Fuji Mini Mite 4 Platinum.

Review by Carloz posted 11-25-2016 04:33 PM 3567 views 0 times favorited 0 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Fuji Mini Mite 4 Platinum. Fuji Mini Mite 4 Platinum. Fuji Mini Mite 4 Platinum. Click the pictures to enlarge them

I needed to clear coat some pretty large plywood items and used it is as an excuse to buy a spray gun. Initially I bought 2 stage unit but after thinking about it more I though that I might run into situation where it will not be enough. Fortunately retailer had no problem upgrading the unit ( I even did not unpack it).
When I opened Mini Mite 4 I found a pleasant surprise . Even though I purchased the regular Mini Mite 4 the one in the box was a newer Platinum series. The difference is that the Platinum has extra cooling and noise suppressing measures, also the gravity feed version comes with nylon cup versus metal cup. The manufacturer claims it runs colder and quieter. As I have nothing to compare it to I cannot verify the claim, but it is much quieter than my 16 gl 6.5 HP Shopvac. When it does get very loud is when you disconnect the gun from the hose to blow off sawdust.

So yesterday I spray painted some under a gallon GF water based polyurethane. Most of the job looks real smooth, and that is taking into account that have zero experience spray painting and spent about a minute adjusting the pattern and fluid flow. A few spots did get some minor orange peel, and that is mostly at the very bottom. The rigid hose interfered with my ability to move the gun evenly. I did not thin the polyurethane at all as the sprayer had no problem itemizing it. I used the default 1.3 mm nozzle that came with the gun.I would have spent more than a day or two to brush all the items I have but with the spray gun it was 3 times 10 minutes job. After that cleaning the gun of the water based poly was very easy.

Immediately after that I spray-painted a bicycle that was waiting for this opportunity for some time with some very expensive automotive urethane paint ($30 for half pint). That went very well and only used half of that amount (1/4 of pint) to apply 3 coats to the whole bicycle. Gravity feed gun was really beneficial here as it allows you to use every last drop of paint while suction feed cup leaves some paint that cannot be used.

However cleaning the gun was a much more difficult task than after water based polyurethane. I spend good 45 minutes using some pretty active gun cleaner solution and still did not manage to take the paint from all the crevices. Part of the problem was that the paint leaked between the cup and the cover creating incredible mess.

I also applied two clear coats and that was less successful with some orange peel here and there. All due to my inexperience.
I had an impression that automotive painting is a more difficult and less forgiving task than wood painting.

The conclusion: The gun probably is more than an average non-professional will ever need. Noise appeared to be a non-issue. Rigid hose however is an issue. Fuji should have included a whip hose which optional now.
Using the gun is much fun as it allows rather precise paint flow, which is very crucial. Pattern control works good to, it is much less precise but it does not have to be very accurate. I did not use the air control valve as I painted outside. Probably inside it could be of some use to reduce overspray.

If you spray much non water based finishes. 3M PPS system is a good buy as cleaning the gun takes time and more solvent than you would pay for a PPS cup with a liner.
For water based finishes I do not think it is necessary as the supplied nylon cup clean easily.
New nylon cup that the manufacturer claims works without gasket still was leaking. Most probably an error on my part. I still would prefer the old metal cup with a gasket, even though it is an extra step in cleaning and is subject to wearing out.

View Carloz's profile