Low price but lacking in important features

Review by jake posted 08-07-2009 02:05 AM 2500 views 0 times favorited 4 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Low price but lacking in important features No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I purchased this saw due to the DeWalt name, reasonable price and past experience with DeWalt power tools. While this tool is powerful enough and seems well built, it lacks features that make it’s performance only average at best. The most frustrating aspect is that it lacks a blower and the wood debris from the cut obscures the sight line/markings that you try to follow. It is surprising as my last jig saw was sold by Walmart under their own private label at the time called Quantum Professional Grade, made by Black and Decker. When it finally died after countless hours of use, I took it into a Black and Decker/DeWalt service center and the tech said he never see’s them come in for repairs and were as heavy duty as a DeWalt. Due to its age, the Quantum had two screws to tighten with each change. Home Depot had the DeWalts on sale so I decided to pick up the new tool and not invest in a repair bill. The Quantum had a blower and two small plastic inserts that went into the baseplate that made a zero clearance cut. It’s hard to believe they made such a nice tool for Walmart but put out a very mediocre saw with their own name on it. In fairness to the DeWalt, it is powerful, has a long cord, and it has an easy to use blade changing system, in which you simply press a small lever and insert the blade (both T and regular blades). It’s time to bring back the Quantum and slap the DeWalt name on it.

View jake's profile

jake

#1 posted 08-07-2009 06:29 AM

Good review

View Julian's profile

Julian

#2 posted 08-07-2009 03:08 PM

Sounds to me like it’s time to buy a bosch.

-- Julian, Park Forest, IL

View DocStock's profile

DocStock

13 posts in 1994 days

#3 posted 08-17-2009 07:27 PM

I have one of these Dewalt’s along with several other brands including the Bosch. I have a store fixture installation business and all my guys prefer the Bosch… I agree with Julian
Stock

-- Glen

View rhybeka's profile

rhybeka

#4 posted 07-11-2010 02:45 PM

thanks for the review! I’ve been thinking hard about which jigsaw would be my next purchase and was sitting on the fence about dewalts, bosch or possibly a makita… and I was going for a corded – tired of investing in batteries :)

-- Beka/Becky - aspiring jill of all trades