A great resource for both hand and power tool in woodworking

Review by Ben posted 1822 days ago 1931 views 0 times favorited 1 comment Add to Favorites Watch
A great resource for both hand and power tool in woodworking No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

When I was in college I wanted to start building things out of wood. So I went to my library (Pickler Memorial at Truman State University) and this is what I found. It was actually a series of three books “Joinery”, “Shaping, Veneering, and Finishing”, and “FurnitureMaking.” It seemed like an older series, but it was all they had so I checked them out. What a great source of information! These books were fanatastic. Tage Frid takes you through everystep imaginable from getting rough lumber and milling it into planks to the fine points of compound miter jointed dovetails. The books are in black and white, but it doesn’t matter the pictures are still extremely informative. Also, Tage Frid has excellent advice and methods that are well written and easy to understand. The book is also organized very well so it doesn’t take long to find a particular technique if you need a bit of brushing up.

I thought the books were so great I had to get them for myself. Online I found both books one and two in a single book. Book three was separate. Since I was a college student and low on funds I bought only the double volume book. Also, at the time I thought many of the designs in book three were outdated, but now I wish I had bought that book because many of the styles seem to be making their way back. Also, they take you through a step-by-step process of building all different types of furniture.

This is definitely one of my go to books when I want to look up or refresh myself on a technique. I could search the web, but Frid hasn’t failed me yet. It is well worth the investment, and you can still find it new or used on amazon.

-- Do something nice for somebody

View Ben's profile

Ben

1 comment so far

View PurpLev's profile

PurpLev

I’ll second that , FWW has some good books out there (and some mediocre ones as well though). Tage Frid, just like Frank Klausz really deliver and teach Woodworking in a pleasant, informative, and easy to follow manner.

-- ㊍ When in doubt - There is no doubt - Go the safer route.