The perfect solution for my Powermatic 66

Review by Holbs posted 12-21-2016 02:25 AM 2809 views 2 times favorited 11 comments Add to Favorites Watch
The perfect solution for my Powermatic 66 The perfect solution for my Powermatic 66 No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

With my shop overhead dust collection completed, I knew the next thing to tackle was overhead dust collection for my Powermatic 66. The existing PM66 splitter was a pain, like any original splitter. I also needed a blade guard that I could see through. And finally, needed dust collection to end the spray of debris back toward my face during cuts. I have my PM66 face to face with my Unisaw (which also has my BenchDog cast iron router table fitted), so any Excalibur or Unisaw boom arm would not work. Shark Guard to the rescue! I can easily fit my overhead 4” hose directly to the top of the Shark Guard. And this splitter assembly is a breeze to install/remove in less than 30 seconds. It comes with 3 splitter heights (I installed the medium one). You have the option of standard kerf (this is what I went for since I have 2 Forrest Woodworker II’s) and thin kerf, and also the option of 2 1/2” or 4” dust collection port. Had no trouble sliding 3/4” plywood underneath during a cut. I installed in within 10 minutes of the USPS dropping off at my front porch. And the customer service? Wow! I purchased this on the evening of Dec 12th worried that it would not arrive anytime soon due to the holiday season and backorders and lead time. But Lee Styron came through and it was manufactured and shipped and arrived this Dec 20th. I feel much much safer with this quality splitter. I feel much much happier that I finally have fantastic overhead dust collection. And I feel gratitude at Lee for getting this out so quick. Don’t distress over the USPS package…I tore into this thing fast so it doesn’t look pretty.

Here is my first run video of the Shark Guard in action:

View on YouTube

View AZWoody's profile

AZWoody

#1 posted 12-21-2016 02:29 AM

I’ve really been happy with mine. I got lucky and got mine the same week I ordered it but would have been worth it if I had to wait for the wait time they say it would take.

The roller on the front is a great idea to help it lift over and allow the lumber to travel smoothly under.

View KelleyCrafts's profile

KelleyCrafts

#2 posted 12-21-2016 05:03 AM

Mine was supposed to deliver today but usps hasn’t updated the shipping info since the 18th while it says 20th on the delivery day. Kind of bummed on that but looking forward to getting mine for my PM 72.

-- http://kelleycrafts.com/ - pen blanks - knife scales - turning tools

View AandCstyle's profile

AandCstyle

2905 posts in 2095 days

#3 posted 12-21-2016 10:40 PM

Hey, Holbs, congrats on the SharkGuard. The front wheels are a new feature since I got mine, also, for a PM66. Lee seems to have reduced his lead time dramatically, I think mine took almost 3 months from order to arrival.

-- Art

View michelletwo's profile

michelletwo

#4 posted 12-22-2016 11:38 AM

thanks for this early review. I have debated about this for my 80’s era delta contractor’s saw, but have put it off. I hope you give us an update when you have used it for awhile and using various woods & cutting angles, etc.

View Roger's profile

20874 posts in 2642 days

#5 posted 12-22-2016 02:20 PM

Thnx for your review. I’d like to add some dust collection at my blade in the future. Hopefully sooner than later.

View OggieOglethorpe's profile

OggieOglethorpe

1276 posts in 1948 days

#6 posted 12-24-2016 12:01 AM

I’m glad your happy, but you never use sleds?

#7 posted 12-24-2016 01:21 AM

I have not needed a sled, as of yet, though I’m sure I may get to one someday. I have my Bosch compound miter saw and a Incra SD miter sled which fulfills my needs so far. I can swiftly remove or install this assembly in under 30 seconds if ever needed.

#8 posted 12-28-2016 02:36 AM

Michelle.. this replaces the original splitter by bolting to the old location. It is fixed at 90 degrees. Would not work for angled cuts. I knew that when purchasing this item. Tis why I still have my bosch 4100 for MDF and outside of workshop cuts and those angled when I need the added safety of the bosch riving knife

View MPMaint's profile

MPMaint

#9 posted 12-30-2016 12:51 AM

I bought one about 6 mo’s ago. Took awhile to get it, I think they forgot about me but it was well worth the wait. Quick and easy to remove and install. Well worth the money. Im pleased with the quality as well.

View KelleyCrafts's profile

KelleyCrafts

#10 posted 01-03-2017 03:07 AM

Finally got mine a week later than expected (not Lee’s fault, USPS had an issue). I put it through it’s paces pretty heavy on my giant PM72 and it worked flawlessly. It wasn’t cheap but wasn’t expensive either. Well worth the cost.

-- http://kelleycrafts.com/ - pen blanks - knife scales - turning tools

View sfrobk's profile

sfrobk

#11 posted 12-13-2017 05:49 PM

I m glad your happy, but you never use sleds?

- OggieOglethorpe

I’m thinking of one of these for my PM64A (splitter or riving knife varieties), and it appears that the front of the guard is angled enough to glide up and over the back of a cross cut sled. Am I wrong?