Triton Router

Review by Ed Elizondo posted 1706 days ago 9054 views 0 times favorited 16 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Triton Router Triton Router No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I purchased the Triton 3 1/4 HP back in April of this year at the Houston Woodworking Show. I didn’t have a chance to use until just a few weeks ago. I loved the action while using the plunge and the soft start made it easy to handle and manuver. Having the variable speed made it easy when using the larger bits for raised panels. I currently have it mounted on my router table and while although I wish I had the hand crank to raise and lower the bit, I make do adjusting under the table. The safety feature of not being able to raise the spindle into the lock position unless the power switch is in the off position is actually a good thing. Safety first. I give a five star rating because so far it has done everything I have needed it to do and give me excellent results when used correctly.

81 posts in 2026 days

View a1Jim's profile (online now)

109427 posts in 2080 days

Thanks for the review

View Scott Bryan's profile (online now)

Thanks for the review, Ed. I have been considering one of these.

81 posts in 2026 days

One thing I forgot to mention was that when you do buy the Triton, that you ensure that the face plate will take the guide bushings well. I had trouble with the face plate as the guide bushings did not seat flush with the face plate. This caused me to purchase another face plate that was complatible with the bushings. This was a minor issue for me as I planned to use the Triton for the router table anyway. But for those of you that will use it with the guide bushings make sure that the bushings fit flush and you don’t have the bushing extending a 1/16 or as much as an 1/8 of an inch beyond the face plate.

View HokieMojo's profile

HokieMojo

2094 posts in 2231 days

I have wanted one of these for the longest time.

View Robert Herring's profile

Robert Herring

I can’t find a Triton available. My local woodworking shop said they can’t get them right now. Triton sold out to another company, they say. Does anyone know where they can be purchased?

-- Robert M. Herring

81 posts in 2026 days

Try sommerfeld tools. That is where I bought mine from. Also Woodcraft supply had them at one time.

View Robert Herring's profile

Robert Herring

Thanks Ed!. I checked Sommerfeld and they do have it.

By the way, what model do you have?

Robert

-- Robert M. Herring

View CreekWoodworker's profile

CreekWoodworker

Ed, I bought the 2 1/4 HP model earlier this year at Woodcraft but I see they don’t carry it anymore. I mounted mine on my router table also but this model does include the hand crank. It works well; I have no complaints.

-- Mike ...Success is often the result of taking a misstep in the right direction

View BTM's profile

BTM

I have the 2.25 HP version of this tool permanently mounted in a table. I love it.

although my version does have the above table handle, i find that i have not had a reason to use it in over a year of use. below table height adjustments are easy and precise, and below table activity is required to change bits (the safety switch and locking mechanism). If i’m going to be down there for those two reasons, i might as well set the height too.

81 posts in 2026 days

Here is a link to show how to correctly use the base for the guide bushings. I guess if I had read the instructions I would have installed the guide bushing base correctly and it wouldn’t have portruded and be used correctly. Sorry guys, like most guys I ditched the instructions. We dunt need no stinking instructions. yeah right. This site has alot of useful tips.
www.stusshed.wordpress.com/2008/01/26/triton-router-template-guides/

View kfrisbie's profile

kfrisbie

27 posts in 1916 days

I have that model in my table and I love it, gonna get a Router Razer fer it for above table adjustments…

-- Ken, Tallahassee,FL

View Budgieman's profile

Budgieman

I’ve got both the 2.25 and the 3.25 HP models (240V Australian models)
They are both fantastic.
The 3.25 is really too big to hand hold – hence the 2.25.

The 3.25 was the original model and the 2.25 came later – with a few updates like the through the table winder and the bushings included. There is a bushing kit available for the 3.25 (that appears to be identical to the bushings that come with the 2.25)

The bad news is that Triton went bust some months ago, but there is strong talk of a revival, however I don’t know if this includes the power tools or just the components like the workcentre etc.
Keep an eye on the TRiton forum at http://www.woodworkforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15 for news.

-- Budgieman, Sydney, Australia

View kosta's profile

kosta

triton is a good company but they make there measurements in metric so it hard to tell what the number in inches

-- kosta Virginia Beach, VA http://www.kostasworkshop.blogspot.com/

View spaids's profile

spaids

3.25 HP feature update?

I was in Woodcraft this week and looked at the 3.25 HP router. I have the 2.25 HP and like it very much. The thing I thought was odd was how the 2.25 seemed better for table use than the 3.25 only for the above the table height control that was included with the 2.25. I mean it seems obvious to all of us that the 3.25 is the one that you most want the above table height control. Well the one I saw two days ago. the 3.25 HP at Woodcraft did indeed have this feature. The sales guy at Woodcraft said it was an upgrade to the model that came out 6 months ago. For me that would make the 3.25 HP Triton my first pick for a table mounted router. I don’t think anything at that price point can beat it.

-- Wipe the blood stains from your blade before coming in.--

View goggy's profile

goggy

60 posts in 1919 days

Recently received one as a birthday gift which I installed on my latest project post (router table). My kids got it from Woodcraft and it did come with the above table adj. feature ($269).