An Exceptioinal Hand-Cut Rasp Alternative

Review by BigRedKnothead posted 12-23-2016 02:35 AM 4864 views 6 times favorited 11 comments Add to Favorites Watch
An Exceptioinal Hand-Cut Rasp Alternative No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Most woodworkers have heard of the qualites of hand cut/stiched rasps. They’re not the same animal as the machine-made buggers. But, like anything hand-made….Auriou, Liogier, Gramercy, those babies are expensive.

Well, those crazy Italians came up with another option. What if you could use CNC technology to imitate the hand cur rasp? Well, they’ve done it. The Corradi company makes all kinds of files and rasps, but they call this their”Gold”line. You can read more about it on their site.

I picked up a Corradi Gold:

Cabinet 10” 8 cut
Cabinet 10” 10 cut
Round 6” 10 cut
Halfround 6” 10 cut

Here’s a shot of the Corradi next to a hand-cut Gramercy. See the wavy pattern on the Corradi:

Today I spent some time with my new Corradi Gold rasps, as well as some Auriou and Gramercy offerings. A friend and I tried them on all sorts of woods. All of the rasps seem to do better on harder woods. Ten grain or equivalents can give a nearly finish ready surface on white oak. This is good news to woodworrkers, because these rasps sell for about $40-50. Half the price or more than their competitors.

Corradi claims their rasps will last longer. I have to agree with the tooth makeup, but time will tell.

Each brand has it’s little quirks. The only knock we could say about the Corradi Gold Cabinet was that we wished they had a spear point, like the others. And, we’d like them to expand the line a bit with more options (Modelers etc).

Corradi’s don’t come with the handle included. They offer palisander handles for another $7-8. Handles are another way to save cash, but I had to try them.

The handles come unfinished with a nice thick ferrule, but need drilled. I couldn’t help myself. I sanded them a little more, then wiped on a coat of shellac and wax. After that they were as nice as the Auriou’s handles.

You can find Corradi rifflers on Lee Valley and Woodcraft, but not the Gold series. Thus, the biggest challenge with the Corradi Gold rasps is that they don’t have a North American distributor as of yet. The shipping and duties for an order is about $40. Ouch. Although the Fedex service is for real. You will get your order in a couple days.

So, $50 for one rasp, and $40 for international shipping, there isn’t a whole lot of savings over a $130 Auriou. But for four rasps, your down to $10 shipping a piece. They also run specials – got mine 10%off. I saw they had free shipping in the past for orders over $250. I recommend woodworkers working together on an order.

I’ve got nothing but respect for Auriou and the other fine rasp makers out there. Some people swear by them. But, these are fine tools too. I believe they will change the market for high-quality rasps. I look forward to working more curves into my furniture.

Take care, Red

-- "At the end of the day, try and make it beautiful....because the world is full of ugly." Konrad Sauer

View Hammerthumb's profile

Hammerthumb

#1 posted 12-23-2016 02:51 AM

Red- if you want to put together an order, let me know. I’m in.

-- Paul, Las Vegas

#2 posted 12-23-2016 02:57 AM

Heh, I ordered several, so I’m probably good for awhile. There might be others interested though;)

View summerfi's profile

summerfi

#3 posted 12-23-2016 03:02 AM

Thanks for this, Red. I briefly put my new 6” Corradi to wood today and the first impression was good. In appearance, the rasp exudes quality. It removes wood quickly and leaves a smooth finish. I’m anxious to try it more, and expect to soon. I wish they made an 8” rasp, as there is a gap between the 6” half-round and the 10” cabinet. Perhaps they will in the future, and by then maybe there will also be a US distributor. Thanks for letting my rasp tag along on your order. Happy rasping!

-- Bob, Missoula, MT -- Rocky Mountain Saw Works http://www.rmsaws.com/p/about-us.html

View bobasaurus's profile

bobasaurus

#4 posted 12-23-2016 05:16 AM

Thanks for reviewing them, I’ve been wondering how they work since randomly finding the company on instagram. The lack of spear point on the bigger rasps is a bit odd, though for finer work that would require the spear you’d typically use a smaller rasp anyways.

-- Allen, Colorado (Instagram @bobasaurus_woodworking)

View bearkatwood's profile

bearkatwood

#5 posted 12-23-2016 01:25 PM

Cool stuff Red, Thanks.

-- Brian Noel

View duckmilk's profile

duckmilk

#6 posted 12-23-2016 10:10 PM

Thanks for the review Dan. Could tell me the fineness for each one you ordered? Looking forward to more information from you after you have used them some more.

-- "Duck and Bob would be out doin some farming with funny hats on." chrisstef

View Brit's profile

Brit

#7 posted 12-24-2016 11:00 AM

They look like a great alternative Red. Hopefully they will make a left-handed version of them too at some point as that is the one thing that would have made me still buy the Liogiers that I have. It will be interesting to see if Liogier or Auriou try to rubbish the Corradi. If they don’t then that’s an endorsement right there.

-- https://www.clickasnap.com/Andy61 - Andy - Old Chinese proverb says: "If you think something can't be done, don't interrupt man who is doing it."

View Brit's profile

Brit

#8 posted 12-24-2016 11:42 AM

Just seen that Corradi are claiming their rasps are for right and left-handed use.

One observation (and that is all it is) without comparing them myself is that although Corradi sight the increased tooth count as an advantage, I think the spacing on Liogier and Auriou rasps is there to reduce clogging.

View Roger's profile

20873 posts in 2619 days

#9 posted 12-24-2016 02:07 PM

Wow! Thnx for the review and info.

#10 posted 12-24-2016 02:23 PM

Duck- good point, I revised the review to include the rasps I bought. I mostly bought their finest (10 cut) because that was my greatest need. I have some decent course rasps, and fine cut is where you really notice the difference of a quality rasp.

- Brit

I’ve wandered that, or will the hand stitchers eyes fall out of his head if the tries to stitch them any closer:-)

I didn’t speak to clogging because their wasn’t a huge difference. They all clogged and need to be brushed. We did not the Corradi seemed to continue cutting effectly even when it was filling with dust.

View realcowtown_eric's profile

realcowtown_eric

#11 posted 02-20-2017 05:51 AM

well that’s a job that trump can’t bring back eh?

#bring jobs back