Start With the Switch, Expand Later

Review by pintodeluxe posted 01-02-2017 08:01 PM 1913 views 2 times favorited 8 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Start With the Switch, Expand Later Start With the Switch, Expand Later Start With the Switch, Expand Later Click the pictures to enlarge them

I was shopping for a remote control for my cyclone dust collector, and came across the iVac Switch. It can function as a remote-control only unit, used with manual blast gates. There are a few companies that make D.C. remotes, but with the iVac you can expand it to fully automated collection.

You need one tool sensor and one blast gate for each tool you want to automate. That is when the magic happens. Just turn on your tool, and first the blast gate opens automatically, then the dust collector starts. Turn off the tool and the D.C. turns off and the blast gate closes. I have my D.C. set to run for 5 seconds extra to clear the pipes. The blast gate close is delayed for 50 seconds. If you don’t like the delay times, you can change them.

If you program the blast gate to the “Tool 1” position, it will stay open. Tool 1 blast gate won’t close until another tool is triggered. This is a feature to protect your ductwork. Basically it won’t ever run with all blast gates closed. Since I have a few manual gates on my system, I disabled that feature. I only want one blast gate open at a time, and using the Tool 1 feature would give me 2 blast gates open while using a manual gate. No worries though, it is easy to bypass this feature by simply skipping the Tool 1 setting. Just set your first tool to “Tool 2”, and your second tool to “Tool 3”, and so on.

Programming the system is easy, and doesn’t even involve a computer. Just set the DIP switches on each component. You set a system address, tool address, and delays. It’s just like setting a garage door opener to respond to a remote.

I have had a very good experience with this product, and will update this review periodically. I’m happy to answer questions if someone is contemplating a purchase, or having trouble with setup.
  • P.S. Make sure to order the remote control. Some offerings include the remote as part of a package, but often the Switch is sold without a remote.

Check out my Youtube video for more info…

View Jerry's profile

Jerry

#1 posted 01-03-2017 12:08 AM

Hey Willie, thanks for this, I’ve been wondering how to handle this. Very helpful.
—Jerry

-- There are good ships and there are wood ships, the ships that sail the sea, but the best ships are friendships and may they always be. http://www.geraldlhunsucker.com/

#2 posted 01-03-2017 04:14 PM

Hey Jerry. Yeah, I would’ve been happy to just have the remote, but having the ability to expand is a luxury. For years I used a 1hp single-tool dust collector, and I guess it was adequate. Having recently upgraded to a 2hp cyclone, a hard-piped system seemed more appropriate. I currently have half of my stationary tools running with the automatic gates, and half with aluminum gates. It seems to be working pretty good so far.

View JerryinCreek's profile

JerryinCreek

#3 posted 01-04-2017 02:10 AM

Thanks for your review. I have wondered about this system and just how well it actually functioned and it’s reliability – especially considering the investment if you have a variety of tools. I still run a tool only to find I didn’t open the blast gate, or, have another gate open. Big investment as I have eight blast gates. Needs serious consideration.

-- Jerry, Johnson Creek, WI "If it was meant to be different it would be."

View Jeff Mazur's profile

Jeff Mazur

#4 posted 01-06-2017 09:32 AM

This is a nice way to set things up, thanks for the review! When I can afford to do so, I will no doubt look seriously at these.

My simplistic and cheap solution (less than $100 for connectors and hose), which works pretty quickly and easily nonetheless, is having arrayed my dusty tools (jointer, planer, t-saw, band saw, miter-saw hood) pretty much in a circle around my ShopSmith dust collector, which has a 10’ flexy 4” hose on it that is terminated with a male FAZLOK connector that matches the female FAZLOKs on all the tools. I can switch the hose to the machine of my choice in SECONDS. The flexible hose is a bit “lossy” with respect to static pressure because it’s bendy and not smooth, but it’s a short run, so that really doesn’t matter, the DC clears anything my machines can throw at it. Augmented by my shop-built air cleaner, it keeps me breathing healthy.

-- Woodworking is a beautiful, physical, cerebral, and noble art.

View CyberDyneSystems's profile

CyberDyneSystems

251 posts in 1966 days

#5 posted 01-19-2017 05:07 PM

Thank you for your review on this!

I was unaware of it’s existence. The automated gates I had seen were ridiculously priced. (like $400.00)
These are still pricely, but around $100-130.00 seems a lot more doable.

I run a shop at a university that includes many users, from hired pros to students. I have “semi automated” dust collection via a wireless remote control at the big machines, TS, RAS, Band saw and big disk sander,. BUT the problem is getting our users to pay attention to the gates.

this would solve all that perfectly.

II will do some research and pricing, and pray to the funding gods! :)

thanks again for posting.

-- Without the wood, it's just working

#6 posted 01-19-2017 05:37 PM

4” and 6” metal gates are also available, depending on your needs.

The thing I like about the system is it’s expandable. You could start with one or two gates, and go from there.
One Pro Switch can handle up to 8 tools.

More info on system delays can be found here… http://ivacswitch.com/ivac-pro-switch/
Or the iVac homepage… http://ivacswitch.com/

Thanks for chiming in.

View JerryinCreek's profile

JerryinCreek

#7 posted 01-20-2017 07:07 PM

OKWillie, you got me interested, so I did some additional research and ordered an Ivac system. I’ll let you know how it goes once I get it. I did have to purchase the Contacter as my DC draws 12 amps and the folks at Ivac said that without it I’d burn out the Pro Switch.

-- Jerry, Johnson Creek, WI "If it was meant to be different it would be."

#8 posted 01-25-2017 07:08 PM

Nice Jerry,
I think you will really like the system. Let us know how the contactor setup goes.