I've got a problem with this saw

Review by 45acpbuilder posted 1809 days ago 7242 views 1 time favorited 19 comments Add to Favorites Watch
I've got a problem with this saw I've got a problem with this saw I've got a problem with this saw Click the pictures to enlarge them

It’s so darn quiet I’m afraid I’ll walk off and leave it running! I added a little flag to the tensioner so I won’t turn it on with the blade loose. Seems someone, Grizzly themselves maybe, could add this to their saws with out any problem. It’s just a bead chain tied to the tension lever and a 1/4” bolt tapped into the arm behind the switch so the tension lever lifts the flag so it blocks the start switch. The saw blade squealed when resawing so I ran a coarse whetstone against the back edges of the blade so “soften” them and now it’s dead quiet. The support bearing adjustments are a little loose and I’m working on a mod to tighten the sliding shafts in their holes. I’ll post the results when the arm-chair engineering is done. For now, I adjust the clamp screws to hold the support bearing shafts ever-so-slightly so they don’t wobble around while I’m trying to adjust them. Overall, I really like the saw. It’s dead square, there’s no blade tracking whatsoever and it’s got plenty of power as long as you don’t abuse it’s cutting capacity. I resaw hard maple, purpleheart and jojoba and it’s happy as a clam cutting 4” thick material. Like most other bandsaws, dust collection is pretty rudimentary. I’ve gone through the saw and added foam board pieces in all the gaps around the lower body to force the extraction air to enter from under the table. I also added a little “box” around the lower bearing assemblies to catch under-table sawdust. I used 2” tape to span the cavities molded into the base above the legs so the body and the lower cover match more closely. With about 45 minutes of tweaking, I’ve increased dust collection effectiveness by 3 or 4 times! I also added a blade brush. I’ll be adding 2 more burshes for the wheels when I get a chance to buy some cheap toothbrushes. DO NOT use brass or SS brushes on your wheels!

45acpbuilder

View a1Jim's profile (online now)

111999 posts in 2174 days

great reviews

View John Gray's profile

John Gray

Thanks for the review and switch idea.

-- Only the Shadow knows....................

View cabinetmaster's profile

cabinetmaster

I need to look into getting me a new bandsaw soon. I’ll keep this one in mind too.

-- Jerry--A man can never have enough tools or clamps

View USCJeff's profile

USCJeff

Like the engineering. Creative fix. I went about it another less cool way, but it works. Found the idea pictured below somewhere. Not sure who to credit. It’s just a typical Id holder with a clip stock to a magnet. Keep it hanging over the on button and just flip ot over as appropriate. The color stands out in typical stop or go colors.

PhotobucketPhotobucket

-- Jeff, South Carolina

View USCJeff's profile

USCJeff

I’ve been told the “ultimate” is a world of difference from the standard. I’ve used the standard model a couple times in another shop. Does great for light duty, but couldn’t handle resaw tasks. Based on what you posted, the extra power in the ultimate makes it a more all around performer. Could be a blade thing though, I believe we were using the stock blade on it. Not positive.

-- Jeff, South Carolina

View dustbunny's profile

dustbunny

Thanks so much for the review. I’m getting mine next month….I can’t wait. I will keep these issues in mind if I have the same. THANKS

Did you see this review? http://lumberjocks.com/reviews/859#first-new
some great modifications also

Lisa

-- Imagination rules the world. ~ Napoleon Bonaparte ~ http://quiltedwood.com

45acpbuilder

I trashed the “factory” blade almost immediately. I have a Timberwolf 4 TPI x 1/2” blade on it. That’s the one that squealed in the cuts. I touched off the sharp edges on the back of the blade with a coarse whetstone and it’s mouse-quiet! I could probably stall the saw in a 4” resaw in maple but I’d have to go way beyond a comfortable feed pressure/rate. The resaws come out perfectly parallel and one light pass through my POS Ridgid 13” planer takes all the blade marks. I’m working on enhancing the dust collection and will post my methods and results pretty soon.

View Douglas Bordner's profile

Douglas Bordner

I just used a Sharpie to remind myself to tension up.

-- "Bordnerizing" perfectly good lumber for over a decade.

View Don Newton's profile

Don Newton

4 1/2 stars even with all of the modifications you did! It must be a real good saw once you get it running. Please keep us posted on the dust collection modifications.

-- Don, Pittsburgh

View roadrunner0925's profile

roadrunner0925

may i ask the price of this saw?

-- wm, brandon,ms

View Chris Wright's profile

Chris Wright

525 posts in 2078 days

Great review, I like the idea for the switch cover too. I think it’s the first time I’ve heard someone complain that a power tool is to quiet.

-- "At its best, life is completely unpredictable." - Christopher Walken

View Mauritius's profile

Mauritius

I actually ordered and received this saw last week. I haven’t had much of a chance to use it because my saw blade order isn’t in yet. Like you said, the blade it comes with is pretty bad. I did resaw a 4” red oak board just to see what would happen, worked ok, not perfect, I definitely think it’s a case of the blade being completely wrong for the application. I have the squealing problem too, glad to know a little touchup on the back of the blade will fix it. I’m pretty sure my neighbors thought I was strangling a cat in my garage last night. My blades should be in tomorrow (I also ordered the TW 1/2” 4TPI) and I have a few projects lined up so I should get a better feel for things soon.

As for the extreme version vs this saw…I think for most applications, the saw blade is most important. I don’t have any experience with the X version, I’m just regurgitating what I’ve read in various reviews and forums which lead me to the decision to purchase this saw.

Thanks for the review!

45acpbuilder

I’m still working on enhancing the dust collection. Don’t get me wrong, this saw isn’t any worse, or better, than any of the other bandsaws. In fact, in my research (window shopping at the local industrial supply store – Ricon, Jet, Powermatic and Delta0 it’s at least as good as all the others. My emphasis is on sealing up all the “vents” around the lower cover, the under-table support mechanism, etc. So far, I’ve gotten an order of magnitude in dust collection improvement just by sealing up all the mis-mathces between the lower body and cover with foam board and building a little catch/feed-box around the lower bearing mechanism. It took about an hour to install all the foam board pieces and I’m very very happy with the results. The saw has about 100 feet of resawing under its belt and it’s settling down very nicely. Still very square and straight!

View Jeremy's profile

Jeremy

74 posts in 1927 days

Cool ideas! I do have a question though for anyone willing to answer. Is it common practice to take the tension off the the blade when it is not in use or is that just somthing that this particular saw requires the user to do? Excuse my ignorance and thanks in advance for your answers!

-- Jeremy, Rochester, NY

45acpbuilder

I’ve always been advised to release the blade tension on bandsaws. WWWAAAYYY back when I was working with my Dad on the farm!