Entertaining, occasional rambling, sometimes Jay is hard to hear

Review by Woodknack posted 10-04-2016 09:31 PM 2244 views 0 times favorited 7 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Entertaining, occasional rambling,  sometimes Jay is hard to hear Entertaining, occasional rambling,  sometimes Jay is hard to hear No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I thought I would review some woodworking (and related) podcasts. I often prefer podcasts over music while in the shop or on drives. This is my 3rd woodworking related podcast.

[A note about the rating … There is no reason this isn’t a 4 or 5 star podcast depending on the criteria. Since the name is, The Woodworking Podcast, I feel obligated to review it as such and relative to the 360 or Shop Talk podcasts which have stronger woodworking content and standalone. Some of you will find this silly but that’s okay, write your own review.]

The Woodworking Podcast is a weekly podcast by Youtube content creators, Nick Ferry, April Wilkerson, and Jay Bates. If you don’t know who they are then you probably won’t have much interest in the podcast because a lot of the discussion is about their project videos, personal lives and activities related to being a Youtube personality. Technically the audio is generally excellent although on some podcasts Jay Bate’s audio is quiet compared to Nick and April. Their personalities merge well and all of them are personable. Generally the topics include updates in their personal lives, clarifications and additional chat about their video projects, discussion about woodworking related events which they will be attending, and answering listener questions. Much like the Fine Woodworking podcast they can have a tendency to over explore a topic or over answer a question until they are off topic or even inventing solutions that are less useful than those they’ve already given. The audience is more likely to be people who identify with nebulous online communities like Youtube. The podcasters have different backgrounds and skill levels and the discussion is weighted toward the novice or intermediate with a heavy focus on shop related projects and tools. I would be surprised if there was an audience for this that did not overlap the creator’s Youtube content since a good portion of the discussion is related to their other online content and woodworking related events they attend. As a standalone woodworking podcast it will have a limited audience but as an addendum to their Youtube channels it is excellent.

View bobasaurus's profile

bobasaurus

#1 posted 10-04-2016 11:56 PM

What’s your favorite woodworking podcast? I’d like to start listening to some.

-- Allen, Colorado (Instagram @bobasaurus_woodworking)

#2 posted 10-05-2016 02:26 AM

My favorite is 360 Woodworking

Shop Talk Live is pretty good too

View CharlesA's profile

CharlesA

#3 posted 10-05-2016 11:43 PM

This is one podcast that I stopped listening to—Rick, you were more analytical in thinking it through than I was. I listed to an episode when they discussed using drywall screws for pocket holes. I’m not above using a kreg jig from time to time, but I want to listen to folks who are far more experienced and know a lot more than I do. I didn’t find that here.

#4 posted 10-06-2016 01:28 AM

I understand. I don’t think it’s a bad podcast but I believe someone looking for intermediate to advanced woodworking discussion will be disappointed. Nick Ferry’s background is as a set builder and he’s no slouch at basic workshop or advanced-beginner woodworking. Likewise with Jay Bates who no doubt has more projects under his belt than many hobbyists but has only recently moved away from pocket hole joinery and started exploring more traditional woodworking. April Wilkerson is a flat out novice. So I think it all depends what you want from a podcast. My next podcast review is going to move even farther from woodworking content.

#5 posted 10-06-2016 01:31 AM

Linn at Darbin Orvar also makes a podcast but I’m not going to review it. The content is too varied, it rambles and meanders, and doesn’t claim to be woodworking related. And honestly I’ve only listened to a couple partial episodes. I like the subjects but the lack of focus loses me.

View DW833's profile

DW833

#6 posted 10-10-2016 04:50 PM

Rick and Charles, agree on this podcast. I listen to three ww podcast and this is the least interesting one.
Too much time spent on non ww topics like video or trips. Same issue with all of them.
Woodtalk online and FWW are the other two I listen to. FWW is the least annoying of them.
Some Woodtalk issues are as good.

#7 posted 06-09-2017 02:22 AM

I was catching up on podcasts and heard the news, they are no longer making this podcast. They phrased it like a hiatus but the tone sounded like it was over.