Capri angle gauge. Pleasant surprise not bad at all.

Review by Routerisstillmyname posted 10-21-2016 04:32 PM 2537 views 1 time favorited 11 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Capri angle gauge. Pleasant surprise not bad at all. Capri angle gauge. Pleasant surprise not bad at all. Capri angle gauge. Pleasant surprise not bad at all. Click the pictures to enlarge them

So, After major disappointment with Accumaster dud and before I purchase a Wixey gen2, I decided to give the Capri a shot. it’s about 5 dollars less than Wixey2 but it has the back-lit LCD and uses one AAA battery.
so as you can see from the pics it is extremely accurate. on the 90 degree tests using calibrated square it is always 100%. on the 45 degree tests using two woodpecker precision triangles, it registers 0.1 off sometimes. for most part it reads accurate 45 degree. it is however extremely stable. no jumping around on the display before or after you zero it.
it also is very easy to calibrate although it comes calibrated from factory.and it has very linear reading when tilting saw blade.again stable and no jumping around all over the shop.
it is larger than Wixey so that may be an issue when using it against smaller saw blades?
I gave it 4 star because they could have made the buttons slightly larger and more protruding.
so this or wixey? it all depends if you have OCD tendency when it comes to accuracy or not and if the occasional 0.1 reading on variable angles will bother you.

View CrazyRussianWoodShop's profile

CrazyRussianWoodShop

#1 posted 10-21-2016 08:57 PM

Thanks. Wixley also has 0.1 degree precision per their manual…

-- Michael Makarevich (CrazyRussianWoodShop): https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYNOkVS7B5_6A3GgNq7TtrQ

#2 posted 10-21-2016 09:35 PM

well yes. most of them do for the 90 degree and on some slightly more for 45 degree.

#3 posted 10-21-2016 10:48 PM

That 0.1 degree is the max tolerance allowed by the factory … Not usually what you will get in the package.
On another thread “DC” said OMG! that’s unacceptable, that is something like 1/8th inch error in 22 inches …
Well, if I ever cut a bevel id 22 inch wood it will be with a chain saw … I use a lot of 2/4 and 4/4 wood and find these devises to be accurate for my use.
The one I have is dead on accurate, been using it for several years it’s an old style Wixley and the Capri is of similar design … Darn good tool.

#4 posted 10-22-2016 12:51 AM

yes. i still have old wixey which is dead on after all the years but almost impossible to read now. the only other box that has the highest accuracy specs is beall Tilt Box II but they never sell those in stores and even hard to find on line but they didn’t upgrade the LCD. I can’t complain about Capri’s accuracy.I’ve tested few other throughout the years that were way off.

View robscastle's profile

View splintergroup's profile

splintergroup

2014 posts in 1222 days

#6 posted 10-23-2016 02:36 PM

I have a Tilt-box (don’t know the model offhand).

This was bought when I first noticed these angle gauges appearing online. I love the thing! Takes a 9V battery (still using the same battery after many years) and the LCD is easy to read (for my eyes at least). Nice solid metal construction

These angle gauges are the cats meow for setting table saw blade angles, I’m not surprised that many “copies” are starting to appear and that many are of dubious quality.

#7 posted 10-23-2016 02:53 PM

Agree. Tilt-box and Wixey were the first and the best. I wish Tilt box would update with back-lit LCD for us old frats but I never knew why they never sold in stores.

View soccer2010's profile

soccer2010

#8 posted 10-26-2016 10:32 AM

Grumpy Mike,
Where did you get that math as I don’t think it would be any where as high as 1/8”? I have a Wixey and love it. Highly accurate and easy to use but would prefer a AAA battery.

-- John

#9 posted 10-26-2016 06:35 PM

I didn’t do the math … As I said in the post, DC (Dick Cheney) said in another thread, that 1° error would calculate to 1/8th in 22 inches … Please read what is said.

I love my Wixley and it is dead on. I work with 1/2” and 3/4” wood and if the wixley was off 1° I don’t think it would show.

#10 posted 10-26-2016 06:53 PM

Hey, I just looked up the post originated by Rick M and answered by Dick Cheney … Yep I was wrong, DC says that the error would be .032 in 20 inches … which would be 1/32 and not 1/8th … guess I had a senior moment, I’ll be at the whipping post on Monday at noon.
But still I just don’t normally cut 20” wood.

#11 posted 10-26-2016 07:05 PM

whatever works for you. these reviews are basically to let prospective buyers know that you can’t rely on published specs or positive or negative reviews including mine. you have to do your own test and accept the results based on standards you have set for accuracy. even in wood working, to some people it’s a big deal to be 100% dead on and other doesn’t matter.I just reviewed a Wixey 2 and it’s off by .3. to me that’s not acceptable. especially from a company that had a head start and basically set standards with these gauges.more than likely the one that i got is way off but test results don’t lie. on the other hand if everyone keeps giving these companies free pass then they’ll keep making inferior tools.