Shop Fox Safety Issue - Be Warned

Review by becikeja posted 12-10-2016 03:15 PM 2542 views 0 times favorited 13 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Shop Fox Safety Issue - Be Warned Shop Fox Safety Issue - Be Warned Shop Fox Safety Issue - Be Warned Click the pictures to enlarge them

I have a small hobby shop and like to have my tools on mobile bases. The Shop Fox Mobile base seemed well made and strong. Assembly was simple enough, and it was easy to move into place and with a simple turn of the stabilizing screws quickly became immobilized when the bandsaw was in use. I was very happy with the product.

A couple of weeks ago I took on the task of cleaning the shop. Behind the Bandsaw I found a chunk of rubber. I could not figure out where it came from. Then I began to roll the bandsaw out and it kept sticking and was not rolling right, I gave it a quick tug and almost tipped it over. The outer rubber layer of the wheel had been coming off the underlying plastic wheel as you can see in the pictures. As I looked at the other wheels, I noticed this to be the case on 3 of the 4 wheels. In my experience with the bandsaw becoming unstable I see this as Safety concern and decided to post this review to warn my fellow woodworkers.

I contacted Shop Fox tech support a couple of weeks ago to advise them of this safety issue. Andrew C. quickly responded ”We are sorry to hear about the problem you are experiencing with your SHOP FOX ADJUSTABLE MOBILE BASE. The warranty coverage for the SHOP FOX ADJUSTABLE MOBILE BASE is valid (1) year from its date of purchase. ” Really, you’re product is literally falling apart, and risking injury to your customers and the response is a simple “Its out of warranty” You can’t make this stuff up. I just hope no one is severely injured due to the product failure and poor quality of the product. Be Warned, if you buy this product be prepared to replace the wheels in a couple years.

-- Don't outsmart your common sense

View becikeja's profile

becikeja

View Redoak49's profile

Redoak49

#1 posted 12-10-2016 06:40 PM

Thanks for the review…Will stay away from this mobile base

#2 posted 12-10-2016 09:44 PM

Ouch, I hope that the new casters costs would not be anywhere near the price of a new base

-- Norman - I never never make a mistake, I just change the design.

View Mike Hillman's profile

Mike Hillman

#3 posted 12-10-2016 09:44 PM

View Cajun Wood Artist's profile

Cajun Wood Artist

#4 posted 12-10-2016 10:38 PM

Sorry to hear you got a mobile base with the defective wheels. Their response from Shop fox is not what i would have expected either.

I have four of the Shop fox mobile bases…one for my table saw, jointer. planer and bandsaw. They have been in use for almost 10 years and so far they all seem to be hoiling up as they should be.

-- Wood for projects is like a good Fart..."better when you cut it yourself"

View ChuckV's profile

ChuckV

#5 posted 12-11-2016 01:27 AM

It is not just your casters. There are many such reports out there on Amazon and elsewhere such as here:

-- “Big man, pig man, ha ha, charade you are.” ― R. Waters

View GR8HUNTER's profile

GR8HUNTER

#6 posted 12-11-2016 03:35 AM

sorry to hear about your bases failing …... everything in the world is definitely made cheaper today then in years past

-- Tony Reinholds,Pa. REMEMBER TO ALWAYS HAVE FUN

View JAAune's profile

JAAune

#7 posted 12-12-2016 03:21 AM

Sounds like they coated plastic wheels in rubber so they could call them rubber wheels. They ought to be solid rubber or solid plastic and not coated.

-- See my work at http://remmertstudios.com and http://altaredesign.com

View wuddoc's profile

wuddoc

#8 posted 12-12-2016 04:56 AM

I had the same problem and found I could substitute the rubber coated casters with the steel casters found on the Shop Fox / Grizzly Super-Heavy Duty mobile base.

-- Wuddoc

View ocean's profile

ocean

#9 posted 12-13-2016 06:25 PM

For anyone who owns a boat on a trailer, we already know that rubber coated plastic or all rubber wheels can not stand up to pressure for more than a year or less before they deform and come apart under regular use. Urethane rollers on trailers do not deform and outlast rubber/plastic rollers by many years. My boat trailer has urethane roller and they are 10 years old and have not deformed and roll like they are new (boat weights 3500 lbs.). So with that bit of knowledge, look for urethane casters. They are more expensive but worth the cost. My lumber cart weights in at 400+ pounds and moves around just fine after 8 years. Urethane is the way to go. Don’t be fooled by the colored wheels on the market that claim to be urethane. Unless they say “urethane” they aren’t.

-- Bob, FL Keys

#10 posted 12-13-2016 06:41 PM

Yep, thx for sharing I make my own. Had the same trouble.

View dmo0430's profile

dmo0430

#11 posted 12-15-2016 07:43 PM

I agree with “ocean”. The first mobile base I made I had the same thing happen as OP. It was for a tablesaw though not a bandsaw so not as top heavy.

View becikeja's profile

becikeja

#12 posted 12-15-2016 10:17 PM

Wow, I had no idea the problem was this far spread. They do make a nice base, it’s ashame they can’t install decent wheels.

-- Don't outsmart your common sense

View PRGDesigns's profile

PRGDesigns

#13 posted 12-24-2016 04:44 AM

Yep, all of my Shop Fox casters delaminated, but long after the warranty period ended. The tools were mostly stationary, but with occasional movement. It’s my understanding they need to be moved frequently to avoid a pressure point developing on the casters. I expected them to last longer than they did, because changing them out is challenging. Live and learn. I’ve also converted some of my Woodcraft polyurethane casters over to steel casters due to similar delaminatibg issues.

-- They call me Mr. Silly