Grizzly G0555 Band Saw with Woodslicer Blade - Wow!

Review by Greg Wurst posted 07-27-2009 01:21 PM 16496 views 4 times favorited 14 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Grizzly G0555 Band Saw with Woodslicer Blade - Wow! Grizzly G0555 Band Saw with Woodslicer Blade - Wow! Grizzly G0555 Band Saw with Woodslicer Blade - Wow! Click the pictures to enlarge them

I finally got to play with the new band saw, and wow what a difference a quality tool and blade make. I bought this primarily for resawing, and so far it has not disappointed.

The band saw came mostly assembled except for the base and table. It was really stuffed into the Styrofoam, and was a pita to get out. I had to tear the foam apart around the base to get it out.

Otherwise, it went together easily. The riser block was easy to install, and increases the resaw capacity to 12”. I highly recommend it.

Tensioning the Woodslicer took some doing. It took a little elbow grease to turn the knob enough to get it properly tensioned. I’ll probably create some type of lever to replace that knob. The tension quick release is a very nice feature.

A couple things that I wish the band saw had come with would have been wheel brushes and a taller resaw fence. For the money I can’t really blame them, and I created my own brushes:

bandsaw

I tried resawing some pieces with the fence parallel to the blade, but like every band saw I’ve ever used there was blade drift that needed to be accounted for. Once the fence was adjusted to compensate for drift I could run pieces through against the fence fine.

bandsaw

I ran a 6” tall piece of maple through on the short fence, and while the cut speed was diminished it cut fine and would have been even smoother if I had a taller fence to hold it against (next on my list to build).

bandsaw

I shaved a piece off some plywood to see if I could get some thin pieces. I was impressed here as well.

bandsaw

I was especially impressed when I realized I had done all these cuts with the blade tension released! Doh!

Overall, an excellent experience and I am impressed with the saw and the blade. For the money, this combination is hard to beat.

-- You're a unique and special person, just like everyone else.

View Greg Wurst's profile

Greg Wurst

View ellen35's profile

ellen35

2570 posts in 2087 days

#1 posted 07-27-2009 02:56 PM

I have one too.
Nice review of an excellent machine at a very reasonable price!
Ellen

-- "Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good." Voltaire

#2 posted 07-27-2009 03:32 PM

I have one, too, recently purchased.
I was able to slice a maple burl (not one suitable for bowl turning) like a ham, 1/16” thick pieces. Hold them up to the light, they’re translucent.
Nice saw.
Beats the old ShopSmith bandsaw a hundred ways.

d.

-- Will trade wife's yarn for tools.

View Don K.'s profile

Don K.

1075 posts in 1981 days

#3 posted 07-27-2009 04:30 PM

Congrats. Greg…I really like your wheel brushes also.

-- Don S.E. OK

View poroskywood's profile

poroskywood

614 posts in 2019 days

#4 posted 07-27-2009 04:43 PM

Greg, do you think this saw would have enough a$$ behind it to bookmatch 8” to 10” Curly Maple? I’ve been looking at the 17” and 19” but don’t want to over kill if I don’t have to.

-- There's many a slip betwixt a cup and a lip.--Scott

View Greg Wurst's profile

Greg Wurst

#5 posted 07-27-2009 05:04 PM

poroskywood – Good question, and I’ll have to get back to you on that. I have an almost 12” wide piece of maple cutoff I’ve had no use for, and planned to try to shave some veneer out of it. I’ll try to do that this week and get back to you.

-- You're a unique and special person, just like everyone else.

View dustbunny's profile

dustbunny

1149 posts in 1950 days

#6 posted 07-27-2009 10:45 PM

Greg,
Thanks for the review. Now I can hardly wait to get mine. This is the model I’ve been drooling over for the past few months. It was a toss up between the G0555 and the G0555X- heavy duty. I wanted to do some resawing and thought I may need the HD, but your review says it all- not necessary.
September 19th is the Grizzly tent sale in Muncy, PA, I wanted to go to see if I can find some deals, and at the same time pick up the band saw. Thanks again !!

Love the brushes- novel idea,
Lisa

-- Imagination rules the world. ~ Napoleon Bonaparte ~ http://quiltedwood.com

View Neodogg's profile

Neodogg

94 posts in 2082 days

#7 posted 07-27-2009 10:51 PM

sweet wheel brush!

-- If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem!

#8 posted 07-27-2009 11:07 PM

Great review. Nice wheel brush idea.

View davidroberts's profile

davidroberts

#9 posted 07-28-2009 12:17 AM

you should send that wheel brush into a wood magazine and get a free gift. really i’m serious. nicely done. besides, who wants to use a bandsaw with cavities ;>). I really appreciate your review because the Griz 14” is my next big purchase. When I persue CL I try my best to skip past all the deltas and jets and craftsman and harbor freights and hold out for a brand new griz. the griz 14” never show up on CL anyways.

#10 posted 07-30-2009 05:25 PM

While the fundamentals of most of these Taiwan import saws are mostly the same, I have to admit that the Grizzly GO555X was my first choice, but out of my price range… I’ve seen a few of these in use, and out of the box they have all the features I had to add on to my Harbor Freight, nice fence, good guides, tension release lever etc…

I have seen that bandsaw wheel brush idea all over the place, I need to get some rare earth magnets, and soon… That is one of the better mod ideas…

Enjoy the saw, that is a real winner, especially with the riser and woodslicers!

-- My workshop blog can be found at http://daves-workshop.blogspot.com

View ryno101's profile

ryno101

#11 posted 08-02-2009 02:54 AM

Thanks for the review… I’ve been eying this myself, and for the money? Sounds like you’re happy with it, which always helps hearing about!

-- Ryno

View a1Jim's profile (online now)

112093 posts in 2232 days

#12 posted 08-02-2009 03:11 AM

great review

View Rick Boyett's profile

Rick Boyett

#13 posted 08-09-2009 04:32 PM

I’m heading out to buy a G0555 from a guy advertising on Craigslist. This, and the other reviews, have me feeling like I’m getting a darn good saw.

I love your brush idea. That will be the very first modification I do on this saw.

View rlrjr's profile

rlrjr

#14 posted 02-06-2011 04:34 AM

I, too, am really pleased to hear these comments and compliments on the Grizzly 555 because I ordered one this morning. I’m going to mainly use it to re-saw so I can make small boxes, jewelry boxes and such to start with. I think this saw along with the DeWalt 13” planer should make for a pretty good combination. I already have the Incra TS/LS combo package on the Rigid.

On the Grizzly I also ordered the riser block kit, the mobile base (small shop so I can move it around) and the re-saw fence attachment.

All I need now is a couple of toothbrushes. I went through every page on Craigslist for the Atlanta area and didn’t see any band saws that looked like they were made in this century.

I also read somewhere that the 1” Timberwolf blade was a good choice for re-sawing. Has anyone used this blade?

-- When I works, I works hard. When I sits, I sits loose. And when I thinks I falls asleep.--