|Review by 45acpbuilder||posted 08-09-2009 02:37 PM||7842 views||1 time favorited||19 comments|
It’s so darn quiet I’m afraid I’ll walk off and leave it running! I added a little flag to the tensioner so I won’t turn it on with the blade loose. Seems someone, Grizzly themselves maybe, could add this to their saws with out any problem. It’s just a bead chain tied to the tension lever and a 1/4” bolt tapped into the arm behind the switch so the tension lever lifts the flag so it blocks the start switch. The saw blade squealed when resawing so I ran a coarse whetstone against the back edges of the blade so “soften” them and now it’s dead quiet. The support bearing adjustments are a little loose and I’m working on a mod to tighten the sliding shafts in their holes. I’ll post the results when the arm-chair engineering is done. For now, I adjust the clamp screws to hold the support bearing shafts ever-so-slightly so they don’t wobble around while I’m trying to adjust them. Overall, I really like the saw. It’s dead square, there’s no blade tracking whatsoever and it’s got plenty of power as long as you don’t abuse it’s cutting capacity. I resaw hard maple, purpleheart and jojoba and it’s happy as a clam cutting 4” thick material. Like most other bandsaws, dust collection is pretty rudimentary. I’ve gone through the saw and added foam board pieces in all the gaps around the lower body to force the extraction air to enter from under the table. I also added a little “box” around the lower bearing assemblies to catch under-table sawdust. I used 2” tape to span the cavities molded into the base above the legs so the body and the lower cover match more closely. With about 45 minutes of tweaking, I’ve increased dust collection effectiveness by 3 or 4 times! I also added a blade brush. I’ll be adding 2 more burshes for the wheels when I get a chance to buy some cheap toothbrushes. DO NOT use brass or SS brushes on your wheels!