I gave Ryobi One a shot and love them.

Review by agallant posted 11-17-2016 04:35 PM 2543 views 0 times favorited 22 comments Add to Favorites Watch
I gave Ryobi One a shot and love them. No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

About 10 years ago I bought a Ryobi combo kit from home depot which included a drill, skill saw, sawzall and flashlight. It was promptly returned and I spend the extra money on a 18V Ridgid combo kit which I have added a few batteries and extra cordless tools to over the years. About three weeks ago I was noticing the batteries were getting tired, the drill was wearing out and the other tools were showing their age.

I have been looking at the Roybi one stuff at home depot for a while thinking it was quite useful with the amount of tools that they have but reflecting on my past experience I shunned them and kept telling myself I would buy another Ridgid kit. Well as things happen my leaf blower died and I noticed at Home Depot they had the Ryobi One cordless on sale for $99 so I bit. I liked it so I bought the hedge trimmer, I liked that so I bought the work light, then my wife wanted a drill to keep in the house so I bought here a Ryobi One drill which I promptly took out to the shop and started using for my own use. I was very impressed with it, it was nothing like the cheap blue tools they used to make. I decided to take the plunge and replace all of my cordless tools with Ryobi one and I am very happy with them . In some regards they are better than my Rigid, but keep in mind my Ridgid tools were anywhere from 2-10 years old.

Here is my take on the tools I have. They are all 18V Ryobi One

Leaf Blower – I love that its cordless and I don’t have to mess with gas or cords just grab it and go. It is not something you would want to do your entire lawn but blowing off the driveway after cutting the grass or clearing off the deck its great.

Hedge Trimmer – It works just as well as my corded trimmer but as with the leaf blower I love that I can just grab it and go. It will drain a battery fairly fast though but in terms of performance issues I have no complaints with it.

Work Light – This by far is the most useful out of the bunch. I love that its cordless and does not get hot like my corded one. I have found more uses for this thing than I could have imagined when I first bought it. Its super bright and will light up a fair amount of my back yard. A fully charged 2AH battery will last about an hour and a half.

Dust Buster – Its not super strong but it was $24 and I keep it next to my table saw so I am not wiping the dust on the floor. Its powerful enough to suck the dust out of the miter slots and cracks around the fence rails. It does what it is supposed to do.

Skill Saw – Im not thrilled that its a 5 1/2 inch blade but it will cut 2X4 all day just fine. I think it is more powerful than my old Ridgid and it has a laser that comes on when you hit the safety and gets brighter when you pull the trigger. The laser is dead on. Its a great feature.

Sawzall – Im going to say that my Ridgid was better but this one is faster and much lighter. If you are doing demo for a living you may want to consider something else but for myself who uses it for home projects and to break things down so they can be carted off to the dump its more than fine.

Impact Driver – This thing is an animal compared to my Ridgid. Its much faster. It will drive 3” deck screws all day long. After using this I can’t believe how slow my Ridgid one was.

Drill – This was the biggest surprise of the bunch. I am still building my shop, finishing up the interior. I was using it to drill one inch holes through a top plate (two 2X4 stacked on eachother) and it was doing it with ease. It has as much torque if not a bit more than my Ridgid one had. I was very surprised there was no bogging down or anything.

Hammer Drill – Same as the drill above. As for the hammer part I had to drill a few holes in Brick a few days ago and it did the job just as well as my Ridgid did

Tire inflater – Its a bit slow but I throw it in the back of the truck when I am pulling my 10,000# boat and trailer. The trailer had four tires and one is always low. While its not the fastest inflator I can bring the trailer tires back up to 65PSI no problem. It also hase a pressure gauge built in which I have verified with a digital hand held unit and its accurate.

View agallant's profile

agallant

View Bill1974's profile

Bill1974

#1 posted 11-17-2016 08:18 PM

I have may of the same tools and have the same feeling. They are not the absolute best tools out there, but for the cost they are a great value. I still have a few of the old blue versions. The big improvement was the move to the lithium batteries, I also most use the 4 amp-hr ones. I rarely run them dead and I have enough of them that I don’t think I would not have a charged one sitting around. I do link the cordless nailers for doing work around the house and yard or at someone else’s house. In the workshop I usually still use air ones, they are more compact and much lighter. But the drill, hammer drill (rarely use, I go to a SDS rotary hammer if i need to drill concrete), sawzall (okay for light demo, not everyday use, too slow), circular saw (okay for rough cuts), oscillating tool, flood light (one of the most used too) and impact driver (old blue one, takes a beating and keeps going, it breaks bits before stalling out)

View firefighterontheside's profile

firefighterontheside

19036 posts in 1998 days

#2 posted 11-17-2016 08:22 PM

I have great luck with my drill and impact driver set.

-- Bill M. "People change, walnut doesn't" by Gene.

View htl's profile

htl

#3 posted 11-17-2016 11:42 PM

5 stars from me
One thing I loved about the Ryobi’s was when they remodeled their tools the new batteries work with the older tools so all my old tools got an upgrade when I got a few of the newer yard tools.
The yard tools don’t get used that much but my wood working tools are used every day so got to love the fresher stronger batteries.
One other thing that’s interesting and I never noticed it till I had them, many of the new tools come with different size or strength batteries.
At first I was upset about this but now with arthritis taking over my life the weaker lighter batteries come in handy on many jobs and sure I have to charge them sooner but I can use them longer because they’re not as heavy in use..

-- An Index Of My Model making Blogs here on Lumber Jocks.. http://lumberjocks.com/htl/blog/116729

View AtlanticBryan's profile

AtlanticBryan

28 posts in 1986 days

#4 posted 11-18-2016 12:21 AM

I’m also happy with the Ryobi 1 equipment. My only complaint with the two drills I have is that the chuck seems to loosen on its own sometimes, but I use them constantly. My wife loves the weight of the string trimmer, but I find it tends to jam up. The mini vac isn’t worth much. The circular saw is great, especially when breaking down 4×8 sheets on the floor.

-- I'm not talking to myself ... I'm consulting an expert!

View runswithscissors's profile

runswithscissors

#5 posted 11-18-2016 12:47 AM

I think that group of tools are called “Plus One” (+ One).

View Scott Oldre's profile

Scott Oldre

#6 posted 11-18-2016 01:07 PM

I have several Ryobi tools. Even had the Ryobi Radial Arm saw back in the early 80’s. I have the original set of blue that I bought years ago, and I have started switching to the ONE+ batteries which are awesome. My combo disc and belt sander is used nearly every Saturday, and I’ve had that over 10 years.

-- Scott, Irmo SC

View ward63's profile

ward63

#7 posted 11-18-2016 03:21 PM

I’d have to agree with the poster except for the garden tools which I don’t have. I used to buy Makita but their prices are extremely high in Japan but then every tool maker is a ripoff here. I usually get mine from ebay since Ryobi Japan is completely different from Ryobi America,

View misterChips's profile

misterChips

#8 posted 11-18-2016 10:10 PM

Dollar for dollar I find that Ryobi is the better deal when it comes to a lot of the tools that I use in my wood working shop. I do have some high price tools but I get the same results and have save money that will allow me to buy more wood.

-- Don't only practice your art, but force your way in to its secrets... Ludwig Von Beethoven.

View Scott Oldre's profile

View Andre's profile

Andre

2058 posts in 1948 days

#10 posted 11-19-2016 06:50 PM

Think I have had every tool (18V) they made! My Favorite by far is the sandcat corner sander! Hit and miss here in Canada if and when some tools are in stock, had to replace my sander recently and had to go through EBay.

-- Lifting one end of the plank.

View htl's profile

htl

#11 posted 11-19-2016 10:52 PM

It’s funny how most of the tool makers are starting to sell the cheaper combos but since I already have the ryobi batteries why switch now. LOL

View Dave G's profile

Dave G

#12 posted 11-20-2016 12:07 AM

I have a Ryobi portable planar I bought cheap 12 years ago and beat the snot out of and it still runs like a champ. I think Ryobi made solid tools and they appear to be doing so still – great value. After reading this review, I’m considering their line for when my Bosch drill bites it (soon). Thanks!

-- Dave, New England - “We are made to persist. that's how we find out who we are.” ― Tobias Wolff

View Pennywize's profile

Pennywize

#13 posted 11-20-2016 12:23 AM

I have porter cable 18v and they have been good. I have been looking for an expanded set other than the drill, impact driver and circ saw. I’ll have to check out the Ryobi. Thanks for the review. Anyone know of any deals on these during the BF sales?

View abie's profile

abie

#14 posted 11-20-2016 03:48 PM

Interesting since they are all owned by the same co..

Side note: Ryobi, Ridgid, AEG and Milwaukee tools are manufactured by TekTronics International aka TTI (surprise, surprise!!!) which is based in Hongkong. Ridgid DOES NOT belong to Home Depot like some of HD employees state. They just have a semi-exclusive deal (the deal is exclusive but you can still buy stuff elsewhere) for some products, especially Ryobi.

Here’s what I found on the net:

Emerson Electric owns Ridge Tool and the “Ridgid” brand name. Emerson also makes some (but not all) of the tools sold under the “Craftsman” brand. As pointed out in the Emerson news release, the new “Orange” Ridgid tool line is made under license by TekTronics International (TTI) which is based in Hongkong. TTI is the parent company of Ryobi and One World Technologies (OWT).

-- Bruce. a mind is like a book it is only useful when open.

View Greg the Cajun Wood Artist's profile

Greg the Cajun Wood Artist

#15 posted 11-20-2016 04:27 PM

All of my battery tools are Makita… 3 drills, brushless impact driver, circular saw, jig saw, multi tool and right angle drills. It is easy to get caught up in buying the same brand tools when you already have 3 chargers and 6 batteries.
I recently bought the Ryobi 18v fan and worklight with a charger and the 2 pack of plus 1 batteries that are 4ah.
I am impressed with them both even they are not tools that I use for my woodworking.

-- Wood for projects is like a good Fart..."better when you cut it yourself"