Byrnes Model Machines

Review by Bobthewoodbutcher posted 10-18-2016 06:24 AM 4386 views 1 time favorited 6 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Byrnes Model Machines Byrnes Model Machines Byrnes Model Machines Click the pictures to enlarge them

About a year ago I bought (in fairly rapid succession) three of Jim Byrnes machine products. I had been looking for a miniature saw, and read glowing reviews of the “Jim Saw”. Well, I can attest to the super quality of all three of these machines in my shop. These were intended primarily for dollhouse furniture, but have been very useful for all sorts of projects. One of my current projects is a jewelry box that required many 1/4 and 3/8 panels. No sweat; just resaw (bandsaw) some 4/4 walnut, run it through the thickness sander, and it cuts like butter on the saw. The accuracy is unbeatable; very easy to cut to a couple of thousandths. I won’t go into all the design details of these machines since there is plenty of information on the website. But I can state that these are not toys like most miniature machines. They are relatively expensive, have loads of power, are extremely well made, heavy and strong, have great dust collection ports, and are ACCURATE. I also feel much safer cutting and sanding small parts on these tools rather than a 10” table saw and a floor standing disc/belt sander. The saw has plenty power to cut 3/4 hardwood when required. The thickness sander is adjustable in .002” increments and can take .006 – .008 in one pass easily in walnut.

View Bobthewoodbutcher's profile

Bobthewoodbutcher

View michelletwo's profile

michelletwo

#1 posted 10-18-2016 09:55 AM

I agree with your review. I’ve had these machines for years, and they are made very well, and not toys.

View Desert_Woodworker's profile

Desert_Woodworker

#2 posted 10-18-2016 07:49 PM

#3 posted 10-21-2016 12:07 AM

I have seen them being used, I agree with how well they are made

-- Norman - I never never make a mistake, I just change the design.

View Tango's profile

Tango

#4 posted 10-30-2016 06:22 PM

Amazing! Even the pictures are miniatures! :)

View Kuryakin's profile

Kuryakin

#5 posted 09-10-2018 04:47 PM

Any longer term updates? thanks!

View Bobthewoodbutcher's profile

Bobthewoodbutcher

#6 posted 09-11-2018 04:41 AM

I’ve had these for almost 2 years and still think these are great. The saw gets frequent use; the thickness sander is used mostly for milling thin slabs for miniature furniture, etc. The disc sander is a much more convenient tool to use than my Grizzly, and also very accurate. However, they both do pretty much the same thing.