Oneida conversion kit filter cartridge

Review by mikeswoodshop posted 10-30-2016 06:03 PM 2723 views 0 times favorited 4 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Oneida conversion kit filter cartridge No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I have an older Oneida DC (1.5 hp) with internal cartridge .. inside the separator. This model is no longer
offered and I needed more power as my shop grew. Oneida offered (for a price ! ) a conversion kit to allow
the cartridge to be located outside the separator and advertised it to “increase flow”. Luckily when originally ordered,
I opted for the muffler thus I already had the outlet fitting tangent to the fan housing. This allowed for an easy installation of the ” conversation kit ”.

I just wanted to let anyone interested in ordering Oneida replacement cartridges to see what I received. Since the
“kit” parts consisted of: one standard HVAC Ell and the cartridge with end caps. The whole of the expense was the
cartridge.
It is visually obviously that glueing the end caps was too technically challenging and resulted in a finished product
that IMO would hardly pass as a Second. I complained to CS but their response was ” I spoke with my manager who confirmed that this is normal. It has to do with the manufacturing process and will not affect the filtration or airflow performance of your system whatsoever. ”

Really !!! Decide for yourself. When needed, I will not choose Oneida.

View mikeswoodshop's profile

mikeswoodshop

4 posts in 1929 days

#1 posted 11-02-2016 11:26 PM

I think we need more photos to sympathize with your plight. I have seen these units with internal filters, and they are compact but apparently difficult to clean. Other than the unsightly glue, how does the unit work now? Any increase in performance?

View mikeswoodshop's profile

mikeswoodshop

4 posts in 1929 days

#2 posted 11-03-2016 01:25 AM

I hope you understand that I abandon the internal cartridge to the pictured external cartridge. Also understand, doing so provided a new fresh cartridge vs the 8 year old. Yes, cleaning the internal was a real bear and I’m sure if I installed a fresh new internal I would have seen an improvement. I believe the external does allow better flow and obviously an x2 increase filter area. Sorry I do not have a water column to provide specific values.
My point in posting was that this cartridge was purchased to perform as a properly assemblied product. When a pleated cartridge has uneven spacing, the internal pressure is unbalanced. This causes an uneven decrease in filtration efficiency that would not be present otherwise.
All I wanted and paid full price, was a cartridge to perform at 100% of the filters design. With enough instrumentation, I could prove the decrease in effective filtration. “It will not affect the filtration” is not correct. This is a copout and clearly speaks to a lack of concern for customer satisfaction.
I do sell pleated filter cartridges for filtration of liquids for water. Nothing I sell is of the size needed for a woodworking shop. I do know this cartridge would not pass for a salable product. When assembling pleaded
filtration media, it is important that the spacing be consistent. Most all manufacturers’ use a circular jig to position the
pleats while assembling the end caps/seals while allowing the glue to dry. Without equalization of internal pressure in the cartridge the material not passing the filter media will cause excessive loading in the area of collection and cause a blowout.
Since Oneida would not take the material back as a defect I’m stuck and very unsatisfied. At sometime in the future, I’ll be glad to provide pictures that will visually prove what I have outlined above.
Maybe some other workers have purchased this cartridge and they can provide pictures inside their filters since Oneida says ” It has to do with the manufacturing process ”.

View Redoak49's profile

Redoak49

3238 posts in 1981 days

#3 posted 11-03-2016 02:11 PM

I agree it is unsightly. However, I think that it would be very difficult to measure a difference or unbalanced of pressure across the filter. I monitor the filter pressure on my cyclone and the numbers are pretty low in the 1-4” water range. Given this low a pressure, I think the chance of a blowout is small.

Is it unsightly….absolutely. Does it effect the filter performance a lot… probably not.

Next time I have to clean my Oneida filter I will take a look inside.

View Mork's profile

Mork

#4 posted 11-12-2016 04:27 AM

I have an Oneida cyclone with the external filter. My pleats are not very even. I don’t like it and also contacted Oneida about it. They basically told me the same as you. I do agree with the last post. I’m sure it has an effect but very minimal.

My biggest complain was dust gets caught in the tighter pleats and it makes the filter very difficult to clean. I suggested they make a filter with fewer pleats and sacrifice 10% of the filter area. This would open up the pleats and you could actually slap the side of the filter to dislodge fine dust… obviously they didn’t listen.

Of course air flow specs sell their system… never mind that after the first year the flow drops 30 because you cant get the filter clean!

I love most other aspects of my dust collector but I’d never buy another one from Oneida. Mostly because of the filter but I’d love to have a slightly shorter cyclone so I could use a larger barrel… it fills up very suer fast!