Preliminary review with useful shipping carton size information

Review by Jeff Mazur posted 01-04-2017 06:44 PM 5226 views 0 times favorited 18 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Preliminary review with useful shipping carton size information No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

This isn’t a full review – haven’t even opened the box yet – but I want to post it in order to help others who may have had my same concerns about the size of the carton. FYI, the saw came shipped with cartons and pallet in EXTREMELY good condition (vendor was Woodcraft, shipped via UPS.) So, so far, 5 star experience with a happy surprise, read on for the surprise…

My concern was about whether I could get the saw all the way into my workshop without having to uncrate it. I don’t like lugging heavy and expensive equipment around unprotected any farther than I have to. Information on the carton size is not available online, you have to contact Sawstop. They told me that the carton size is 42 long, 30 high, and 31 wide, which was the cause for my initial concern, because one of the two doorways that the saw would have to go through on its way to my shop is only 28” wide. My happy surprise was this: the size quoted is the size ON PALLET. The actual size of the carton alone is only 42 long, 24 high, and 31 wide, meaning that the saw in its factory carton can fit through most any doorway (and definitely my 28” one.)

I hope this bit of logistics information helps someone who’s pondering the saw’s journey into their shop. I will only post another review if my experience reveals other interesting new information or differs significantly from that of the other 5 star reviewers. (I’m not here to brag or gush, just to inform :)

View RJweb's profile

RJweb

#1 posted 01-04-2017 09:19 PM

Nice, i purchased my last spring when they had their promo deal. When they sent mine, I was concerned that how am I going to get it from the end of my driveway into my shop, trucking company and vendor said liftgate service only, but when they showed up the driver said where do you want it, he had a power jack and walked it right into the shop, of course i tiped him. You will enjoy the saw lots of luck with it, RJ

-- Life Begins @ 190 MPH

View chrisstef's profile

chrisstef

#2 posted 01-04-2017 09:26 PM

I ordered a party pizza, dubbed “the goliath”, and it wouldn’t fit through any door leading into my house.

-- Something, something, something.

View WhoMe's profile

WhoMe

#3 posted 01-04-2017 09:44 PM

It is good you posted the actual box dimensions but…
The ss box, and saw placement within the box, isn’t really designed to tip on its side to get that narrow 24” dimension. So I’m assuming you unboxed the saw to get the narrower table depth dimension to fit through the doors.

Glad you got it worked out and enjoy your saw. They are a pleasure to use.

-- I'm not clumsy.. It's just the floor hates me, the tables and chairs are bullies, the wall gets in the way AAANNNDDD table saws BITE my fingers!!!.. - Mike -

#4 posted 01-05-2017 02:19 AM

@WhoMe – Just got it today, haven’t moved it in yet. I have to get my anchor (large auger tent stake, probably) for the hand winch I’m using to ease it down the ramp through my Bilco doors (leading to basement.) The carton has no warnings regarding inversion, or even any “this side up” indicators, so I’m not worried. It’s gone through a lot worse in its voyage here to NJ than I’m going to put it through. Those tools are surrounded by foam and such :)

View Bill_Steele's profile

Bill_Steele

#5 posted 01-05-2017 04:53 PM

Congratulations on your new saw! This is the same saw I’ve been drooling over and will likely upgrade to when my old Jet contractor saw dies.

View RustyHacksaw's profile

RustyHacksaw

#6 posted 01-05-2017 06:03 PM

I love mine. Nice choice.

#7 posted 01-06-2017 09:14 AM

@Bill_Steele Bill, don’t hold your breath waiting for that Jet to die, I have an old blue one (JWTS-10 or something like that) that’s never gonna go away. They’re well made. I would have made-do with mine for YEARS more and would not be in possession of this Sawstop if not for the generosity of my best friend of 32 years who has come into a LARGE amount of money and bought it for me for Christmas. But I’m keeping the Jet anyway, probably keep it set up with a stack for dadoes, grooves and rabbets in cabinet cases.

View lj61673's profile

lj61673

261 posts in 2032 days

#8 posted 01-07-2017 01:55 PM

A review about the size of the box…...hmmmm…
Can’t wait to read the next review about the opening of the box…..followed closely, no doubt, about recycling of the cardboard.
We’re spellbound.

#9 posted 01-07-2017 05:37 PM

@lj61673 – sorry, couldn’t find the box size forum, but yet I knew that information like this is useful for some people. This seemed to be a good place to put it where it would be found by people interested specifically in this saw.

My apologies for not posting the forty-third “cuts through 8/4 oak like butter/feels rock solid/didn’t cut my wiener when I tested it” review for this saw :)

View bbasiaga's profile

bbasiaga

#10 posted 01-09-2017 01:25 AM

I recall having the same question when I bought mine. Not because of a door, but because of my car. I emailed Woodcraft customer service, and they got back to me with dimensions. It was an on-size fit for my Dad’s van, which has a ramp built in the back for his wheelchair. When I picked it up at the local dealer, it was just ever so much too wide. I had to take the outer cardboard off to get it to work.

It would be nice if they posted actual dimensions someplace. I guess they assume that if you are buying this, you have a pickup truck and/or a bay door.

Brian

-- Part of engineering is to know when to put your calculator down and pick up your tools.

View Mikesawdust's profile

Mikesawdust

#11 posted 01-09-2017 09:50 AM

I’m surprised at some of the comments; I though the title was clear. So many people seemed to think you were going to give them more than was promised.

-- You never cut a piece to short, you are just prepping that piece for a future project

View Matt's profile

Matt

#12 posted 01-10-2017 01:03 AM

There are very specific instructions on how to unbox/move the cabinet from the pallet. These directions (and the sawstop assembly instructions) are on the sawstop website.

Congrats on your new saw – It appears you’re very excited about it!

-Matt

-- My "projects" always look better with beer goggles.

#13 posted 01-10-2017 01:16 AM

@Matt (and others to come, I suppose): does ANYONE actually READ a review before commenting? This post was CLEARLY to inform people that the size that Sawstop gives includes the pallet and thus the saw can move through a smaller doorway (or into a smaller vehicle) while still in its box than one might expect if judging by Sawstop-supplied numbers.

I’m done commenting on comments on this review now. Hopefully the usual flood of posts from those who just love to post (but don’t necessarily care whether they have anything relevant or correct to say) will be abating soon.

View papadan's profile

papadan

#14 posted 01-10-2017 01:55 AM

Jeff, just talk your shit and it will slide right in! ;-)

-- Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity!

View Bill_Steele's profile

Bill_Steele

#15 posted 01-10-2017 04:21 PM

@Jeff Mazur—I have the same blue Jet (contractor saw) as you. I bought it way back in 1996 and just keeps running! I can’t justify getting rid of a perfectly good saw to get something newer and I don’t have the room for 2 saws. I’ll just have to wait I guess.