Not bad, Not Great

Review by roundabout22 posted 2404 days ago 3007 views 0 times favorited 21 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Not bad, Not Great Not bad, Not Great No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

For a few years I made do with a ryobi plunge router. In fact it’s still going strong, but the time came for an upgrade. I knew I wanted a kit, that way I could put the fixed base under the router table and just switch the motor over. The plan was to make some rail and stile doors so I figured on at least a 2hp router. In doing the research it seemed like this router and the dewalt were fairly close. I wasn’t planing on doing much template routing and actually liked the feel of the handles on the bosch.

I was having trouble deciding until I found a deal on the bosch. I got it for less than $200 brand new with free shipping. It even included the dust collection parts, a centering pin, a wrench for adjusting the cutting depth in a router table, and a edge guide kit.

Overall I am pleased with the power that the router has, and almost every thing else is great.

The problem? Well, switching out the motor sucks. If you look close in the second picture (I know its not very good) you can see all kinds of scratches. Not just around the bottom of the motor, but also all the way up the sides. The motor doesn’t seem to fit right in the fixed base, so every time I switch I wonder if it will go smooth or not. Sometimes I have to stand on the edges of the base to get enough strength to pull the motor out.

I’m hoping that I just got a bad router base, and not everyone has the same problems as I have. I would have it repaired/replaced, but it long again went past its warranty date, and I don’t want to have to pay.

You’ll be pleased with either the fixed base or the plunge, but next time I think I’ll go with the dewalt. Oh, by the way, the ryobi is in the router table for now.

View che's profile

che

Sorry to hear you got a reject. Looks like there may be a burr or nick in the base which could be cleaned up with some sand paper or a file.
If you do get another set look into the Milwaukee as well as the DeWalt.

Che

-- Che.

View Ryan Shervill's profile

Ryan Shervill

I’m going to be in the Canadian Home Workshop Show in Toronto at the end of Feb conducting the Masters Workshop, and my shop at the show is sponsored (and furnished) by Bosch. One of the key tools I’ll be using will be one of their routers, so I’ll request that same setup and see if it is all of them, or you just got a wonky one.

Ryan

-- Want to see me completely transform a house? Look here: http://forum.canadianwoodworking.com/showthread.php?41055

View rikkor's profile

rikkor

It’s never good to get a name-brand with issues. One of the reasons to buy premium tools is to avoid that. I hope you find a solution.

roundabout22

Che, I checked the base for a burr or nick and didn’t find anything that would be causing the scratches.

Like I said, once I get it into one base or the other I don’t have any problems, it’s just in the switching.
The next router I buy will be a 3hp for the router table. That way I can use the ryobi for plunging (which I don’t need very much) and use the bosch as the fixed base.

View John Gray's profile

John Gray

I have the same router and do not have a problem like yours. IMHO I would call/email Bosh technical support of the problem and see what they have to say. I’m sure they don’t want to have blogs like this showing up.

-- Only the Shadow knows....................

roundabout22

John, All the reviews I read about this router were good. I wouldn’t have bought it otherwise. My main purpose and I probably should have mentioned it in the review, was to make sure others, if they bought/buy this router, don’t wait to long in using it to see if theirs does the same thing. I do woodworking as a hobby in my spare time. Right after I bought this I used the plunge base a little, and then got busy, by the time I found I had a big problem on my hands I had past the warranty date.

View Thos. Angle's profile

Thos. Angle

I’ve had this same outfit for about 18 months. It stays in my table and gets the crap run out of it. I thought it might give up from all the work but it just keeps on going. If it would blow up maybe I could talk Carleen into that new 3 1/4 that Rockler has. I just looked, it’s over 2 years.

-- Thos. Angle, Jordan Valley, Oregon

View KDL's profile

KDL

I’ve got the same router kit and have no real problems. The motor can be a tiny bit sticky going into the fixed base, but then I want a tight fit. As long as I open both the rough and fine locks, the motor goes where it should. My only complaint is that when I close the fine-adjustment lock, the bit rises a tiny amount, so I have to take that into account when setting the bit depth. So far it’s run like a champ. I would life built-in dust collection, just there’s an adaptor for that too.

View Masterchief 's profile

Masterchief

I just purchased this router and it is really nice. I do not have any issues with it. By with all my tools in the past I have taken the time to wax matting parts and perform shop maintenance once a month. I do have a complaint though, I purchased the Bosch table and found it difficult to mount the router to the table, go figure (Bosch and Bosch). But once mounted it was really nice.

-- When you are at a point in life and you think there is nothing more to learn, then you must understand that you have learned nothing at all. Billy

View reluctant's profile

reluctant

I too have this kit and it has served me well. I have the same issue KDL mentioned, but it doesn’t really bother me much… just reminds me to double check the bit height all the time. I haven’t used it in a router table yet, but when I do I hope to get the PRL and the adapter for it. Good review, thanks!

View Jeff's profile

Jeff

I thought I was the only guy on the planet with the same motor-into-the-fixed-base issue! Finally, someone to commiserate with… I love the performance of the motor and love using it in the plunge base. However, every time I switch back to the fixed base I cringe. Maybe we just bought from a bad batch. My motor is scratched much worse than yours too. I’m always really careful with the alignment of the arrows on the base and the flange on the motor (as instructed in the manual) but it NEVER goes smoothly unless I start things a little off kilter. The problem is accurately assessing “a little off kilter”...

-- Jeff, St. Paul, MN

View Chris 's profile

Chris

Wow… Never seen that issue before. Thanks for the heads up!

roundabout22

Jeff, Like you said it’s nice to know I’m not the only one that has to start things a little of kilter

-- remember always measure once and cut twice

When I went shopping for my router combo kit, I had it narrowed down to the Bosch 1617 and the Dewalt 618 (porter cable 890 a close third). I got the chance to switch bases on the Bosch at three different stores. All three were very difficult to change out – because the router must be twisted as it is inserted to follow the groove in the base. I also noted that the fit was overly tight. Interestingly, all three Bosch units had magnesium motor bodies, which has now been changed to shiny aluminum. Did that solve the problem?
For me, the change came too late, and I decided on the Dewalt (groove in base is straight, and motor fits snug but not tight).
Best of luck to all

roundabout22

I have found that the hotter the motor the worse it gets. For now I do most of my routing with the fixed base. I don’t switch the base unless needed. From what is posted on the net the aluminum motor seems to have solved the issue. At least I haven’t heard of anything like this lately.