and the Winner is...........

Review by Routerisstillmyname posted 10-26-2016 05:06 PM 3367 views 1 time favorited 13 comments Add to Favorites Watch
and the Winner is........... and the Winner is........... and the Winner is........... Click the pictures to enlarge them

Just out of curiosity and old times’ sake, I decided to give the new Wixey type 2 a try.
same test as Capri and Accumaster. I repeated the tests several times just to make sure it was acclimated to weather but the readings stayed the same off by 0.2 and 0.3. it is also not as steady and smooth as Capri box.
well, if the box that I got is any indication of what most of these new Wixey’s are like then it’s a definite no go.
they may have at long last improved the LCD and replaced the watch battery with AAA ( not included by the way) but they have skimped on accuracy. even my old wixey after all these years as stated before is 100% dead on. but not this Type 2.
Even at a sale price of under 25$,looks like this is going back. and The winner is CAPRI bar none.

View ScottM's profile

ScottM

#1 posted 10-26-2016 06:38 PM

My Wixey Type 2 is consistently .1 off but I think that’s good enough for me. I may have to check out the Capri at some point. Thanks for the info.

#2 posted 10-26-2016 06:56 PM

with all these boxes, you have few that are dead on and few way off and or close enough.it’s always a roll of dice what you get.I agree. as long as you are always off by same amount then it’s ok. but you get different reading each time then it’s a guessing game.

View Greg the Cajun Wood Artist's profile

Greg the Cajun Wood Artist

#3 posted 10-26-2016 08:04 PM

I have the Wixey type 2 and have been completely satisfied with it’s accuracy. I bought it after my old wixey bit the bag after getting flooded back in August. My new one seems every bit as accurate and dependable after I zero it in.
Definitely a keeper at $29

-- Wood for projects is like a good Fart..."better when you cut it yourself"

#4 posted 10-26-2016 08:18 PM

yes i was surprised the one i got is 0.3 off especially when my super old one is still 100%. i wanted to keep it since i got it on sale for less than 25 but not this one. at some point i may have to give it another try. for now i have the Capri.it’s accurate and i can read the display.
like i said roll of the dice.

View JimDaddyO's profile

JimDaddyO

#5 posted 10-27-2016 01:51 PM

.... and here I am still using squares and drafting triangles in conjunction with the old eye balls to set mine. I am so far behind the times….lol.

-- my blog: http://watertoneworkshop.blogspot.ca/ my You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA?view_as=subscriber

#6 posted 10-27-2016 04:45 PM

you’re in good company.Norm never had to use any of these electronic toys.

View GR8HUNTER's profile

GR8HUNTER

#7 posted 10-27-2016 08:14 PM

don’t tell me that I just ordered 1 yesterday …..LMAO

-- Tony---- Reinholds,Pa.------ REMEMBER TO ALWAYS HAVE FUN

#8 posted 10-27-2016 08:51 PM

Wixey or Capri ? I’m sure most Wixey’s are within 0.1 if not dead on.In my case, I returned the Wixey and kept the Capri

View GR8HUNTER's profile

GR8HUNTER

#9 posted 10-27-2016 09:43 PM

well 0.1 is close enough for me …........LMAO

-- Tony---- Reinholds,Pa.------ REMEMBER TO ALWAYS HAVE FUN

View Mainiac Matt 's profile

Mainiac Matt

#10 posted 10-28-2016 02:04 PM

So, just out of curiosity, how do you know that you square isn’t off and the Capri is reading 0.2 deg off?

In my experience, it’s very common to have a square that’s off by a tenth or more.

I have half a dozen squares in my shop and only one that passes muster when I check it square by scribing a line off a straight edge, then flipping the square and scribing another line off the same edge on top of the original line, and comparing the two lines. Any angle between the two scribed lines is exactly double the error in the square.

-- I yam what I yam and that's all what I yam

#11 posted 10-28-2016 03:07 PM

everything is referenced off of rare calibrated EJB square and ECE. i have 5 squares total ( not from India or china) and two woodpecker triangles. these are not kept in shop or toolbox to get banged around. they are kept indoor in temperature controlled environment. they sleep in their own 12 inch padded boxes in a do not enter room which has two remote monitoring cameras and a time lock and alarm as well. I can only upload 3 pictures. I assure you these boxes get tested with all squares.
that is a curse of having OCD when it comes to accuracy.
but besides all this fanaticism, if you use two boxes on same square and you get two different readings then you know for sure it’s off.

View Mainiac Matt 's profile

Mainiac Matt

#12 posted 10-29-2016 05:50 PM

if you use two boxes on same square and you get two different readings then you know for sure it s off.
- Routerisstillmyname

Ahhh… but which one? That’s the trick question ;^)

-- I yam what I yam and that's all what I yam

View jimintx's profile

jimintx

#13 posted 10-30-2016 12:22 AM

Dang. This is an un-nerving thread. I was always just like JimDaddyO – I was happy with my triangles and straight edges.

Then, after watching videos, and reading Lumberjocks, I felt I was getting behinder and behinder, and decided to order a Wixey WR365. I should have it Monday.

Now I hope it was a good idea, and not a disappointment in the making.

-- Jim, Houston, TX