Grizzly G9955 Bench Top Dual Fan Dust Filter

Review by FrankLad posted 07-27-2009 06:03 PM 2180 views 0 times favorited 1 comment Add to Favorites Watch
Grizzly G9955 Bench Top Dual Fan Dust Filter No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

When I decided to move my small woodworking operation indoors, I knew I would need some type of dust collection system. My projects are small – mostly wooden rings and the occasional ring box or other small item, but I still didn’t want even a small amount of fine dust particles floating around in our house. The good thing for me was I knew I wouldn’t require a full-fledged, expensive unit.

After a bit of research (thanks to the guys in the LJ forums for suggestions!) I decided on the Grizzly G9955 Bench-Top Duel Fan Dust Filter. I’ve been using it almost daily for over 30 days and have been very pleased with the unit.

Setup was very simple. The only assembly required was to attach the plastic handle to the top of the unit with two provided screws. The clear hood pieces are adjusted to preference and held in place by velcro strips. Lastly, the filter (one ships with the unit, but I ordered an extra) simply slides into the front.

The unit performs well. One of the first tests I did was sanding a piece of Padauk with a belt sander. That is a pretty good indicator, as you would normally get fine bits of red dust everywhere. I could clearly see that the unit was quickly pulling the dust away as I sanded. Larger bits mostly get pulled “toward” the unit and not really sucked up. This is expected and completely fine – that’s the stuff I get later with the Shop Vac.
(...and when I do that, I tend to go over the filter and give it a bit of a cleaning as well)

Another good indicator for me was when a moth drifted into that territory and was “stuck” to the filter. Kinda felt bad for the little guy struggling so he was freed later when I turned the unit off. :)

I also run the unit when I’m working with cyanoacrylate adhesives. I NEVER smell the fumes when the unit is on.

One caveat for the average user may be the fact that you have to work close to the unit – within the hood area if possible – for best performance.

All in all the unit works VERY WELL for my small ring projects.

The only drawback I see is that it is only “relatively quiet”. Meaning, you’ll have to raise your voice a bit to be heard over it. For me, it also means my 4-yr old is able to sneak upstairs and scare me when letting me know it’s time to come down for dinner. ;)

-- Frank, Mississippi, Handcrafted wooden rings - http://www.bentwoodrings.com

View Don K.'s profile

Don K.

1075 posts in 1982 days

#1 posted 07-27-2009 06:10 PM

Congrats on the new tool….and lol at the 4yr old scaring you.

-- Don S.E. OK