JessEm Wood Sabre Marking Gauge Makes the Cut

Review by Rich posted 12-02-2016 09:15 PM 3869 views 0 times favorited 3 comments Add to Favorites Watch
JessEm Wood Sabre Marking Gauge Makes the Cut JessEm Wood Sabre Marking Gauge Makes the Cut JessEm Wood Sabre Marking Gauge Makes the Cut Click the pictures to enlarge them

I had been looking for a good marking gauge. There are several out there that are great products, but when I saw the JessEm Wood Sabre gauge, I had to have one. I have the JessEm router lift and the 08350 doweling jig, so I expected that their marking gauge would live up to my expectations.

I was not disappointed. The fit and finish is on par with their other fine products. It’s solidly built, and weighs in at 17 ounces. The face is approximately 3 inches wide and 1-1/2 inches tall. It has an overall extension of 6 inches.

The adjustment is made by sliding the rod out, with positive stops every 1/2 inch. In between stops, the dial moves the blade 1/16 inch per turn, with clear markings every 1/256 inch. Of course, you can also adjust it based on an existing cut, like the shoulder of a tenon to mark for the mortise.

At $99.95, it’s not cheap, but it ships for free, and you won’t pay tax. I’ve been very satisfied with the purchase.

You can read more and watch their video on their website.

— Rich

-- Half of what we read or hear about finishing is right. We just don’t know which half! — Bob Flexner

View Rich's profile (online now)

Rich

View Putttn's profile

Putttn

#1 posted 02-23-2017 01:45 PM

Glad to hear you like yours. I have looked at it but not sure I can justify the price. My little cheap marker has done a pretty decent job. I have their router lift and their 8350 doweling jig and they are built to last with great precision.

-- Bill eastern Washington Home of beloved ZAGS

View Rich's profile (online now)

Rich

#2 posted 02-23-2017 06:55 PM

Sure, if you have a gauge that works for you, it makes no sense to spend money on another one. I was in need of a new gauge and figured it wasn’t that much money given that it’s going to last me a lifetime.

View gotnonickname's profile

gotnonickname

#3 posted 04-29-2017 02:08 PM

I have one of these as well and really like it. I have a antique gauge left to me from gramps that see`s no action, just memories and a cheap one I bought prior that got little use. This on is used all the time. This really stands out when laying out mortise and tendons that you really want to line up after cutting. The only thing I wish it had was a mm scale or decimal. That would ne nice for us that are ridiculously extreme when measuring. I have used this now over a year and never is it far from my hand. Good tool. Well worth the price.