Just got my G0715P delivered

Review by BobinSachse posted 12-05-2016 06:52 PM 3008 views 0 times favorited 26 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Just got my G0715P delivered Just got my G0715P delivered No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I just got my Grizzly G0715P delivered on Friday. Lift gate service dropped it right at my shop door. pulled the saw and smaller pallet off of the delivery pallet and into the shop with my fridge dolly. Not too much trouble.
Got to it on Sunday to begin set up. took about an hour to get it onto the Shop Fox mobile base. No helper available….
Everything was going just fine until I tried to install the rear rail to the table for the fence. It has 4 bolts to do this talk, two M10-1.5×25 cap screws that fasten it to the main table and two M8—1.25×35 to fasten it to the table extensions. The big problem here is that they failed to drill the hole in the left wing to accept the cap screw. I was a bit ticked off to say the least!! I REALLY hope this is not a bad omen…
I called Grizzly Tech support this morning and it looks like it will take about 10 days to 2 weeks to get a new extension wing to me… At least they are taking care of it for me. The tech did say that one option was for me to drill it out myself. My thoughts are that I paid good $$$ for this saw and I should NOT have to finish their job. And if I did try and make a mistake in alignment, then would they still cover it? Not worth the chance IMHO!!!

I received an RMA and shortly after a UPS shipping label too. He told me it could take as much as 48 hours to get that. UPS will have it tomorrow.

Tech Support/Customer Service +++++
Factory Quality Control—————-

Updates to follow.

#1 posted 12-06-2016 01:47 AM

Wow – hope goes well

-- Norman - I never never make a mistake, I just change the design.

View runswithscissors's profile

runswithscissors

#2 posted 12-06-2016 02:25 AM

I agree, you shouldn’t have to put up with that. But my choice would have been to drill and tap the wing. Cast iron isn’t hard to drill nor hard to tap. It’s a matter of which is the least hassle, for me.

View Redoak49's profile

Redoak49

#3 posted 12-06-2016 12:13 PM

What a disappointment….

Rather than wait, I would have bought a tap and drill bit and asked Grizzly to pay for it. If you have never tapped a thread, I would wait for the part.

#4 posted 12-06-2016 07:07 PM

The actual hole is not a tapped hole, but it is an oval hole. Getting it just right would not be really tough, but IF for some reason, something went wrong and it didn’t line up properly, would they cover that? I’m not willing to take that gamble…
I did get a shipping label just after I posted the review andI just dropped the extension wing off at the UPS Store. Now on hold with Tech Support again to inform them I shipped the defective part so they will ship me a new on ASAP. Or so they said. Stay tuned.

#5 posted 12-06-2016 07:17 PM

Just finished with tech Support. The extension wing will be inspected and shipped tomorrow. If UPS does it right, I might have it by Friday.

View Grumpymike's profile

Grumpymike

2119 posts in 2067 days

#6 posted 12-08-2016 04:06 PM

Hmmmm … Makes me wonder. Grizzly, being a supplier of fine machinery, Why didn’t they just drill the hole for you if it’s that easy? Rather than wait for a replacement part. Just say’n ya know.

My G 0715 went together with out a hitch (other than I miss read the directions); but as you said the tech support is outstanding.
there was a spot on my saw that the box had rubbed the paint and I asked if there was nay way I could get some touchup paint … Two or three days later UPS delivered a 1/2 pint of touchup to my door.

I hope that you enjoy your G 0715 as much as I have enjoyed mine and I hope that you get as much use out of yours.

-- Grumpy old guy, and lookin' good Doin' it. ... Surprise Az.

#7 posted 12-08-2016 11:25 PM

Why don’t you drill and tap the hole yourself?

View GR8HUNTER's profile

GR8HUNTER

#8 posted 12-08-2016 11:56 PM

Why don t you drill and tap the hole yourself?

- b2rtch

IMO …i feel he should NOT have to do this himself ….....good luck to you sir

-- Tony Reinholds,Pa. REMEMBER TO ALWAYS HAVE FUN

#9 posted 12-09-2016 01:55 AM

Why don t you drill and tap the hole yourself?

- b2rtch

As I stated in the beginning, “My thoughts are that I paid good $$$ for this saw and I should NOT have to finish their job. And if I did try and make a mistake in alignment, then would they still cover it? Not worth the chance IMHO!!!”
I will get the new wing tomorrow assuming UPS gets it right…

#10 posted 12-12-2016 01:00 PM

Well,
I did receive the Wing extension on Friday. ALL of the holes were where they were supposed to be on this one. Yesterday, I finished up the assembly. All looks really good!! Everything lined up very well.. Now to begin the cleaning and lubricating everything. Then run a 220v circuit. I have 2 weeks off at Christmas, so I will get it going then.

View dannmarks's profile

dannmarks

#11 posted 12-29-2016 09:35 PM

I bought this Grizzly G0478 saw back around 1985. Looks just like yours except it is a 12 inch blade. I had to replace the arbor bearing within a few years. Grizzly gave me the part number to get it at motion industries and it was fixed that day for under $5.

I use this saw a whole lot and I used it for all it was worth. We would use it at full depth resawing Beech lumber from 100 year old barn beams to make spiral stair cases. I did everything on it that could be done. I even used it to make custom cove hard wood trim. I just wanted you to know how long these babies last. I have had almost zero problems. Like I said a bearing went out. That is it in 30 plus years…

#12 posted 12-30-2016 03:34 PM

Dan,
Thanks for the encouraging words. I do like grizzly tools. I had a 14” band saw in my last shop. Loved it! I know the extension wing issue was a minor bump in the road. As soon as i get teh 220v circuit run, i will be good to go.

View dannmarks's profile

dannmarks

#13 posted 12-31-2016 02:32 AM

We just recently moved into our home and my wood shop is the attached 2 car garage and cement driveway. I hated running the new 220v circuit because it had to be fished thru the walls. Forcing Number 8 wire thru the wall and around the corner was really hard. I have run plenty of wiring in my life but it was always in the Basement or in a building with ceilings that one could climb up in and run it along the rafters or buried underground to the barn.

Anyway, I just put in a substation in the garage a few months ago and ran two separate 220 lines with enough plugs that I could plug in my Table saw, Jointer and Planer. I also made a couple of fairly long extension cords so I can roll everything out on the drive way and make the big messes out side. Once it is done you will be so glad. I know I am.

#14 posted 12-31-2016 02:44 AM

My shop is a metal building with no insulation yet and it is only about a 50 foot run. I’m using 12 gauge romex. It will be an easy run. I’m also going fo follow your lead and make extension cords as well.

#15 posted 03-16-2017 06:53 PM

So, at long last, (wrist injury and other family projects), I was able to work on the 715p to see how well it aligns. It was out of alignment with the miter slot about .02” with the blade 1-1/2” up. I spent about 30 minutes fixing that to get to just under .001” Then I raised the blade as far as it would go and it was out +.03!! >:-(

I called Grizzly and was told to see what is did IF I backed off of the height stop just a bit. I’ll have to check and see tomorrow. Other threads here have mentioned that if you keep the blade at 3-1/8” it doesn’t get as bad. The spec height in the catalog is 3-1/8”.

Since I’m not at the shop and won’t be there until tomorrow afternoon, what is the MAX the blade goes u p anyway? And if it will go past 3-1/8”, then Why is that??