Norton Ceramic Sandpaper disks

Review by PPK posted 11-14-2016 08:47 PM 3028 views 0 times favorited 6 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Norton Ceramic Sandpaper disks No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I’ve (unfortunately) used a lot of sanding disks in my history of wood working. One thing that makes sanding a little more pleasurable is having good abrasives. I’ve found that the best abrasive is the Norton Ceramic disks. Coming in Second, right behind these would be the 3M-brand purple disks. I believe these purple ones are either ceramic or a ceramic blend abrasive.

At any rate, the ceramic disks do cut more aggressively, so you often have to choose a grit step of two up from say, a aluminum oxide or “standard” sand paper.

These disks last for a LONG time. I mean a long time. I can sand two or 3 cabinets, and the thing is still cutting. Another thing that I like about these is that they kind of turn color as they wear out. They start out blue, and by the time they are worn out, they’ll be white. Nice visual indicator of the grit life. I’m not sure if this is intentional, but it seems to be the case.

Finally, these are pretty readily available for all of us at the big green box store.

View BigYin's profile

BigYin

#1 posted 11-14-2016 10:02 PM

I gotta say, I do like DRONCO made in germany sanding discs. Good life span even on oak
but i will give these norton ones a try

-- ... Never Apologise For Being Right ...

View Evans_Woodcrafts's profile

Evans_Woodcrafts

#2 posted 11-15-2016 01:24 PM

What hole pattern are they? Im searching for some new paper for my festool.

#3 posted 11-15-2016 02:16 PM

Devans, they are 8-hole, hook and loop.

View BigYin's profile

BigYin

#4 posted 11-15-2016 05:30 PM

PPK / Devans you might like KLINGSPOR discs made in Germany and USA
but as always its down to price and availability where you are

-- ... Never Apologise For Being Right ...

#5 posted 11-15-2016 05:41 PM

BigYin,
Actually, funny you mention Klingspor, I did order hook and loop sand paper in a ROLL for my (homemade) drum sander, and just finally changed it out for the first time the other night. I bet that sandpaper had a solid 2 hours of use on it, and I wasn’t taking it easy on the feed rate or anything! The paper didn’t tear or blow up, it was just not cuttting as fast as it used to. I’ll definitely be buying Klinspor paper for my drum sander again. It was the cheapest hook and loop paper I could find in a roll also.

-- Pete

View AHuxley's profile (online now)

AHuxley

#6 posted 11-21-2016 09:03 AM

What hole pattern are they? Im searching for some new paper for my festool.

- Devans87

Klingspor and Rhino Grip both make Festool hole pattern paper and there is also the option of Abranet.