Sommerfeld Router Table and Fence

Review by akdale posted 08-14-2009 06:27 AM 8824 views 0 times favorited 5 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Sommerfeld Router Table and Fence Sommerfeld Router Table and Fence No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Large top and well made.

Ordered this top 2 years ago. Took a while to arrive and when it did the center section was crowned. The table comes in 3 sections of extruded aluminum that you bolt together. I email Sommerfeld and they explained this was a manufacturing issue and that a new section would be mailed. It was, 2 months later. I was told to keep the old section, was only billed for the table, no shipping for the first one or replacement section and they tossed in a well made shop arpon. The wait was no fun but I was treated well and continue to purchase from them. Customer service from this has been superb Anyway on the to the review.

The table is pretty massive at 36’ by 27’ with a fence of 48 by 4 3/4. The sections are anodized aluminum and bolt together. They are extruded with tongue and groove to make this easy. Once bolted together it is suggested that you mount to a 3/4 ply top which I did. The hole patterns they had in the instructions were incorrect but no big deal there.

Side rails are bolted to the top for fence installing/adjustment.

Once mounted to my cabinet I noticed one small nic in the aluminum top so I sanded that down flat so my wood items did not get marred. This removed some of the gold anodizing. Other than that everything was perfect with the top. The top is dead flat at any angle.

The router I chose was the triton 2 1/2hp. It mounted no problem. The top has a predrilled hole for the raiser that comes with the router so making above table height adjustments is very easy.

The original table came with three round inserts for the different sized bits. These were aluminum. I noticed the new table selling at Sommerfelds came with eight of these. I emailed them asking how much for the additional five. The sent me all eight for free. The new ones are plastice but they do lock into the table better than the original ones and did I mention…..they were FREE! Again, superb customer service.

The fence has a spring loaded post that you use to pivot the fence for making adjustments easy. the other end uses a large knob to tighten and losen the fence in the track. This system works great. The plastic fence inserts were not dead flat so I ran them through my planer and shaved a very small amount off the back of one of them. This corrected the problem.

Dust extraction is very good. I have a Jet dust collection system attached to the table via a somewhat cheezy ducting system and it works great.

To date I have made a complete set of kitchen cabinets with raised panel doors (actually in progess on this one but almost done as of Aug 09), laundry room cabinets, bathroom vanity and a walk in closet using this table. I have no complaints about the performance. there were only the minor issues with the table and I have come to learn that NOTHING is perfect. The cusomter service of Sommerfelds is top notch. I have purchased the table, router and bit sets from them. Will continue to buy from them. I only gave the table 4 stars because well as I said NOTHING man made is perfect.

View oldwoodman's profile

oldwoodman

137 posts in 2051 days

#1 posted 08-16-2009 05:58 AM

Thanks for the review. I watched a demonstration of this system at the Sacramento Woodworking Show last April. I was intrigued, but did not purchase the setup. But I will have to keep this setup in mind for the future.

112083 posts in 2230 days

#2 posted 08-16-2009 06:17 AM

Looks like an interesting table but 2 years?

#3 posted 08-16-2009 07:05 AM

yep 2 years. bought in 12/06 but ended up early 07 before I received all the pieces.

View Ed Elizondo's profile

Ed Elizondo

#4 posted 08-19-2009 01:25 AM

I saw the demo at the Houston Woodworking show. Mark was not there but his partner was. He made the set up look easy, Hmmm. He ran thru all of the router bits that they offer and again it all looked easy. I have thought about buying the system but then what I currently have, doesn’t look great but it works, is good for what I need now. Later on maybe. I like their matched pair of router bits and I bought the Triton 3 1/4 HP from them while there. I think that the table is a little more than what I want to pay, alomost $600. I also bought their videos and when I applied their principles on the bits they were great. I hope you have many good hours of use on your table. Ed.

-- Ed E. " Taking one board at a time "

#5 posted 08-19-2009 07:17 AM

Prices have gone up. I paid $499. More than I wanted to but 2+ years later I am glad I did it. I am now making my complete kitchen cabinets. Setup and transitions from bit to bit are fast and yes, easy. It was a one time purchase and the money I am saving on building my own cabinets has more than paid for it. There are others out there that look quite good and are in the price range so if I were doing it again I am not sure what road I would go down.