What is wrong with Bostitch?

Review by sboyle posted 1856 days ago 12826 views 0 times favorited 33 comments Add to Favorites Watch
What is wrong with Bostitch? No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I bought a compressor not too long ago. It ran good for a while and now the pressure doesn’t build up. From what I read it is the valve assembly. I don’t know if I should replace it or just buy another brand. I thought Bostitch made good tools but this just changed my opinion. I read that one person actually replaced it 3 times. Am I wasting my time with this one? Should I toss it and buy another brand? Any opinions would be appreciated. I think I will be staying away from Bostitch in the future.

-- Hey, It will always make good firewood!!

View sboyle's profile

sboyle

View a1Jim's profile (online now)

112016 posts in 2211 days

If you have a repair shop for tools close by let them check it out before buying another brand.

View John Gray's profile

John Gray

I have this same compressor and it is so loud it almost drives me out of my shop and when I first bought it and fired it up the valve you are talking about blew up, they did send me another part right away. BUT if this compressor breaks down again it is history. When getting the next compressor I’m going to take a good hard look at the Makita MAC2400 Oiled Compressor, ND2ELK did a review on it and it looks very promising. Here’s a link to the review – http://lumberjocks.com/reviews/834

-- Only the Shadow knows....................

1075 posts in 1960 days

I have had mine about two years so far…..and I guess I have been lucky so far…it has held up well. But I do agree that it will wake the dead it is so loud….it also takes longer than it should to build up air.

I have a big belt driven one for the shop…it is hard to beat a good belt compressor…but when this goes down… I will probably get the one John is talking about… Tom (ND2ELK) speaks very highly of it and says it is very quite.

View ericandcandi's profile

ericandcandi

Well you can say that about anything. I think for the price it’ a fairly good deal.I have had mine for a year with moderate useage and have had no trouble with it. If you bought this not to long ago is there a warranty? If not, a valve assembly is 12 dollars. I have used the small nailers alot but never have used the large one that came in the kit. Hope this helps

-- ericandcandi in Louisiana- Home of the "LSU Tigers"

My Porter Cable has been going strong for over two years so far . I use it all of the time instead of firing up my big Craftsman unit. I probably over use it , as it was designed to operate the nailers that came with the kit , not for steady running. I would certainly buy it again : ) My friend had a Bostitch brad nailer and that thing ended up in the trash because it kept jamming on him . He liked my PC nailers and purchased one of his own and has had no problems with it to date.

View Tim_456's profile

Tim_456

if you decide to toss the unit you might want to consider keeping the tank. I did that and converted it into a portable tank. I added a few fittings, a valve, and a pressure regulator and now I have a portable tank that can be used around the house where I can’t get my larger one.

1075 posts in 1960 days

Dusty..thats wild… I have had nothing but good experiences with my Bostich nailers…I have everything from a pin nailer to framing and roofing nailers…but the few porter nailer’s I have had have all craped out on me. My dad has a P/C pancake compressor and has had it for a few yars…use’s it daily and has never missed a beat.

-- Don S.E. OK

Don K…all I know is what I’ve experienced and also my friends issue with his Bostitch …. I haven’t had a single problem with any of my PC products at all and would recommend them to anyone.

1075 posts in 1960 days

Oh don’t get me wrong Dusty… I have had nothing but good things come from ALL of my P/C tools…other than my nailer’s…I was just saying how sometimes a tool..or a brand of tools will work great for some…and tank for others. My dad thinks ALL Bostitch tools are junk and I am nuts for buying their nail guns….he has had nothing but bad luck with them…and only buys P/C guns, But my oldest Bostitch brad nail gun is over 12yrs old and I have never even changed the O-rings in it yet….still works like the day I bought it.

View pitchnsplinters's profile

pitchnsplinters

262 posts in 2071 days

5 Stars???? You are ranting about abandoning a product and you give it 5 Stars? Huh?

Don’t even get me started about the fact that this is NOT a review to begin with. Start a useless blog and keep this drivel out of the Review section.

-- Just 'cause a cat has kittens in the oven, it don't make 'em biscuits.

View Julian's profile

Julian

I personally think that pc and bostitch trim guns are all crap. I stick with the tried and true hitachi models, and not the ones you buy at the big box stores, but the professional ones. They will last as long as your carreer as a carpenter. As for the compressor, it’s a typical chinese made oilless compressor thats loud and not made to last. I prefer oil sump compressors due to the fact that they also will last a really long time and are quieter than the oilless models.

-- Julian, Park Forest, IL

View davidroberts's profile

davidroberts

John Gray – About 2 years ago, I bought the Makita MAC2400 Oiled Compressor from Amazon after reading all the reviews. No regrets. Very quite and no malfunctions so far. I use it for something about 3 times a week. From just another believer.

View Craftsman on the lake's profile

Craftsman on the lake

2383 posts in 2071 days

I’ve had this little Sears craftsman compressor for 4 years now. It has run my PC framing and finish nailer. Three roofs and several framing materials jobs later and it’s still kicking. It keeps up too. It’s an oil model. I know it’s a craftsman but for $99 it’s really held up and keeps going.

View Luke's profile

Luke

538 posts in 1927 days

If you want something nice you need to spend more money. In my opinion any compressor that comes with a “real” motor is a much better buy. You can usually tell the crap when it looks like a big plastic assembly on top. I had a PC pancake for a while and the brushes went bad. Replaced em and they went again. Another problem was the noise. Ya, they’re loud. The motor is jerry rigged into the assembly and if anything breaks it’s usually better to buy a new one. My current compressor is a rigid dual torpedo with a very large motor. It has high cfm and only takes about 30 seconds to fill both tanks. It holds more air than the pancakes and is much quieter, it’s more of a droning noise than that high pitched scream. My dad has an old torpedo with one of those plastic assembly, where the crap is the motor, things and it still works after 10 years. So I can’t say they suck entirely. I’m going in circles here but I still think a real electric motor is the way to go. The rigid was about $400 and it is very very heavy and built like a tank. And pitchinsplinters…. It’s a tool review if you ask me. Looks like he says it sucks, and maybe he edited it since you slammed it but it looks like he gave it one star…..

-- LAS, http://www.abettersign.com

View reggiek's profile

reggiek

2240 posts in 1904 days

I did a review on the Hitachi pancake compressor….it is by far a nice tool….a lot quieter then most…not to bad on the cost….and has been running like a champ.

see my review at = http://lumberjocks.com/reviews/861

-- Woodworking.....My small slice of heaven!