Grizzly G0458 18" Open End Drum Sander

Review by Greg Wurst posted 1812 days ago 25077 views 2 times favorited 22 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Grizzly G0458 18" Open End Drum Sander Grizzly G0458 18" Open End Drum Sander Grizzly G0458 18" Open End Drum Sander Click the pictures to enlarge them

I finally got a chance to spend some time with the drum sander and I though I’d give you my impressions.

It arrived largely assembled except for the stand. It weighs a metric ton, so while I moved it and mounted it myself I’d highly recommend getting someone to help you. If you don’t have a mobile base you’re not going to be able to move this very easily.

I ran a few boards through it after resawing them on the band saw and it worked very well. It comes with 80 grit sandpaper installed, so it needs quite a bit of additional sanding afterwards to be ready to use. Replacing the sandpaper is about a 5-10 minute job assuming you have the new paper cut to the correct shape. I didn’t switch to the finer sandpaper and just put the 80 grit back on to see how it worked.

Here’s a little video of me running a piece through the sander. It was very cupped in the middle (free-handed it on the band saw as a test), which is why I had to run it through so many times:

Here's some before and after pictures of some of the pieces I ran through:

sander

Let me summarize some of the pros, cons, and warnings:

Pros -
Noise – Very quiet. You don’t even need any hearing protection when it’s running.
Dust collection – Excellent. Hardly any dust escapes the machine.
Speed control – Adjusts from 2-12 fpm, so you can vary depending on the wood type.
Plus, it just works well and does the job it’s supposed to.

Warnings –
The 1 1/2HP motor draws 15 amps, and they recommend a 20 amp circuit. It runs ok on my 15 amp circuit, but you can’t have anything else running on that circuit. A battery charger was enough to pop the breaker.

You have to make very small passes or you’ll bog the machine. They recommend only a quarter turn, but sometimes that was possibly too much. Definitely use your planer to get you in the ballpark or you’ll be there all day.

Cons -
Belt tracking – I fiddled with it all day and could not get it to stay in the middle of the rollers. It insisted on settling to the right side. It stays there so it’s not a real huge issue, but one you should be aware of.
Paper changes – Not too horrid but definitely time consuming if you want to go through a range of grits. If I was filthy rich I’d have several of these machines with all the grits I’d need. Not a problem specific to this machine though.

A great machine and I am pleased, but I can’t give it 5 stars since I had the belt tracking issues. To me 5 stars means a product is stellar, and while this machine is very good I just can’t say it’s 5 stars good. If I could, I’d have given it 4 1/2 stars though.

-- You're a unique and special person, just like everyone else.

View Greg Wurst's profile

Greg Wurst

111999 posts in 2163 days

good review

View Don K.'s profile

Don K.

1075 posts in 1912 days

Excellent review…thanks for posting. This is on my wish list and will be the next large tool I bu. Thanks again for the honest review !!!!

-- Don S.E. OK

23058 posts in 1947 days

Nice review.

View ND2ELK's profile

ND2ELK

Nice looking sander. Thanks for posting.

God Bless
tom

-- Mc Bridge Cabinets, Iowa

View Kindlingmaker's profile

Kindlingmaker

I too have one of these and will buy a different brand the next time. My belt also will not stay put and tracks to the right. There are no lock washers on any of the small screws on the inside and vibrations will loosen them. I had the top front sheild come off while sanding; make one heck of a sand paper shrapnel explosion. The lubracating is a pain in the bottom if you lube it as the manual says and if you don’t lube it it will start to scream at you. The return roller at the top is almost worthless even if you have someone else return your board for the next pass. The other thing with this machine is that that is no logical way of attaching extened infeed and outfeed tables to it since the tables go up and down and the head stays put. Drum sanders are great but this one could have been thought out a bit better.

-- Never board, always knotty, lots of growth rings

View poroskywood's profile

poroskywood

614 posts in 1950 days

I also just got one of these. Have you had any trouble with picking up burn lines? I have. They appear randomly, The tech at grizzly told me to spray the paper with PAM cooking spray. That seemed to help but makes a mess. Also he said to run through at the 12 setting (fastest). That also seemed to help, I think it gives the piece less time heaqt things up. I do however still pick up a burn line and it really bums me out because I have to change the paper once one appears. On narrow stock I can shoot the piece in between the burn streaks, but on a wide top it’s over with. This mostly happens on 150 grit and up. Any insights? I’m 75% happy on this one. I LOVE my Grizzly planer, jointer, Table Saw so….. 3 out of 4.

-- There's many a slip betwixt a cup and a lip.--Scott

View Greg Wurst's profile

Greg Wurst

I haven’t had it long enough to notice any burn lines developing on the sandpaper, but it’s something I will look-out for. I haven’t tried any of the finer grits I bought yet. Faster speeds would help mitigate it, but would reduce the sanding quality. I suspect making really shallow passes would help as well.

I’ll have to check on the screws in the machine to look for loosening during use. I can see how feed support could be an issue on long pieces. Adjusting a roller stand constantly would be a pain. For the uses I plan for this I don’t foresee many problem, but I’ll update this review as time goes-on.

-- You're a unique and special person, just like everyone else.

Thanks for the review, Greg. I have had a drum sander on my list for some time now and have been considering this one. The info that you provided was helpful.

View Kindlingmaker's profile

Kindlingmaker

When it comes to burning, I have mine set at the fastest speed and DO take shallow passes. If a burn appears I flip the board over and do the other side at the drum burn area using even shallower passes and that mostly removes the burn from the drum paper. I also keep working the wood at different feed spot, left to right and then start over again to keep hot spots from developing. Also with the drive belt on mine it is not completely flat in that the middle is lower than outsides but close. ...and yes this machine is contantly being adjusted and tentioned. It may sound like I am a bit negative about this Grizzly but it does work for what I do right now and I just wanted to let you know what I have found with mine.

-- Never board, always knotty, lots of growth rings

View matt garcia's profile

matt garcia

It operates very similarly to my Jet 16-32, including the power that it requires. I have to turn the lights off in my garage, and run an extension cord from the greenhouse to my vacuum when I run mine. I also have to run it when the sun is up!! Looks like you are getting very good results from it though!! I considered this model when I was looking at a drum sander. I eventually bought the Jet because of my employee discount, the locking casters, and the infeed/outfeed table extensions. I’m going to be using mine more now that I will be veneering!!

-- Matt Garcia Wannabe Period Furniture Maker, Houston TX

View brunob's profile

brunob

I have one and don’t know how I got along without it. Regarding burns: I check my belt every few passes. As soon as it darkens in one spot, I get out the belt dresser stick. That helps slow down the burn.

Also, once you’ve done a few belt sanding drum changes, you can get it down to a couple of minutes. I get my belt sandpaper in 50’ rolls from Klingspor.

-- Bruce from Central New York...now, if you'll pardon me, I have some sawdust to make.

View simonGee's profile

simonGee

nice review
thanks

-- Simon, Illinois

View Thumper's profile

Thumper

have one of these and so far it is a royal pain in the bottom. After finally (three days) getting the tracking squared away, I changed the 80 grit paper to 150 and managed to get three boards through before the 150 paper ate itself on a piece of walnut. Thought to myself that I must have screwed up the installation of the 150 and installed another roll of 150. The second 150 ate itself in about 30 seconds. Anybody know of a way to retrofit this for hook and loop. Figure that if I am going to keep having to change paper after another batch eats itself, would certainly be faster with hook and loop.

-- The major stress in retirement is choosing what t-shirt to wear

Good review!