Rigid R2400 Trim Router

Review by Wildwoods posted 09-30-2016 12:21 AM 2906 views 0 times favorited 29 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Rigid R2400 Trim Router No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I am rather peeved about this router and Rigid’s policy regarding standing behind their product. Okay, I didn’t immediately register the router after I bought it. If you register, they offer a lifetime warranty. If you don’t register it is three years. I didn’t register. Out of the box, it never worked right. I thought maybe I missed something and besides I had a Ryobi that has lasted me at least 15 years which I had as a back-up – I thought. I kind of forgot about it and it sat on the shelf. The problem is that it won’t hold a depth adjustment. I tried tightening the knob that secures the case to the router body, I tried using pliers to tighten it, I tried replacing the knob with a nut and washer. Nothing worked. The bit just migrated deeper into the wood. I guess I was hopeful that I could find some way to get it to work. Finally, well after the three year limit was up – I guess I didn’t read the fine print – I decided to call the company to see what they could do. Well, no register, three years are up, tough luck. Maybe I am spoiled but I have had similar situations with other vendors where they made exceptions. I thought surely that since day one this never worked, they could do something for me. I told them that after hearing their response both over the phone, and by email, I would never buy another Rigid tool again. Too bad. I have a Rigid vacuum cleaner that has stood the test of time and has been strong for a good fifteen years, but from a company that won’t stand behind their obviously defective products, I refuse to deal with them anymore. Further, it must have been a design flaw from the beginning as I see that their current version of this same router has a clamp type lock rather than the knob.

View trevor7428's profile

trevor7428

#1 posted 09-30-2016 12:34 AM

I have the Rigid Trim Router, i love it! I purchased it online, they had a special where it included the Trim Router plus a Rigid Sheet Sander for $100. It was a great deal!

Anyways im assuming you have the previous model then what i have because on mine, it is a clamp. Not a knob to secure the motor to the base.

I wonder if others have had your issue with the knob?

You dont have to but maybe think about changing the Title of this review to “Rigid R2400 Trim Router (Previous/ Older Model)” so someone doesnt think all Rigid Trim Routers are junk because thats not the case

#2 posted 09-30-2016 12:41 AM

Thanks for your response. I looked it up and I think the one you have is the R2401. I read the reviews before I bought mine and thought it would be a really good tool. I kept hoping there was something I overlooked somehow. It is a shame because now I have something that is basically a good tool but is absolutely worthless to me and I find it really annoying that Rigid will not do anything about it.

View kajunkraft's profile

kajunkraft

#3 posted 09-30-2016 01:51 AM

I got burned out on Rigid a few years ago because they were so finicky about the warranty. For a while they required the original sales receipt, cut the upc thing off the box, etc. Then when you had an issue you still had to go through a bunch of hoops to get anything. PITA.

Have Makita, Milwaukee, Porter Cable, DeWalt, Bosch and others that I like a lot. However, for cordless tools I have gone over to Ryobi mainly because the batteries are generally half the price of others and the tools are pretty inexpensive but perform as well as any. Been very happy with Ryobi and no registration is required for warranty. Come to find out, Milwaukee, Rigid & Ryobi are all under the same umbrella. They consider Milwaukee to be the top of the line and Ryobi to be the bottom.

I found out when the factory rep services my local Home Depot and when I have a warranty issue I go there on that day and this seems to be the best way to get good service. Dealing with the rep face to face gets a lot of good results. I’d bet that you could take your router in and he/she would hook you up with a free replacement.

#4 posted 09-30-2016 02:13 AM

I do not think their policy is bad 3 years but lifetime is you follow their rules
you did not follow their rules no reason to toss them under the bus for this

sorry you had trouble with the router but really harsh on the company for what seems like a lemon from the start that was not addressed when it should have been after you purchased it

#5 posted 09-30-2016 02:27 AM

Thank you Kajunkraft. That is a great idea. I will give it a try. Ryobi is surprisingly good. I bought some of their tools when I needed something right away but didn’t want buy some expensive duplicate. I also have tools from some of the same makers you mention.
Playingwithmywood. Maybe I am spoiled. Dealing with Amazon, Home Depot and others have excellent customer service. Why would the only difference between lifetime and three year be registration? I avoid companies that don’t stand by their products and especially if there were design flaws to begin with. I was interupted in my use of the router due to building my home and shop and circumstances prevented me from addressing this sooner. Shame on me.

View mandatory66's profile

mandatory66

202 posts in 2036 days

#6 posted 09-30-2016 04:40 AM

Seems like you procrastinated and ran out of warranty,your fault not Rigid. They were clear on the terms.

View Andre's profile

Andre

#7 posted 09-30-2016 05:01 AM

Bought one last year and love it! Do not use it a lot as I have a 18V Ryobi that is much handier for most jobs.

-- Lifting one end of the plank.

#8 posted 09-30-2016 05:18 AM

Playingwithmywood. Maybe I am spoiled. Dealing with Amazon, Home Depot and others have excellent customer service. Why would the only difference between lifetime and three year be registration? I avoid companies that don t stand by their products and especially if there were design flaws to begin with. I was interupted in my use of the router due to building my home and shop and circumstances prevented me from addressing this sooner. Shame on me.

- Wildwoods

Life Lesson – There is a real cost to doing business

who do you think pays for things when you return them ? A. ALL OF US – it is something real to keep in mind. when people take advantage of return policies it costs us all with higher prices

when manufacturers make something that is not built right they need to make it right I get that but if you buy something and it is broken or breaks and you have the skills to fix it then you should just fix and not return it and yes I know sometimes the better thing to do is return it to make a better point so companies cannot get away with sub par standards. I think this is why tear down videos are so popular on you-tube cause we want to find quality we can trust ahead of time

other times customers have money and buy things that are out of their skill level and then blame the manufacture when they do not get the results that the life long craftsman or skill worker does. It is like staying at the cheapest hotel you can find and then complaining that it was not the four seasons

In your case you might have gotten a lemon but instead of making lemonade you tossed the lemon away and then bashed the company costing them real money in others reading your review and raising tool prices for the rest of us

you did not make your case for us to feel sorry for you or try to help you solve your problem. There are too many half truths and misleading things on the internet and so it is everyone’s burden to try to keep things as real and honest here so others do not get off track when they are trying to learn

View REL's profile

REL

#9 posted 09-30-2016 05:28 AM

Wildwoods, there was something odd about this post that made me curious to look you up.

You made two complaints in six mos. both involving a Ridgid tool. Only one complaint about the manufacturer, the other about E replacement parts.

In both cases you admit your fault in causing the problems. (Through Ridgid’s policy about registering or lose the lifetime warranty is dumb.)

I really don’t understand your logic. One thought, if you perform due diligence in reading instructions and diagrams you would not have to problems you reported.

And then maybe the rest of us would be buying goods at a lower price

By the way how can you run a kitchen rehab business with a defective trim router from the start?

-- REL, North Jersey

#10 posted 09-30-2016 05:29 AM

Playingwithmywood
Get a grip.

#11 posted 09-30-2016 05:34 AM

Playingwithmywood
Get a grip.

- Wildwoods

you write a misleading review and tell me to get a grip – priceless

#12 posted 09-30-2016 05:37 AM

In both cases you admit your fault in causing the problems. (Through Ridgid s policy about registering or lose the lifetime warranty is dumb.)

I really don t understand your logic. One thought, if you perform due diligence in reading instructions and diagrams you would not have to problems you reported.

And then maybe the rest of us would be buying goods at a lower price

- REL

next he will be telling you to get a grip after such a logical response

View 01ntrain's profile

01ntrain

#13 posted 09-30-2016 06:49 AM

C’mon guys….really? Do you think that one guy not doing his due diligence is costing us money? Yeah, perhaps in the fractions of a penny. These companies price their products based upon the competition….so I really doubt if Ridgid is the price-setter of that product. Bosch, maybe….but, who knows?

OTOH, I see a lot of people on this site that will send back a product at the slightest of slights. I get it….yeah, you buy a product and it should work right out of the box, but that’s an arbitrary statement…..we’re woodworkers…..people who create things from cut down trees(which are living and breathing even after they are cut, kiln-dried, and sold to you off a shelf). If you can’t adjust things, adapt and overcome….then perhaps you should take up golf?

View CharlesA's profile

CharlesA

#14 posted 09-30-2016 11:49 AM

I think I’d be more sympathetic if the router had performed well for 3 years and 1 day, had died then, and Ridgid had refused to do anything. The fact that it didn’t work well out of the box, but you waited for over 3 years to do anything about it seems to put much of the responsibility on the user.

Isn’t three years a pretty good warranty compared to most?

View Desert_Woodworker's profile

Desert_Woodworker

#15 posted 09-30-2016 12:11 PM

Putting the above comments aside; this review is about a “router” that does not work properly. I offer my many years of experience to those in a similar situation- If “duct tape” and “super glue” can’t fix it, then throw it away and buy a $500 dollar Festool trim router.

-- Desert_Woodworker