Super Value

Review by Ben posted 08-19-2009 06:08 AM 4439 views 0 times favorited 13 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Super Value Super Value Super Value Click the pictures to enlarge them

This is a long review but, I hope it will be useful to someone considering this jointer.

I purchased this jointer a few weeks ago and wanted to put it through it’s paces before reviewing it. This is an excellent machine and is one of my favorite tools in my shop.

I spent a few months contemplating whether or not I even needed a jointer. After reading page after page of online forums I decided to go ahead and pull the trigger. I came really close to purchasing an 8 inch jointer but could not find a name brand 8 inch with less than 2 hp for under $1000 bucks. I was concerned that I would throw a breaker with the 2hp Grizzly wired for 120.

It arrived about 5 days after I purchased it online. I was a little nervous about getting it from the delivery truck to my garage shop. I was surprised when the driver unloaded it with a liftgate and lugged it up my steep driveway with a pallet jack. I tried to tip him but he wouldn’t accept it.

The jointer was shrinkwrapped to a pallet and came in two boxes. It took me about 10 minutes to get everything unpackaged. The base and motor were in one box already assembled. I had my neighbor help me set the table on top of the base. Had he not been around, I think I probably could have lifted the table on to the base alone but, I am glad I didn’t have to chance dropping it and cracking the table or throwing out my back.

Assembly/Fit and Finish

The assembly was a breeze. The table attaches to the base with 3 bolts that have very long hexagonally shaped heads (the heads are at least two inches long) so that you can do most of the tightening by hand. You do have to reach up into the base to tighten the bolts but it is not difficult.

The owners manual is easy to follow and most of the assembly is intuitive.

It came with a good set of push blocks and quality wrenches.

There was a fair amount of rust preventing grease and I spent about 15 minutes cleaning it off.

The fit and finish on this machine are excellent. The fence slides forward and backward like a dream.

Everything was aligned perfectly right out of the box. I went through all the alignment steps in the manual and didn’t have to make any adjustments.

Using the Jointer

Several months ago I milled and resawed some wood from a storm felled walnut tree. The jointer performed flawlessly. I was so pleased to have my own “free lumber”. (Free——-less the price of all the tools I purchased but, isn’t that half the fun?)

I can’t attest to the quick set knives as I have not had to change them yet.

This machine comes with a five year warranty.

Cons

This jointer only has six inches of face jointing capacity. I know the day will come that I have an 8 inch wide board that I will have to rip first in order to properly flatten one side.

My only other problem was with the dust collecting shroud. Do not attach it if you don’t plan to hook it up to a dust collector. It will clog up the jointer and start blowing chips everywhere. If you don’t have a dust collector, simply leave the shroud off and the chips will fall neatly down the chute into a well placed mop bucket.

All in all, this jointer is an exceptional value. I would recommend it to anyone in the market for a 6 inch jointer.

View oldwoodman's profile

oldwoodman

#1 posted 08-19-2009 07:10 AM

Ben,

Thanks for the review. I have looked at this jointer as well. As of now, I am still getting by with my old one. Maybe someday.

View Walnut_Weasel's profile

Walnut_Weasel

360 posts in 1973 days

#2 posted 08-19-2009 02:51 PM

Thanks for the good review. It sounds like you made a good choice.

-- James - www.walnutweasel.wordpress.com

View Tim_456's profile

Tim_456

#3 posted 08-19-2009 08:22 PM

Congrats on the new tool! Will you be picking up a planer to go along with the jointer?

View PurpLev's profile

PurpLev

#4 posted 08-19-2009 08:34 PM

great review, thanks!

now – how about some photos of those walnut slabs you milled on it?

-- ㊍ When in doubt - There is no doubt - Go the safer route.

View Chris 's profile

Chris

#5 posted 08-19-2009 11:11 PM

Good review Ben… I found it helpful as I am in the hunt for a jointer as well.

#6 posted 08-20-2009 03:21 AM

Tim I have had a planer for a while and thought I could get by without the jointer but the planer just won’t get the stock flat without jointing one side first.

PurpLev, I am in the process of building a medicine cabinet with the walnut and should be done in a couple of days. When I finish I will post a picture of it along with some of the walnut boards that I milled and haven’t used. I can’t figure out how to post anymore pictures to this particular thread.

View newguy's profile

newguy

#7 posted 08-20-2009 04:29 AM

Thanks for the post as I’ve been trying to figure out the best 6 inch jointer at a reasonable price. Think I’ll take a look at this one for sure.

-- Fred, Parker, Colorado

#8 posted 08-20-2009 04:33 AM

thanks for the review

#9 posted 08-20-2009 06:25 AM

”Cons= This jointer only has six inches of face jointing capacity.”

How can you list this as a “con” ???.....You bought a 6” jointer , Bro !
It might well be a “con” if you bought the 8” jointer and were only able to mill 6 inches of your board with it.
I don’t think that the dust collecting shroud is a “con” either if it works properly with the dust collector hooked up to it . Kind of sounds like it is doing what it was intended to do and what you’re actually describing is known as Operator Error . Other than that , nice review and great pictures of a fine machine !
Happy Woodworking , Ben : )

#10 posted 08-20-2009 07:13 PM

I agree that the jointer does everything it is intended to do and that it is pretty much perfect in ever way. It took me a while to come up with any “cons” at all. I guess I should have labeled that paragraph “operator errors”.

View moshel's profile

moshel

#11 posted 08-21-2009 03:33 AM

Surprisingly, there is someone that brings this jointer to my little island. the problem is that its priced at almost 1000 USD…

-- The woods are lovely, dark and deep, but I have promises to keep...

View BTM's profile

BTM

6 posts in 2031 days

#12 posted 08-21-2009 05:20 AM

i have this jointer as well and would like to add that the extra ~10” of bed length versus the “non-deluxe” version is a great thing to have. My research led me to conclude this was the best jointer option for a 110volt constraint.

View moshel's profile

moshel

#13 posted 08-21-2009 07:02 AM

Ah, is the non deluxe version JJ-6CSX? thats what we have here.

-- The woods are lovely, dark and deep, but I have promises to keep...