I love my Router Boss!

Review by Rick posted 08-12-2009 08:04 PM 20214 views 2 times favorited 55 comments Add to Favorites Watch
I love my Router Boss! I love my Router Boss! I love my Router Boss! Click the pictures to enlarge them

I’m a perfectionist. I only have a few projects under my belt but each one has been seems to be a leap in quality from the last. I was wanting to do dovetails, lots of inlay and complex joinery. I wanted to do it all but it seemed like I was going to be making alot of router jigs, bandsaw jigs and table saw jigs. I didn’t want to spend all of my time making jigs though. I wanted to spend it making these projects I see in my head. In my head they’re perfect and I won’t be satisfied with anything less.

I stumbled upon a review for the Router Boss and thought, WOW this is the machine that can take me up the next level. But the more I leaned about it the more I realized something. This was going to jump me up Several levels in quality, repeatability and control.

I wanted one but the price made me stand back for a few more weeks. I read more reviews and called the owner several times to talk about the machine. I bit the bullet and got the 42 inch with loads of extras.

I’ve made several things for my shop with it but I haven’t had the time to produce anything worth putting on here yet. I’m still getting my shop up and running so I used it to make all the drawers for my tool chest under my bench.

I could go on for quite a while telling you more about it, and I may in the future, but you can learn so much more by visiting http://craftsmangallery.com/ or calling and talking to Lewis. There are also some great instructional videos on their website.

You guys deserve to get some real pictures of mine so I’ll have to do that when I get some time.

Update:4-26-10
I forgot that I’d promised pictures. I made much of the following 2 projects with the Router Boss.

#1 posted 08-12-2009 08:28 PM

You bet I did. Gotta have the DRO. I didn’t get the vertical DRO though. I prefer to use brass setup blocks. I did get the precision stops, spiral bits, clamps and centering bit.
I’ve visited Franks woodshop. He’s the guy that does the videos for Lewis. Frank’s a great guy. We messed around in his shop for a few hours before I even realize 1 hour had passed.

View RBWoodworker's profile

RBWoodworker

#2 posted 08-13-2009 07:46 PM

Ok..can anyone give me a link of where u buy these things? I am interested in getting one myself

-- Randall Child http://www.racfurniture.com/

#3 posted 08-13-2009 08:06 PM

I posted a link in my review. Get yourself an R.B.

View RBWoodworker's profile

RBWoodworker

#4 posted 08-13-2009 08:13 PM

Got it.. that’s great!! I love it..

-- Randall Child http://www.racfurniture.com/

#5 posted 08-14-2009 01:15 AM

The only thing worse than having a router boss and not being able to use it is having a WoodRat and not having time to use it…worse because I have had it longer (before the Boss was made).

View VirgilJohnson's profile

VirgilJohnson

7 posts in 1977 days

#6 posted 08-15-2009 11:02 PM

I looked at the videos and what I did not see was a way of putting mortise in the end of a rail.
I am thinking of 2 or 3 foot rail or longer.

Can the RB do this?

Virgil

View VirgilJohnson's profile

VirgilJohnson

7 posts in 1977 days

#7 posted 08-16-2009 01:16 AM

Sounds great Dave.

I thing 4 feet would be the longest I would need for what I do.
I was thinking of balusters and porch rails.

Thanks.

Virgil

#8 posted 08-16-2009 04:19 AM

DaveR, what do you think the differences are? between the Rat and the Boss?

#9 posted 08-16-2009 04:24 AM

Looks like some happy owners.

#10 posted 08-16-2009 12:56 PM

Thanks for the comprehensive comparisons Dave. That gives me the info I wanted. I have an extensive cabinet makeover coming up and I had been considering a Router Boss. I use the Hitachi now (close out special at Lowes) but I like the dust collection chute on the DeWalt. I agree about the “look alike” band saws. Mine is so old that it still says Rockwall.
I have seen the arguments and it reminds me of the Festool-EZ Smart owners going back and forth.

Thanks again DaveR

#11 posted 08-16-2009 03:33 PM

Yes, I do have the WR but I am seriously considering the RB. I have been checking out Aldel’s site and I like what I see.

View Tim Dorcas's profile

Tim Dorcas

#12 posted 08-16-2009 10:49 PM

Doesn’t anyone have problems in terms how long it takes to set this machine up? In the demonstration video they had a couple of different machines so it was hard to tell how long it would take to switch between setups. That always makes me nervous. And with all of the accessories it looks like this machine is over $1000. I would be interested to hear about this.

Tim

-- www.craftedbytim.com - A Woodworking & Renovation Blog & www.craftedbytim.com - I make. You buy.

#13 posted 08-16-2009 11:49 PM

Dave’s right. But it’s good question to ask. I contemplated it many times too. And there are times where I wish I didn’t have to change to this attachment or that one. But then I realize what that would be, a cnc machine and I think those start at $5,000.

View Tim Dorcas's profile

Tim Dorcas

#14 posted 08-18-2009 06:19 AM

Given the responses, I’ll have to reconsider this. I’m a sucker for these kind of jigs (Dowelmax, Jessem Zip Slot, Akeda dovetail, Woodline Dadomax ect.) but as I mentioned it seemed overly complicated for the price. Thanks for the review and comments!

View Todd A. Clippinger's profile

Todd A. Clippinger

#15 posted 08-18-2009 07:16 AM

I have a WoodRat and really enjoy it. I have not used it to it’s full potential but like Dave says, it is the go to machine.

For what it costs it is a good deal. It is accurate and it allows me to mill material in a way that makes more sense for many projects.

I could see that the improvements in the Router Boss would be worth having, but my wife would notice a repurchase and that could be the death of me.

I use two DeWalt routers with the plunge bars set up on their own phenolic base. I change the base with router instead of changing bits. The routers keep their settings and this is valuable to me as a business.

-- Todd A. Clippinger, Montana, http://americancraftsmanworkshop.com