Delta customer service

Review by Dedvw posted 12-24-2016 05:20 PM 2366 views 0 times favorited 34 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Delta customer service No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I guess that if you hear enough people saying the same thing, there might be some truth to it. This was the case with my recent Unisaw purchase. I went to pick the saw up at Lowes and when they brought it out it was packed in a fashion that was screaming damage me. It came in four separate boxes, the table saw body, the saw side table, the fence, and the bar that the fence sits on. As many other people have noted, the fence box and the side table box where destroyed. Laguna does a better job packing there fence on there $1100 saw then Delta does on this $2500 saw. The store manager and I were able to do a quick visual inspection at the store, but didn’t note any serious damage. I wasn’t about to cut the boxes out from the plastic wrap before driving this beast home.

When I get home and start to unpack the boxes, I notice that the side table did receive some damage during shipping in the form of what looks like a pallet jack spearing it and breaking it in half. Im actually very surprised that the fence didn’t receive any damage the way that box looked. I wont hold my breath though, I haven’t been able to install the fence yet because the tale is broken. The picture is the fence and side table boxes.

So my first course of action was to call Delta to see what their typical course of action was. I waited on the phone literally 20 minutes waiting to talk to someone. Once I finally got through, the guy could not have cared less about my problem. Did you look for damage he asked, and I explained the situation that I noted earlier in this review. I asked if they would send out a new table and he responded like I was some kind of moron for asking a question like that and to deal with Lowes about it. So I was on the phone for a total of 21 minutes without any resolve on my situation.

My second course of action was to go back to Lowes. They handled it like a bunch of pros, taking action to order me a new table. I will add that I spoke with two store managers about the problem and they both said “you called Delta and they wouldn’t just ship you a new table?!” I told them it wasn’t a cheap saw either. Lowes was actually getting ready to order a whole new saw if needed to get me the new part. I told them they really didn’t want to do that and I would figure something else out before they did that.

At this point I’m still waiting for the replacement side table. Hopefully, this one will come undamaged.

View BenjaminNY's profile

BenjaminNY

#1 posted 12-24-2016 09:15 PM

Mind boggling that a company could put all that work into a saw and then be so careless with the packaging and transporting. Just does not make business sense because ultimately they are going to have to replace it. I also wonder where along the line that the box got so damaged.

#2 posted 12-25-2016 03:19 AM

It truly is mind boggling. The pallet traveled from Carolina to Maine and it looked like the plastic wrap was wrapped after the fence box was compressed. The long bar that the fence sits on was packed sticking up from the top of the pallet (almost three feet about the top of the saw body box) just waiting for something to crash it into the box that it sits next to. The shipping was really planned and executed by a couple of people with very little experience in logistics.

As many have noted on Amazon about the fence packaging, it is severely under packaged and not supported correctly inside the box. You could easily add some plywood supports to the box to protect it. Its fundamental stuff and Deltas response to my problem was just as bad. Now I sit without a working table saw for who knows how long and just happens that I sold my working Ridgid 4511 yesterday.

On a side note, this is one hell of a saw that I’m sure will make me smile once this is all figured out! I will send many pictures of the trunnion in this beast because trunnion pictures sure are hard to find online.

View Woodmaster1's profile (online now)

Woodmaster1

#3 posted 12-25-2016 03:33 AM

I have the Delta unisaw with a 5hp motor. It came without any damage and the miter slot to blade was perfectly square. Sorry about your bad luck. You will love the saw once it is up and running. The damage looks like the shipping company is responsible and no amount of packaging would have helped guard against fork tuck ramming.

#4 posted 12-25-2016 12:47 PM

I totally understand that damage will happen. It has before, and every time the company was like, no prob, we will ship out the replacement.

Thats the dfference between your unit and mine. Yours came in good condition and I had to contact customer service in regards to an issue. I have multiple Delta pieces in my shop, but this is my first expirence in dealing with Delta customer service.

It’s important to let people know the state/mindset of companies. Are they willing to bend over backwards or give you a dose of I’m just answering this phone? If enough people tell the same story, then most likely it is more than a customer service rep having a bad day.

What if Lowe’s blamed the shipping company? It could have turned into a nightmare of Delta blaming Lowes and Lowes blaming the shipping. No one knows for sure what speared the box, but a quick let me take your name from Delta would have gone a long way when I told them something did.

View abie's profile

abie

#5 posted 12-25-2016 04:30 PM

Our woodshop had refused to deal with Delta ever again
They are now owned by a foreign conglomerate, as are many of our wood tool makers.
Shame shame.

-- Bruce. a mind is like a book it is only useful when open.

View Rick M's profile

Rick M

8375 posts in 1920 days

#6 posted 12-26-2016 08:21 AM

I don’t understand how any of this is Delta’s fault? I can see why they wouldn’t ship a new table, I wouldn’t ship you one either. Unreasonable to ask them to do that. The box is obviously damaged by a forklift, you should never have brought it home and Lowes was irresponsible for letting you. Lowes pawned it off on you rather than eating the damage hoping that Delta will eat the cost of replacing parts. Lowes gets the praise for fixing a mistake they should have fixed before you left the store, while Delta gets the blame. Unbelievable. Next time, don’t buy obviously damaged machines.

-- http://thewoodknack.blogspot.com/

#7 posted 12-26-2016 12:26 PM

Delta uses forks too. There is no way they lifted that pallet by hand. It’s not fair to say it was Lowe’s fault any more than it was Delta’s.

I’m sorry that you haven’t had the chance to order something, received it with a damaged boxed, and hoped (after the best inspection you could do WITHOUT disassembling it at the store) that it was going to be OK when you got it home. I received a carpet extracting wand in a mutilated box before, but the wand itself was OK.

The manager at Lowe’s felt the same way I did about the puncture hole and didn’t give me a hard time at all when I called back.

It’s not like they had another one of these out back. It was a special order and I drove and hour to get it.

View OggieOglethorpe's profile

OggieOglethorpe

#8 posted 12-26-2016 01:07 PM

Someone said “Delta” and “Customer Service” together… <rim>

Having been part of the comedy act at several stops on the tour, I’ll never buy a new Delta product again.

View Grumpymike's profile

Grumpymike

1981 posts in 1855 days

#9 posted 12-27-2016 01:31 AM

Dedvw, I’m really sorry that you are having so much trouble with your new saw … I have been there with the damaged box thing and should of refused it right at the start … But after waiting almost a year to save enough, and the anticipating after ordering… well you know.

Lowes would have reordered the saw for you and returned the first one to Delta, BUT, the problem is most likely not the warehousemen at Lowes or even at Delta, but it is the common carrier that picked it up at Delta and delivered it to Lowes … you’d be amazed at how they handle our goods, then blame poor packaging on the damages … You do know that the fork lift hole through the carton is because the packer used inferior cardboard, and the wheel marks on the fence box is because it was packed to small or the forklift wouldn’t be able to run over it and it should have been on a separate pallet … Yep the carrier charges by the pallet …

As Abie said the tool manufacturers today are not the same as those we were used to in years gone by, and the new trend is the bottom line for the shareholders and not quality product and service. So, the retailers are picking up the slack.

Best of luck with the replacement parts and most of all enjoy that new saw.

-- Grumpy old guy, and lookin' good Doin' it. ... Surprise Az.

View Rick M's profile

Rick M

8375 posts in 1920 days

#10 posted 12-27-2016 08:54 AM

Delta uses forks too. There is no way they lifted that pallet by hand. It s not fair to say it was Lowe s fault any more than it was Delta s.

I m sorry that you haven t had the chance to order something, received it with a damaged boxed, and hoped (after the best inspection you could do WITHOUT disassembling it at the store) that it was going to be OK when you got it home. I received a carpet extracting wand in a mutilated box before, but the wand itself was OK.

The manager at Lowe s felt the same way I did about the puncture hole and didn t give me a hard time at all when I called back.

It s not like they had another one of these out back. It was a special order and I drove and hour to get it.

- Dedvw

I don’t know whose “fault” it was but it was absolutely Lowe’s “responsibility”. When my miter saw came broken, I didn’t call Hitachi, I called the company I bought it from and complained to them. Should I go write a negative review of Hitachi because CPO shipped me a broken saw? That would make no sense but it’s exactly what you did here. Of course Lowes didn’t give you a hard time, they were the ones who conned you into taking it. What if—what if Lowes are actually the ones who ran into with a fork truck, is it right that Delta should pay a couple hundred bucks to fix Lowe’s mistake and on top of that get slammed in a negative review? If the box arrived damaged and Lowes accepted it, they own a damaged saw. That’s how it works. If Lowes ran into it with fork truck, they own a damaged saw. Bottom line, it’s Lowes responsibility. Now if the box had been pristine but the table had damage, then we might talk about blaming Delta.

Someone else did this with Woodcraft awhile back. They bought something broken and then came here and slammed the manufacturer while praising Woodcraft. Another guy misread a magazine advertisement and wrote a negative review of the manufacturer, doesn’t even own the tool, and the problem he complained about doesn’t exist. You should delete this review or change the rating, until you have spent time with the saw, have used it, and can fairly review it.

-- http://thewoodknack.blogspot.com/

#11 posted 12-27-2016 11:36 AM

Rick, first of all stop bossing me around. It’s not going to get you anywhere.

Have you ever purchased something that said “before you returned this item call this number?” That’s why I stated in my original review that I called Delta to see what the protocol was. I understand now that they won’t replace the table. But my overall opinion of their customer service is still the same. Hey, I gave them two stars and not one.

Id change the review if it were about how the saw performs, but it’s not.

View OnhillWW's profile

OnhillWW

#12 posted 12-27-2016 01:42 PM

I have done a stint in shipping and receiving and I can tell you that you NEVER accept ANY shipment that shows ANY outward damage. Lowes was completely negligent first by initially accepting the shipment and doubly so with passing it on to a customer. There is no grey area here. Or even worse, once in their possession they damaged the shipment and allowed it to be received by a customer. Dedvw, no criticism of you, you’re just the guy who has been looking forward to the delivery and it is hard to walk away when you think that any issues can be taken care of at a later date. But please believe me you should never have been faced with a decision like that in the first place, all the blame lays somewhere upstream.

View Mainiac Matt 's profile

Mainiac Matt

#13 posted 12-27-2016 03:17 PM

Shipping damage caused by the carrier can usually only be pinned on the carrier if it is noted on the bill of lading when the item is delivered. After that, it’s a bunch of finger pointing and he said-she said contests, and the seller winds up eating the cost, even though it may not have been their fault.

Inadequate packaging is pretty darn common and often contributes to the problem. But as a packaging engineer, I can tell you that no packaging is fail safe and will prevent a fork truck from damaging the product.

Bummer that you got a damaged unit. Good thing Lowes is stepping up to the plate for you.

-- Pine is fine, but Oak's no joke!

View OggieOglethorpe's profile

OggieOglethorpe

#14 posted 12-28-2016 12:09 AM

...and to sell tools to consumers who expect industrial quality at 1970’s prices…

I always find it funny how folks blame shareholders and not competing importers like Grizzly and Harbor Freight who are charting the race to the bottom.

Of course shareholders expect a profit… and most folks with a 401(k) or mutual funds are probably shareholders. How many LJ’s who point the blame of the demise of American tool companies on Wall Street, shareholders, corporate managers, etc… shop often at Grizzly or Harbor Freight? Maybe they make fun of, or put down tools made in first world countries like Festool, Fein, etc… Calling them overpriced, “Festfool”, etc…

Doesn’t anyone wonder how it makes economic sense for companies like Grizzly to reship half a table saw when the customer isn’t happy? ;^) And not want anything back?

View EarlS's profile

EarlS

#15 posted 12-29-2016 06:32 PM

Sad to hear that Delta customer service is so bad. Definitely something to keep in mind on future purchases. At least you were able to get a replacement. Seems like too many of the manufacturers are making cheap junk that falls apart or doesn’t work right and when you try to talk to customer service you run into this kind of thing. Or, you spend a lot of $$ for something and then find out you have to drop even more $$ to get all of the accessories that should come with the piece of equipment.

For big companies, it is all about maximizing profits and not so much about making a good product or having a good reputation.

This kind of experience is why I’m looking at Woodpeckers and other small US based companies for my tools and equipment as much as possible.