A great Reference and a good read and must have whilst using Sketchup!

Review by Mark Shymanski posted 08-07-2009 11:00 PM 2160 views 0 times favorited 4 comments Add to Favorites Watch
A great Reference and a good read and must have whilst using Sketchup! No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Title: Illustrated Cabinetmaking How to Design and Construct Furniture That Works
Author: Bill Hylton
Publisher: Fox Chapel Publishing
ISBN: 978-1-56523-369-0
Vendor: Lee Valley

Review:

This book is divided into 4 sections: Fundamentals, Joints, Subassemblies and Furniture. Each section clearly explains and illustrates the section topic well with easily understood terms or readily supplied definitions for new terms. The ilustrations and text really do an excellent job of communicating how a particular joint or aspect of furniture work. I’m not sure if I spent more time reading the words or studying the pictures, both are really useful.

A great book, especially for the novice (such as myself :-) trying to design some cabinets. I enjoyed reading it but I found it particularily useful when I had sketchup open and needed to understand how a partcular aspect worked so that I could first draw it and then build it. I won’t reveal the depth of my ignorance by telling you how many times I needed to refer to this book, just rest assured it is a well worn copy now LOL! It isn’t a tool that generates sawdust but I think it is one of my, now, well worn tools. I highly recommend it.

-- "Checking for square? What madness is this! The cabinet is square because I will it to be so!" Jeremy Greiner LJ Topic#20953 2011 Feb 2

View Mark Shymanski's profile

Mark Shymanski

View VinnieP's profile

VinnieP

141 posts in 2076 days

#1 posted 08-07-2009 11:34 PM

I’ve read this book as well. It is very useful if you are a visual learner.

View 747DRVR's profile

747DRVR

#2 posted 08-08-2009 04:35 AM

This book is great for help in designing a project.It is always the first reference I reach for before beginning a new project.

View Jimi_C's profile

Jimi_C

507 posts in 1990 days

#3 posted 08-20-2009 02:59 PM

I have this book as well, and the comment on the cover about being the Grey’s Anatomy for woodworking is very accurate. It has exploded views of just about every joint imaginable, and gives you options for how you want to assemble things. I’d recommend this book to anyone.

View RKW's profile

RKW

#4 posted 08-23-2009 06:20 PM

good to know, i ordered it off amazon a couple of days ago and i am still waiting. Any other recommendations?

-- RKWoods