No more un-square squares. This one is made from solid phenolic

Review by GaryK posted 1847 days ago 3317 views 1 time favorited 17 comments Add to Favorites Watch
No more un-square squares. This one is made from solid phenolic No more un-square squares. This one is made from solid phenolic No more un-square squares. This one is made from solid phenolic Click the pictures to enlarge them

I was notified via e-mail about this square and ordered one right away.

It’s a bit pricey at $70, but I will only ever need one.

The first thing I did when I got it was to check it for square. It was perfect. Not much more to say in that regard.
The only drawback I can see that the material isn’t steel which means that it can be damaged it you aren’t careful.
The holes for your hands makes it real easy to move around and position.
It’s also nice and thick so it’s real easy to hold a straightedge to it to extend a line.

All in all it’s a great addition to my shop.

Taken from their website: http://www.woodpeck.com/giantsquare.html

“Each square is CNC machined from ¼” thick solid phenolic. CNC machining ensures true dimensional and shape accuracy while laminated phenolic is stable and strong.

As a matter of fact, using a thousandth indicator we were unable to find any deviation from a true 90. To play it safe, we’re guaranteeing a tolerance of +/- .005” from nominal across the entire length of the square. This is a big step up from stamped squares commonly found in home centers.

At 36” x 24”, the Woodpeckers Giant Square is sized to eliminate the need to mark most cabinet parts from opposite edges. Making two passes from different edges often leads to dimensional errors. The long leg is 3” wide by 36” long. The short leg is 4” by 24”. The three handle slots make it easy to hold and position with less risk of dropping the tool and also easy wall storage.

Each face of the square is laser engraved with inch scale markings in 1/8” increments.”

View GaryK's profile

GaryK

Gary: It looks like a great square.

Did you try and check it with you existing squares, and how did they check out.

View GaryK's profile

GaryK

Karson – No I didn’t check it with my existing square.

As you can see in the pictures I used a factory edge on a piece of melamine and drew a line on each side of the square with the short end against the edge. Then flipped it over and compared it to the lines I drew. I couldn’t discern any variation. Can’t get any better than that.

View lew's profile

lew

Thanks, Gary!

I can see this would be great tool for layout and drawing.

-- Lew- Time traveler. Purveyor of the Universe's finest custom rolling pins.

View Don Newton's profile

Don Newton

Wow Gary! That sounds like the ultimate square.

-- Don, Pittsburgh

View cabinetmaster's profile

cabinetmaster

I’d thought about ordering one but the price kept me from it. May still have to keep it on my wishlist.

-- Jerry--A man can never have enough tools or clamps

View Dan'um Style's profile

Dan'um Style

good looking tool and nice review … bet the 36 inches will come in handy

-- keeping myself entertained ... Humor and fun lubricate the brain

View brunob's profile

brunob

Thanks for the review Gary. Think I’ll put it on my wish list.

-- Bruce from Central New York...now, if you'll pardon me, I have some sawdust to make.

View patron's profile

patron

13018 posts in 1974 days

thanks gary ,

there goes the money ,
for my new router !

Thanks for the review, Gary. I have got to have one of these as well.

View Dick, & Barb Cain's profile

Dick, & Barb Cain

It looks like a great tool, & the number look like they’re easy to read.

I bought one of them larger sized triangular square last year, but I accidentally stepped on it, & broke it.
Being that this one is laminated, that problem shouldn’t exist.

View mrsawdust's profile

mrsawdust

Hi Gary, that could be checked against my head!

mike

-- mrsawdust, pittsburgh,pa.

View Kent Shepherd's profile

Kent Shepherd

2697 posts in 1919 days

What a concept—-A Square Square
I’ll have to check it out
Thanks for the review

-- She thought I hung the moon--now she just thinks I did it wrong

View blackcherry's profile

blackcherry

Nice review Gary and please note woodpeck has a e-club membership that will offer a extra 10 percent off items each week. Thanks for posting Gary…Blkcherry

View Tim_456's profile

Tim_456

Great review. Did you check your other squares against it and find them lacking? thanks! ;)
t.

View GMoney's profile

GMoney

Gary, thanks for the review. I made an order from Woodpeckers three days ago and aside from the first acknowledgement haven’t heard a word from them about shipping the order. Just called and didn’t even get an answering machine. Is this normal for ordering there in your experience? Thanks for any input.

-- Greg, CT