Significant Improvement over SawStop Overarm Dust Collector

Review by jmos posted 11-08-2016 04:23 PM 4171 views 0 times favorited 5 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Significant Improvement over SawStop Overarm Dust Collector Significant Improvement over SawStop Overarm Dust Collector Significant Improvement over SawStop Overarm Dust Collector Click the pictures to enlarge them

I recently purchased a SawStop 3hp PCS with the overarm dust collection. I replaced a Jet hybrid saw where I had upgraded the stock blade guard to a Shark guard and had been very happy with the results.

I was hopeful the SawStop overarm dust collection would be as well designed, and operate as well as the rest of the saw. Unfortunately, it doesn’t. The SawStop overarm dust collection has a small hose that connects to it, and that narrows to nearly nothing as it goes into the blade guard to the point where suction is seriously diminished. When doing skim cuts, where the blade is not surrounded by wood on both sides, there is a heavy spray of sawdust all over the table, and I’m sure a cloud of dust into the air.

I finally broke down and bought the Shark Guard for the SawStop, and it is much better. I had my system setup for a 4” drop to the blade guard, so I got the 4” port like I had with the Jet. The difference is striking in how well it collects the dust.

Switching from riving knife to blade guard attachment on the SawStop is easy, but the Shark Guard makes it even more convenient. I really like that the Shark Guard riving knife includes the mounting points for the guard, so I almost never have to remove the ZCI and change the knife.

If you’re thinking of getting a SawStop, or adding blade guard dust collection to your SawStop, I highly recommend the Shark Guard over SawStops own accessory.

-- John

View jmos's profile

jmos

View OggieOglethorpe's profile

OggieOglethorpe

1276 posts in 2015 days

#1 posted 11-09-2016 09:45 PM

Splitter and knife mounted guards are totally useless for sleds or non-through cuts, and more work than they need to be with others, like vertical cheek cuts, dovetails, and fence riding jigs.

View Mark Shultz's profile

Mark Shultz

#2 posted 02-24-2016 11:10 PM

i use this shark guard. nothing else to compare to but i like it. wish i did a better job dropping all the way to the table top – the rear rides high and lets dust out.

View Chris 's profile

Chris

#3 posted 11-22-2016 04:54 PM

John, I have owned the Sawstop 3hp PCS for a couple of years now but did not purchase it with the overarm option. Lately I have been thinking about adding it.. Your review has given me food for thought!

Thanks!

—Chris

View bluephi1914's profile

bluephi1914

#4 posted 12-16-2016 02:10 AM

i had the shark guard on a PM66 table saw i owned and i now have the saw stop table saw w/ over arm dust collection. IMO the Sawstop design is far superior… the Shark guard’s blade guard wobbles and isn’t really stable… and i mean the plastic guard that actually has the vacuum port on it. The saw stops dust guard doesn’t wobble and is stable…. it just feels more secure and doesn’t make me think that its going to hit the blade. It’s perfectly aligned/centered when sitting over the blade.

the sawstop and the shark guard appear to be built of equal quality; however the shark guard could be designed better. the blade guard on the SG doesn’t quite line up straight when sitting over the blade.. making me think that it will eventually get cut by the blade.

just my 2 cents… the splitter on the SG is great.. the ratcheting handle to remove the splitter is great.. but the dust guard/blade cover has to much wobble IMO and over time will eventually hit the blade.

when it comes to vacuum and dust collection, the saw stop wins… i am currently using a shop vac and it is more than adequate on the sawstop…. however on the PM66 w/ shark guard… it wasnt enough… so i guess i can say that the saw stop is much more efficient….. maybe with a full size DC system, the SG and saw stop would perform similarly.

-- Jack of all trades and a master of most of them.

View bluephi1914's profile

bluephi1914

#5 posted 12-16-2016 02:13 AM

Thanks!

—Chris

- Chris

chris you wont regret it. there is virtually no dust with the saw stop overhead collection system installed. Ive had BOTH the Shark Guard and now the saw stop dc system. the SG is ok… but the saw stops system was designed for their saw and is second to none IMO. Ive had a few saws… Grizzly 0715, PM66, Saw stop and Delta 36-715… im not speaking on what i read… speaking on what i have actually set up and ran myself. the dust collection on the saw stop is superb.. and superior.

-- Jack of all trades and a master of most of them.