Alternative to mobile bases

Review by Holbs posted 10-16-2016 03:30 PM 2307 views 1 time favorited 6 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Alternative to mobile bases No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

This goes hand in hand with my previous posted project about pallet bases: http://lumberjocks.com/projects/268018
I had a decision to make regarding how to move around my wood working machinery in my 2 car garage workshop which includes: 15” Jet planer, 8” jointer, Powermatic 66, Delta Unisaw, and any other machinery or cabinetry that needs to be move around. I could of went for the cabinet saw mobile bases with a price tag of $500+ (which have their own drawbacks) and 2 more Loma Tools mobile bases for the jointer & planer of $100+... but I went the mini pallet jack route for single use, economical, and super handy for more than just these 4 machines.
I wanted 100% stability in my base without worrying about locking wheels. I wanted to actually raise up the table tops of machines some inches due to my 6’1” height. I wanted to add underneath roll around cabinets under my cabinet saws that the main stream mobile saws would not allow.
This is a not a full size pallet jack but mini jack. Much easier to move around the shop and slide into place than a full size. I doubt I would have a need to life 5,000lbs of…something anyways :)
I’m very happy with it’s function, use, and quality made product.

#1 posted 10-16-2016 11:45 PM

What a great solution and definately will meet the needs you described

-- Norman - I never never make a mistake, I just change the design.

View Desert_Woodworker's profile

Desert_Woodworker

#2 posted 10-17-2016 12:15 AM

I like this idea and it will be something for me to consider.

-- Desert_Woodworker

#3 posted 10-17-2016 01:11 AM

I have been moving machines around almost every day for the last 3 weeks. Putting up drywall, mud & taping, sealing and painting. I’ve put this little mini pallet jack to wonderful use.

View buckeyedudes's profile

buckeyedudes

#4 posted 10-19-2016 11:41 PM

Good idea….er, do you have your machines on pallets or just the factory bases? The factory bases are high enough to get this jack under the bases (with the adjustable feet?)

-- Before you louse it up, THIMK!

#5 posted 10-19-2016 11:46 PM

I made my own pallet bases. A pallet lift would not get the forks under any machine by themselves. The factory bases are not high enough for me at 6’1”. These diy pallets raise the machines up 3” which fits me like a glove.

View agallant's profile

agallant

#6 posted 10-25-2016 01:22 AM

That is really not a bad idea if you have the space. My shop is 14*36 so this won’t work for me but if I had a bigger shop I would give this a go.