StrongHold Clamps

Review by dustbunny posted 08-03-2009 02:23 AM 4670 views 0 times favorited 5 comments Add to Favorites Watch
StrongHold Clamps No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I accidentally posted this review under the blog section, and thought I better correct it.

I was looking for a clamp that could hold a glue up of two 45 deg strips of wood to make a block. Basically two triangles glued together to make a square. All the woodworking site searches produced nothing. Then I came across these clamps on a welding website.

Photobucket

I ordered three of them from my local welding supply store to see how they would work. The man at the supply store had never seen them, apparently they have a patent pending. Took them home and tried them out.
The clamping pads swivel from about an 80 deg angle to more than 180 deg angle. Also the pad heads are locked inline with the clamp, but can be unlocked to swivel 360 deg. The clamping mechanism is on the same principle as a vise grip, having a threaded adjustment for closing or expanding the jaws, and a quick release lever.
When I clamped up my triangle strips the swivel head pads centered the two triangles together and put the clamping pressure directly over the angled center glue up.

Photobucket

After clamping together maple & purpleheart, walnut & purpleheart, and maple and walnut, I planed them down to size being careful to keep the 45 to the corners. Then glued up the strips like I do for an endgrain cutting board, cut to thickness, and flipped and rolled until I was happy with the pattern, glued again.
The board in the pictures was my attempt, I think it was successful.

The website I have posted has some great clamps that can be used for all types of applications, I am going to put rubber pads on the clamping surfaces to protect the wood, but other than that, these clamps are an awesome solution.

Lisa

-- Imagination rules the world. ~ Napoleon Bonaparte ~ http://quiltedwood.com

View dustbunny's profile

dustbunny

1149 posts in 2039 days

#1 posted 08-03-2009 04:48 AM

Looks like it works great

View jack1's profile

jack1

1952 posts in 2771 days

#2 posted 08-03-2009 07:16 AM

Ah, that’s what you use them for. Neat.

-- jack -- ...measure once, curse twice!

View BTKS's profile

BTKS

1971 posts in 2208 days

#3 posted 08-04-2009 04:58 PM

Whatever works, great solution to a common problem. Thanks, BTKS

-- "Man's ingenuity has outrun his intelligence" (Joseph Wood Krutch)

View skeeter's profile

skeeter

233 posts in 2085 days

#4 posted 08-05-2009 05:36 PM

hey dustbunny you are right they are quality tools. I had a job fabricating ornamental metal handrails for federal building restorations and we used bessey f clamps exclusivly. When they started getting worn out they replaced them with the stronghands and wow what a difference. Tough tools.

-- My philosophy: Somewhere between Norm and Roy

View PurpLev's profile

PurpLev

#5 posted 08-02-2010 04:50 AM

quite inventive head for those clamps – impressive.

that board looks fantastic Lisa!

-- ㊍ When in doubt - There is no doubt - Go the safer route.