Bright LED Shop Light

Review by Redoak49 posted 12-05-2016 03:13 PM 2878 views 1 time favorited 6 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Bright LED Shop Light No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I have been replacing my 4 foot shop lights with LED lights. I bought this one at Sam’s Club for $34.88 and it is really bright.

4500 Lumens
5000K Bright White Light
42 Watts and about half the power of my previous fluorescent light.

It came with chains to hang it, on/off switch and a cord.

Overall, this is a nice shop light at a good price.

View Redoak49's profile

Redoak49

View ralbuck's profile

ralbuck

#1 posted 12-05-2016 05:17 PM

I know what you mean—great lights.

We have one—son bought at Costco; sorry, I do not know the price.

It is terrific, instant on even in cold shop and gives a very nice even light wothout any buzz like some other lights make.

-- Wood rescue is good for the environment and me! just rjR

View DMC1903's profile

DMC1903

#2 posted 12-05-2016 05:38 PM

I purchased several of the LED lights to replace the older fluorescent lights in the shop, our house is completely converted to LED lighting.

View dpotter's profile

dpotter

#3 posted 12-05-2016 10:08 PM

I agree, these are great lights, especially for the relatively low price.

-- Dave - York, Maine

View Tennessee's profile

Tennessee

#4 posted 12-14-2016 02:11 PM

I finally bought one of these exact same lights in a Walmart that had them on “rollback” to $34.88. I did it when my last remaining T12 fixture still in the box bouncing around in my wood room for the last couple years didn’t work out of the box when one of my in service units finally failed.

I have to say, having this LED unit next to the fluorescents I have been using for the last nine years definitely opened my eyes!
I am not looking to replace all the lights, I think the lumen density would just be too much. I think also that this light is a bit into the blue spectrum and not a true daylight. Since I do so much with colored woods and tinting, that is a bit of a problem. I currently have over my workbench a T12 flourescent with two daylight bulbs in it. The new LED is hanging behind me, and it still changed the color of the bench when I turn it on, and of course any wood on it.

That being said, it seems pretty solidly built. My problem is I cut the plugs off and hardwire them into an overhead circuit with junction boxes so I can turn on all lights as soon as I come in the door with a light switch. I want to let this one hang for a while before I start dropping $35-40 a pop for lights and hardwire them in, knowing I am killing the warranty as soon as I cut off that plug. Also my ceiling is low, so I have to think this out since the lumen density is much higher with these LED units than the old lights. Just will not need as many.

As far as that non-working T12, since I cut off the plug to hardwire it in, when it didn’t work (one-half of the unit refused to work), I fought it for a while, checking all wires and connectors, then just took it down and dropped it into the trash, since I had killed the warranty.

-- Tsunami Guitars and Custom Woodworking, Cleveland, TN

View Jarrhead's profile

Jarrhead

#5 posted 12-22-2016 09:15 PM

About six months ago my woodworking buddy showed me his new LED light fixture in his shop. I was immensely impressed with the light quantity and quality. I went home and started researching. I found lots of options for LED replacements that fit directly into the fixtures I already own. So, I only have to replace bulbs, not fixtures. At this time, the cost of the LED tubes is about twice the cost of the fluorescent tubes. However, the LEDs use only about 40% of the energy, so the long term savings is significant. I have, over the course of several years, equipped my shop with approximately 17 fluorescent fixtures, that hold two 48” bulbs each (34 bulbs total). The fluorescent bulbs tend to last a couple years at most. I decided that, instead of replacing them with the status quo, I would upgrade each fixture with LED tubes when the old fluorescents failed. So far I have replaced eight of the bulbs, and the light is great. Another reason that makes this a “smart move” is the longevity of the tubes. Most LEDs are rated between 36K and 50K hours. I probably won’t have to ever replace the ones I just installed. Even if I ran them 24/7 they would last for 5 years. I buy the “single ended” versions. They do require me to perform some very minor rewiring in the fixture, but it is super SIMPLE, and it eliminates the old ballast, saving even more energy.

-- trn2wud

View segchris's profile

segchris

#6 posted 01-20-2017 08:49 PM

I replaced all the lights in my shop (basement) with 4FT LED shop lights from Costco. Costco near me often sells a Feit LED light for $15. For the price they are fantastic and bright.