My new favorite toy.

Review by Andrew posted 08-23-2009 03:58 PM 5171 views 0 times favorited 7 comments Add to Favorites Watch
My new favorite toy. No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Hey Everyone, Just got My Jet 1642 EVS pro 1 1/2 hp. Awesome. I will tell you the set up was easy, 1/2 hour at most, needed an extra set of hands to balance the legs while attatching the Way to them. Thank You Dann. It was my own fault, if I had read the directions I would have noticed that they will balace on their own if you do not attatch the feet first. In otherwords, Put it together first then lift the whole thing up and install the feet. Everything goes together very nicely. Fit and finish is fantastic.
This is the best piece of equipment I own. Here is how I acquired it. In 2007 I bought a Craftsman pro with 15” swing, and rotating headstock for outboard turning, spent $480 on it, and an extra $80 for the home service master protection plan. I used it for 2 1/2 years, For the money it is a great lathe, no other will compare capabilities for the money. Protection plan priceless, Sears needed to fix it at least 12 times and spent nearly $3000 doing so. At some point they decided to replace it under the terms of the protection agreement, that model is discontinued, and they needed to find comparable or better to replace it. Lucky me. Thank You Sears. I have no complaints. The problem may not be the lathe so much as the service crew. The major breaking point was a inner transmission belt that would break after 4 or 5 hours of use. I recently had a friend look at the belts, and he has concluded that the 2 pulleys are pulling to tight on the belt, there is probably a simple adjustment. I mentioned it to the different service guy to come out for each repair, but all claim there is no adjustment. Back to the review, I love it with all my heart, The motor is quiet and smooth, the speed is super easy to control, the only belt that needs to be adjusted has a tension control lever and lock, super easy. The tailstock has 4 inches of travel. The live center, has a removeable cone point that reveals a smaller cup point, that removes to reveal and hollow cup. The only thing I feel I need to replace with aftermarket part is the tool rest, it comes with a beefy 1 inch post, 12 inch long rest, it is too long for me when I work on bowls, and tends to swivel into my work as I put preassure at the ends. I can live with this, and probably need to pay more attention to my placement so I use the rest closer to the middle. I have attatched, with rust stain bolts ( just ask if you don’t know ) the outboard turning gizmo from my craftsman lathe, it just barely fit, for taking advantage of my sliding headstock. I would give the sears part number but it seems to be discontinued aswell. To bad it only cost $40 as oppossed to jets $500 turning stand, I suppose and I thought of doing this as well, you could get a mini lathe with stand, set it up lower and place it anywhere you want. I also have a mini Rikon, I love that one too. This is my first review, and I hope you like it.
Thanks for reading

-- Even a broken clock is right twice a day, unless, it moves at half speed like ....-As the Saw Turns

View Andrew's profile

Andrew

View Andrew's profile

Andrew

#1 posted 08-23-2009 06:22 PM

Rust stain Bolts, The famous and unknown rust stain. Very cool, and natural. Take all of the rusty stuff you can find. If you operate a proper shop… rinse some steel wool with dish detergent and water to remove the ati rusting agent, let sit in a old pan or whatever. Spritz with water everyday, and turnover, until rusty sometimes it take a couple weeks. Place all the rusty stuff you have in a jar, add white distilled vinegar to cover, place a lid on it and wait.. a week. Strain the rusty vinegar, take all of the drill bits and other valuable metal stuff and rinse with water. Dry them and coat with WD-40 or something, they are new again. The vinegar has dissolved the rust and becomes a carrying agent for the chemical reaction that is about to happen. Rub the rusty vinegar on any wood that contains tannins ( oaks and walnuts are high in tannins) it will be rust colored and when you have given up and go do something else, you will undoubtedly look back and see the surface has turned black. Same rules apply to raised grain and water, so sand then reapply. This stain is a chemical reaction between the tannins and the rust, the sap wood has less tannins, and the wood that turns black will not fade.

View reggiek's profile

reggiek

#2 posted 08-23-2009 06:50 PM

Good review Andrew…and nice score.

I have a jet midi along with my new powermatic. The jet is a nice machine and I use is alot for turning spindles for the furniture I fix/create. I’ve yet to have any problems with either machine.

I purchased the powematic as it has everything I wanted and was at a price unheard of for this particular piece. I think all the lathe manufacturers are copying the same template as mine is very similar to the jet…but beefier…I have a 2 horse at 220 1phase or if I add a phase converter to 3phase it would be a 3 horse. I haven’t found any turnings yet that require anything over the 2 horse power.

Nice to have the outboard turning stand….I am considering buying the Nova one and adapting to the powermatic…(the powermatic is on back order everywhere…and is pricey…where as I’ve read many reviews using the nova or one way stands and adapting).

All in all you got a very nice lathe at an extremely nice price….Kudos!

-- Woodworking.....My small slice of heaven!

View a1Jim's profile (online now)

#3 posted 08-23-2009 07:39 PM

Super Review. I avoid sears tools every one I’ve owned seemed to have pulley problems

#4 posted 08-23-2009 10:23 PM

Excellent review, and good score on a great piece of equipment!

-- My workshop blog can be found at http://daves-workshop.blogspot.com, YouTube Channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoa-AgyeFWqnQfGIJwdzkog

View PineInTheAsh's profile

PineInTheAsh

#5 posted 08-24-2009 12:24 AM

So, here’s how it seems to be shaping up for both the serious and the start-up woodworker who wants to be serious, in the efficient homeowner workshop…

This is a short, one-only list. There are obviously a ton of hand and power tools to be added. Let’s hear from you. Add to the list. While we have tracked the LJ site when time permitted, and a number of the prominent woodwoking magazines for the last 18 months, this by no means is an absolute, be-all and end-all scientific survey, and there’s certainly room for adjustments; and, of course, LJs’ input.

—When it comes to a lathe the Jet seems to get the, let’s say, most points or mentions. It seems to be seen in too many published articles to be ignored. Maybe it’s their white paint, but many of the Jet tools seem to work smooth and quiet. Even their hand screw jack is cool, well-made.

View CanadaJeff's profile

CanadaJeff

#6 posted 08-24-2009 09:40 PM

Thanks for the review, I was looking at this lathe and your thoughts are helpful in my decision.

I will no longer buy Sears tools either. There customer service alone is so bad it has turned me off even dealing with them.

View horacedale's profile

horacedale

#7 posted 01-28-2015 06:37 PM

I have this same lathe. Love it. Very quiet. Easy to use. Should be the last lathe I will ever own.

-- Dale, Wren MS