My new branding iron

Review by BurlyBob posted 12-01-2016 01:40 AM 2500 views 0 times favorited 11 comments Add to Favorites Watch
My new branding iron No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I’d kicked this around for a while and after the wife gave me the green light I ordered a branding iron from Terry Desilets, Custom Branding irons. I’ve played with it a little and tonight gave it a work out. I really like the looks of my brand. After reading his instructions about the branding surface I’ll be doing a better job in the future. First off, flat smooth and clean, that means no varnish. One of the issues I ran into tonight. I branded a bunch of projects that had already been varnished. It did the job, although the difference between branding plain lumber and varnished is really obvious. Brand first then varnish.
The branding iron. Now that is one beefy piece of equipment. Nothing like a simple wood burning kit. I’m sure this thing is going to last a long time.
This brand is really going to be a great addition to my projects. Also Terry is a great guy to visit with and went out of his way to help me design a brand to my liking. I couldn’t be happier with it.

View BurlyBob's profile

BurlyBob

View Jerry's profile

Jerry

#1 posted 12-01-2016 01:42 AM

NIICE!!! I’m jealous…

-- There are good ships and there are wood ships, the ships that sail the sea, but the best ships are friendships and may they always be. http://www.geraldlhunsucker.com/

View dawsonbob's profile

dawsonbob

#2 posted 12-01-2016 01:55 AM

That’s a nice looking brand, BBob. Looks official. Very cool,indeed!

-- Mistakes are what pave the road to perfection

View lew's profile

lew

12056 posts in 3751 days

#3 posted 12-01-2016 02:13 AM

Very professional logo, Bob!

Thanks for the review and usage tips.

-- Lew- Time traveler. Purveyor of the Universe's finest custom rolling pins.

View Terry Desilets's profile

Terry Desilets

#4 posted 12-01-2016 03:06 AM

Many thanks! It was a great project to work on. It looks like you picked up in it quickly, let me know if we can help you in the future.

Terry Desilets
Custom Branding Irons, Inc.

-- IN REMEMBRANCE OF MY NEPHEW: Cpl. Ben Desilets - USMC KIA 22 May 2007 Anbar Iraq

View BurlyBob's profile

BurlyBob

#5 posted 12-01-2016 03:10 AM

One thing I did notice that a decent 7 count was about all it took to get a nice brand after it was heated fully. Anything much more would burn and char excessively. I live in a fairly dry area and wonder if there would any difference in a more humid area like the deep south. Also I didn’t notice a great difference between wood species. I’m going to talk my neighbor into helping me build a stand for it. The cord seems to have a tendency to drag it to close to the edge of the work table. I’m thinking a piece of rolled steel bar bent to cradle it, drilled into a board that is clamped to the work table would do the job.

View Joe Lyddon's profile

Joe Lyddon

#6 posted 12-01-2016 03:16 AM

COOL…

No one is going to rustle that brand!

Very nice…

View Bobsboxes's profile

Bobsboxes

#7 posted 12-01-2016 03:21 AM

Great looking brand, adds to your already great work.

-- Bob in Montana. Kindness is the Language the blind can see and deaf can hear. - Mark Twain

View MadMark's profile

MadMark

#8 posted 12-01-2016 03:52 AM

I considered buying a branding iron, but for the same $$$ I bought a laser engraver. Does the same thing, and more.

M

-- Madmark - Madmark2150@yahoo.com Wiretreefarm.com

View Roger's profile

20928 posts in 2800 days

#9 posted 12-01-2016 12:40 PM

Very nice Bob. Do you have a link from where you ordered it? Thnx in advance.

View doubleDD's profile

doubleDD

7382 posts in 2039 days

#10 posted 12-01-2016 02:36 PM

Looks great Bob. Something I have been thinking for over a year now. I’m always afraid I get one and it won’t work very well. Will have to look into this.

-- Dave, Downers Grove, Il. -------- When you run out of ideas, start building your dreams.

View sulphurcreekcustoms's profile