Excellent Saw, Great Power, Good Price

Review by wildbill903 posted 2397 days ago 11660 views 0 times favorited 9 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Excellent Saw, Great Power, Good Price Excellent Saw, Great Power, Good Price Excellent Saw, Great Power, Good Price Click the pictures to enlarge them

I purchased the 10” Hybrid saw in December last year, so it has been in the shop fewer than two months. But in these two months we have grown quite close. My wife named her “Biesy Baby” after the fence.
I’ll touch on a few of the more important points in my review of the saw, and hopefully add some insight into your shopping experience.

Features:
The saw came, as the name states, with the left tilt feature. Two noted luxuries this affords are in large mitred-edge panels and simple raised panel creation. (see the third photo.) Setup is a breeze, the handwheels are easily moved adn the blade brought to position without trouble.
The 36-714B came with an enhanced mitre guage, which I was quite pleased to see, and am even more pleased to be using. The fence is long and easily repositioned to get it right up next to the blade for zero clearance miters. The length and height of the fence assists in mitering long boards, and has more or less replaced my old craftsman chop saw in creating angled cuts.
I opted for the 30” Biesmeyer Fence upgrade, and venture to say that it helps make the saw the success in my shop that it is. With some shop time and some time calibrating, it has become one of the most precise instruments in my shop. Thats a good base of operations, being that the tablesaw is probably now the most used tool within that space.
The final thing about this saw that attracted me is that the arbor can accomodate up to a 13/16” dado set, which will com in handy in the immediate future for my shop.

Capabilities:
Perhaps the most distinguishing charachteristic that the Hybrid has from it’s big brother Unisaw is the smaller motor and lesser horsepower. I must say, though, I do not run a production woodworking or industrial cabinet manufacturing plant, so I saw no need to invest in the larger powerplant. I plan on doing no more than 4 or 5 major projects in a years time, merely one of them a custom kitchen, so I see this as adequate.
The saw has exhibited minimal bogging down for me, having tested it on a 4×4 chunk of mahogany. Keeping in mind that the blade is less than 2 months old, but it is the one that came with the saw (40 tooth combo, I think.)

Price Tag
When I saw this online and decided to shop it around, I got pricing anywhere from $1100 plus shipping to $1350 or so plus shipping. I already knew where I was going, but I wanted to get an idea of how much I would be shelling out. Living in Northern New Jersey, there is only one guy in my area you can go to for a tool like this and get treated right. He got it in for me in about 2 weeks, and at the lower end of that price spectrum. With a Unisaw twice that, I think my money is well spent.

Noted Notables
Just a few points here.
Perhaps the most bothersome feature, for me, on this saw are the raise/lower and tilt locking knobs. They function, but are small, triangular and plastic. Sometimes after a day in the shop my hands can ache to the point where they become difficult to cinch down.
Your gonna need an outfeed table. Duh. Just build one. I haven’t yet, but am going to. You could buy one too, there are some real nice roller-style ones.
Finally, know this this saw, as any cabinet-style saw, is gonna weigh a ton. The 36-714B clocked in at around 300 lbs. Know where you plan on getting this, getting it out of when you move, or you may be setting up a tent on your patio over it.

Thats all from me on this one, I’m gonna go through the shop and see what else I got.
Feel free to shoot me an email or message in regards to the saw (or anything else.)
Happy Woodworking!

View wildbill903's profile

wildbill903

View gizmodyne's profile

gizmodyne

Hey. Great review. Very complete. That left tilt is interesting.

-- -John "Do I have to keep typing a smiley? Just assume it's a joke." www.flickr.com/photos/gizmodyne

View wildbill903's profile

wildbill903

Thanks, Gizmo! I’m loving it so far.

View gizmodyne's profile

gizmodyne

Hi again.

I think you can buy metal knobs to replace the plastic ones. They should not cost too much either.

View Kipster's profile

Kipster

Nice review. Thank you.

-- Kip Northern Illinois ( If you don't know where your goin any road will take you there) George Harrison

View deucefour's profile

deucefour

Thanks, your review helps

-- "I gotta have more cowbell"--------Bruce Dickinson

112011 posts in 2204 days

Good review

View Geedubs's profile

Geedubs

I purchased a 36-714 used a few months ago and have been VERY pleased. I discovered quickly the value of thin kerf blades. Using them ‘seemed’ to pick up the hp. So far, it has handled everything I have thrown at it with aplumb. I just bought a new Grizzly tenoning jig and look forward to using it on this saw!

-- Todos los dias aprendemos algo nuevo.

View Joe Lyddon's profile

Joe Lyddon

How much do you think this saw would be worth today, June 2010?

In very good shape…

A fair price?

Thank you very much.

View Joe Lyddon's profile

Joe Lyddon

A friend has one of these saws For Sale… but has not set a price on it…

If it’s reasonable, I’d like to buy it…

... BUT, we can’t get any idea of what it’s worth.

Any help would sure be appreciated.