Avoid this one

Review by jake posted 1839 days ago 2283 views 0 times favorited 9 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Avoid this one No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I thought this may be an answer for benchtop tool dust collection. I often move and sometimes use my bench top planer and jointer outdoors in nice weather on portable carts due to my small shop space. It was rated at 300 CFM. When buying it, I thought taking dust right at the port and not having to travel through long hoses would help. It did not! The suction is poor, you could get a similar result from a shop vac if you reduce down the dust port to the smaller hose size on the vac. Like a shop vac it uses a universal motor. Granted for it’s size a universal motor makes sense, since they are compact, light and powerful but very loud. So this is very loud too, I would say even louder than some shop vacs. It did ship with a nice 1 micron bag instead of the stated 30 micron bag. It is being discounted heavily online now. I’m sure for the reasons I stated. It is still listed on the mfg website as well. I see it available through Sears under the Craftsman name too, at the original prices Steel City tried to ask. I like what Sears has done with several of its new products, like its line of routers and am sorry to see they slapped their name on another poor product. In its defense, it is compact, can fit on the machine itself in most instances if there is a 4 inch dust port, removes some debris and the dust bag was a nice 1 micron nice piece saving money on shop vac cartriges. The 300 cfm rating is about 30 percent higher than the cfm rating of a larger shop vac, which I have seen listed at 180 for the so called 5 and 6 hp vacs. I hope the Craftsman also ships with the 1 miron, the stated 30 would make the purchase even less viable. Avoid this one or at least get it at a greatly reduced price to make it worth it, the bag is close to worth what some online retailers are asking for the mini dust collector (if is ships with the 1 micron like mine did).

View jake's profile

jake

View PurpLev's profile

PurpLev

Thanks for the review. I am not impressed with what SC is coming up with lately, nor am I with their marketing techniques.

-- ㊍ When in doubt - There is no doubt - Go the safer route.

View MedicKen's profile

MedicKen

1599 posts in 2098 days

Steel City= Craftsman knock offs in my opinion. I would not and will NOT buy another Craftsman power tool.

-- My job is to give my kids things to discuss with their therapist....medic20447@gmail.com

View reggiek's profile

reggiek

2240 posts in 1906 days

I consider Craftsman to be the weekend warrior brand…then one step above that is Ryobi…both brands are cheap…cheaply made…and will not last if used more than a few weekends….they have built in obsolescence.(They should come with the caution “don’t do this at home.”)

I have had to resort to them when doing a job in an area that had no decent stores, when I didn’t have time to go back and get a “real” tool and I only needed it to do very little amount of work….Once done with them…I give em to whoever wants em as I dont store these space wasters in my shop…not that I am a brand snob…just limited room.

Thanks for the review…it is sad when a tool company decides to go the “cheap” route in its marketing. It is also from that mindset that you can only make a profit if you build tools that break down quickly so that a new one must be repurchased (planned obsolescence)....I think the accessories marketing strategy is a better one….good solid base and then develop lots of useful accessories to go with them….I don’t mind paying a bit more if the tool is efficient, durable and has safety in mind…those cheapos are also very dangerous IMHO…

-- Woodworking.....My small slice of heaven!

Good review. I have seen some of the Steel City stuff at Woodcraft and drool over that nice drill press of theirs.

Generally speaking, those mini dust collectors leave buyers wanting something better. Looks like this is no different. The nice thing is that it has the 1 micron bag.

I’m tempted to post something about the brand slam done above, but I will say this, the brands unduly slammed above currently have, and have in the past offered some EXCELLENT tools, which are typically in the top of their class for value, and have found very satisfied and loyal users.

-- My workshop blog can be found at http://daves-workshop.blogspot.com

112027 posts in 2213 days

Thanx fer the info…

-- Ken, Tallahassee,FL

View RexMcKinnon's profile

RexMcKinnon

Thanks for the review. All I have is a shopvac right now and I was looking for something small with a 4’ port to go along side it. I think I will keep on looking.

-- If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail!

View jake's profile

jake

update: now this is making a screeching noise when the suction is under even a fairly light load. This does not have much use on it. It is naturally a simple device and it has a plastic blower blade and housing, so I can only assume it is a motor bearing. Performance was so-so, now durability is questionable.

View roadrunner0925's profile

roadrunner0925

many of my tools are either inherited craftsman from my late grandfather or are ryobi that i bought. i have had absolutely no problems with anything craftsman or ryobi. i have used the ryobi planer relentlessly and the only thing i have ever had to do(once after a few hundred bf) was change the knives. the 10in band saw (craftsman) has been around since i was very young. the SKIL saw i bought has built and cut everything i have ever wanted it to, from cutting off the wane on 2’’ pin oak to luaun ply. i dont understand where the hatred of craftsman comes from, but i second the earlier post of disliking the brand bashing going on. honestly, lest a tree limb fall on it, a well maintained tool should last and perform well for anyone willing to care for it.

sorry to sidetrack. i just bought the 3/4 hp dust collector, will post review later

-- wm, brandon,ms