Generic German-Made Rip and Cross Cut Saws

Review by cicerojoe posted 12-07-2016 01:15 PM 2132 views 1 time favorited 8 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Generic German-Made Rip and Cross Cut Saws No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

These hand saws are from Traditional Woodworker, a store based in Texas. You can buy either separately but you get a discount if you buy them as a set. They are labelled “Made in Germany” but otherwise have no markings. The handles look to be Beech and have simple steel hardware.

If I had to choose my favourite between the two, it would be the rip saw had no problems with red oak and easily chews through douglas fir. When using this saw, gravity seems to provide much of the force needed. You can truly let the saw do the work. The cross cut saw took more time for me to adjust two, but I was able to get good results in short order.

These are impulse hardened saws, and will last a long time but they can’t be resharpened. But for the price, the value of these “house band” saws can’t be beat.

View patron's profile

patron

#1 posted 12-07-2016 02:33 PM

not a bad deal for the price
rip saws are hard to find these days

#2 posted 12-07-2016 04:37 PM

I am making a saw till out of dimensional lumber (with no power tools) using these and will post some video on youtube if I can figure it out. I ripped a doug fir 2×6 24” in maybe 20 minutes (for the sides of the till). I can cross cut a 2×4 in about 1 minute or less with the cross cut saw.

View bobasaurus's profile

bobasaurus

#3 posted 12-07-2016 08:01 PM

They look like really nice saws. I imagine that the teeth could be sharpened with a diamond file, but not a traditional file.

-- Allen, Colorado (Instagram @bobasaurus_woodworking)

#4 posted 12-07-2016 08:59 PM

That’s a good point Allen. Never thought of a diamond file.

View Richard's profile

Richard

1912 posts in 2294 days

#5 posted 12-08-2016 07:29 PM

They are basically Disposable Saws if you can’t resharpen them.

#6 posted 12-08-2016 08:46 PM

Yes Richard that is true, but I think the impulse hardening process is supposed to make them resist dulling more than others methods. And I think that is accounted for in the price. I am sure these will last years, depending on usage, before they dull. OTOH, you are talking about a tool that is very low priced relative to other saws.

View Richard's profile

Richard

1912 posts in 2294 days

#7 posted 12-09-2016 06:02 PM

I guess that is true since unless you are a Total Hand Tool woodworker how often are you going to use these.

#8 posted 12-13-2016 06:46 PM