I’ve done it a few times.

The only problem I have is trying to see through the old bifocals on the lower guides. LOL

View rikkor's profile

rikkor

#4 posted 01-14-2008 03:41 PM

I have a Griz with Carter bearings. I am eminently satisfied.

View mot's profile

mot

#5 posted 01-14-2008 04:11 PM

Great review, Dick. Those saws aren’t available in Canuckistan, but would be up for consideration if they were.

-- You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation. (Plato)

View GaryK's profile

GaryK

#6 posted 01-14-2008 05:09 PM

Nice review!

View cobra3740's profile

cobra3740

#7 posted 02-24-2008 12:06 AM

Great review on the Rikon 14”. I have the same model, also from Woodcraft. I had a Craftsman before. It worked fine but this Rikon is a real professional tool. I really love this one. The assembly and instruction manual was terrible, but they have produced a much better one that can be downloaded at http://www.rikontools.com/images/Manuals/10325.pdf
The model I have has the work light included. The only thing they could have done better in my opinion is to have an outlet mounted on the saw for the light plug, especailly since the cords were different lengths. Then I don’t need two shop receptacles. When I get some time I plan to fix this myself.

-- Cobra3740, Cudahy Wisconsin

#8 posted 02-24-2008 01:19 AM

Thanks Cobra,

I checked out the new manual, & its much better.

Mine has the work light attached also, but lately it won’t stay in position. it keeps sagging down.

I haven’t taken the time to check how to tighten up the neck on it yet..

View USCJeff's profile

USCJeff

#9 posted 02-27-2008 06:38 PM

I figured I’d second Dick as I’ve had about a 6 months experience on the Rikon now. My experience is limited to a bottom shelf Lowes import, a 14” basic Grizzly w/o riser, and the Rikon. While the Girzzly did very well, the Rikon excelled. Tallest resaw w/o riser I’ve seen in the 14” category. Great factory bearings. Big table, and virtually any perk I’ve seen on any bandsaw. If hit by lighting today, would repurchase.

-- Jeff, South Carolina

View iannlb's profile

iannlb

#10 posted 03-19-2008 05:45 AM

I also have the Rikon 14’ Deluxe and am very pleased so far. I had some questions during initial setup that were promplty answered by tech support. In fact this has been my best experience with tech support of any of my machines. I cant wait to try a really good re-saw blade. Only to knocks: poorly machined guide bearings and the light really isn’t very useful. But plenty of power and capacity a big table and great price.

-- Iannlb

#11 posted 03-19-2008 05:52 AM

I tried tightening the goose neck on my light the other day, & it’s almost impossible to tighten.

I think I’ll take it off , & relocate it to a more convenient place.

View iannlb's profile

iannlb

#12 posted 03-19-2008 05:54 AM

Dick,
I was thinking the same thing.

-- Iannlb

#13 posted 03-19-2008 06:03 AM

When I get around to doing it, I’ll post a picture.

View SteveKorz's profile

SteveKorz

#14 posted 03-26-2008 05:19 AM

I’m looking at buying this machine in a couple of weeks or so, I’m so glad you put this review on here… the “you bet I would” part sold me… Great review… thanks

-- As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another. (Proverbs 27:17) †

#15 posted 03-26-2008 06:04 AM

Hey Steve!

After having my Rikon for over a year now, I’ve been looking at other band saw reviews,

& have found that mine has a lot more features that I like.

I’ve learned what to look for as a comparison much better now.