An Excellent DC!

Review by Dustmite97 posted 08-01-2009 09:07 PM 3503 views 0 times favorited 10 comments Add to Favorites Watch
An Excellent DC! An Excellent DC! No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Update: At christmas time I upgraded to a 2 micron filter bag. I noticed a big difference and I am very happy now. Because of the upgrade I decided to edit my review. With the 2 micron bag it is exactly the same as the 10-105M model, so I can pretty much call it that one now. in conclusion, I now rate it 5 stars.

I have been woodworking since grade five and always had a big problem with dust in the shop. I started reading up on dust collectors and got very interested in them. just this year I started going to stores to look at dust collectors. I first went to a local Rona store and found this General International collector. I thought it looked very nice and it’s specs seemed pretty good. So I put that one on my list and went to look at more. At a Lowes store I spotted the Delta 50-760 and the Delta 50-720. I liked the 50-760. I also hear a lot of good things about the 50-760 but this one was out of my price range and I also wasn’t very interested in the 50-720. So I bought the General International collector and all of it’s accessories. The unit was very well packaged, no damage to it at all. Assembly was very easy and it didn’t take that long. I first tried it out on my scroll saw. I know scroll saws don’t make that much dust but the collector did a very good job. I also tried it out on the table saw and it worked fabulous, it was almost a dust-free operation. The reason for the four star rating is because a 30 micron bag is standard equipment. Other than that it is a very quiet collector for 80-85 decibels, it has sturdy construction, great suction power, fan cooled motor, and it comes with clear plasic collection bags which makes it very easy to view sawdust accummulation. I simply move it from one machine to another which really isn’t that big of an issue. I use it on the table saw, miter saw, drill press, scroll saw, router table, sanding, and whatever other dust producing operation I perform. Overall it was a great addition to the shop and it has made it a healthier and cleaner environment, money well spent!

View lew's profile

lew

#1 posted 08-01-2009 09:14 PM

Thanks for the review. This sounds like a great dust collector. I have been looking, also. The low db level is something that I would need.

-- Lew- Time traveler. Purveyor of the Universe's finest custom rolling pins.

#2 posted 08-01-2009 09:59 PM

“I bought the General International collector and all of it’s accessories” Accessories such as ?
In your second picture , is all of the dust on the outside of your DC due to the 30 micron bag , or do you have a leak somewhere ? Have you replaced it with a finer filter since this picture was taken ? It is this very fine dust that accumulates in our lungs and that is why the newest filters are 3microns or less . If you don’t have an air filtration system yet , put one at the head of your must have list .

#3 posted 08-01-2009 10:39 PM

Looks and sounds just like a harbor freight

View John Gray's profile

John Gray

#4 posted 08-01-2009 11:07 PM

Looks like you have a good idea but when you add a 1 micron filter bag you might be up to the price of the Delta 50-760 that comes with a 1 micron bag. I have a Delta 50-760 and it’s a great machine with room on the platform for a metal trash can pre-collector so you don’t have to remove the plastic collection bag near as often, the attached link shows the pre-collector like I built.

Below is a good source of information about dust collecting.

-- Only the Shadow knows....................

View davidroberts's profile

davidroberts

#5 posted 08-02-2009 01:49 AM

Hey a1Jim: When I complained about the cost of DCs, a buddy who works at the retail woodworking store pointed me towards the HF model. He said he owned one and was happy with it. Do you own a HF model and what are your thoughts. TIA.

View HokieMojo's profile

HokieMojo

#6 posted 08-02-2009 04:57 AM

just an fyi, the smaller the dust particles, the deeper into your lungs they get. a cutoff of 30 microns MAY help your shop look clean, but all the really small pieces in the air will hang up there for a long time and really do some damage to your lungs. I’m sure that a 30 is better than nothing, but getting to a 2 micron or smaller would be much better. also, you will notice that after swtiching to a smaller micron bag, you will lose a lot of the suction power you thought you had. This product may still work for you, especially if you don’t spend a lot of time in the shop, but I think you’d be well served to spend a little more on higher quality if this is really something you spend significant time on.

Alternatively, for about $40, you can get a VERY high quality resperator and even throw in some carbon filters for chemical filtration. They are relatively comfortable and do a great job. Search 3M if you want more info.

#7 posted 09-21-2009 03:45 AM

Companies should not make 30 micron bags anymore. They do an ok job with filtering but they are pretty much useless if you want to fully protect your lungs.

#8 posted 11-13-2009 04:42 AM

I will soon be upgrading to a 2 micron bag.

View Manitario's profile

Manitario

#9 posted 07-07-2010 04:41 AM

Thanks for the review. I just ordered this DC, along with a 1 micron canister filter, so I’m very interested in trying it out, and very tired of having my sinuses plugged by dust for days after I’ve been in my workshop.

-- Sometimes the creative process requires foul language. -- Charles Neil

View Jonathan Alson's profile

Jonathan Alson

#10 posted 01-23-2012 02:58 PM

Good in depth review. 2 micron bags certainly make the difference, without a doubt. I dont even know why companies bother with the likes of 30 micron anymore. The low DB level is certainly appealing, but this is a dust collector, and this is woodwork, somethings are just going to be loud no matter what.

- Dust Collector Reviews