Rockler Bench Cookies - Worth the Money

Review by Greg Wurst posted 1811 days ago 4770 views 0 times favorited 14 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Rockler Bench Cookies - Worth the Money Rockler Bench Cookies - Worth the Money Rockler Bench Cookies - Worth the Money Click the pictures to enlarge them

I see I’ve been beaten to the punch on the review, but I’ll go ahead and add my 2 cents worth here. I was at Rockler this weekend and noticed they had these in stock; so I forked-over my $12 and bought a set.

As you probably know by now, these are plastic pucks with what is essentially router pad material on both sides. They grip tenaciously, and with any moderate downward pressure will hold your workpiece in place.

For any large panel or heavy object these worked great. However, I'd only give them 4 1/2 stars if I could since they did not work well for light panels while using my random orbit sander. Without sufficient weight everything bounced around; and you had to hold the piece down on one side to keep it in place. In these situations, I'd stick to a router pad to hold the pieces in place.

I'll probably pick-up another set next time I go to Rockler. Well worth the $12, and an actual innovative idea.

-- You're a unique and special person, just like everyone else.

View Greg Wurst's profile

Greg Wurst

View John Gray's profile

John Gray

Nice review. I have a set of these and like them. I think in the 2nd video if you had brushed or vacuumed the saw dust off the bench 1st they would have worked alot better at least they do for me.

-- Only the Shadow knows....................

111999 posts in 2162 days

good review

View tomd's profile

tomd

Thanks for the review, bench cookies, I think you just made me hungry.

-- Tom D

John is exactly right – just bang the cookies on the bench to knock the dust off, give your bench a quick sweep or vacuum, and you’re good to go! Thanks for the review!

-- Create with Confidence

View John Gray's profile

John Gray

tomd – Tom you’d think that at least they’d make a version with chocolate chips. ;-)

-- Only the Shadow knows....................

View hermance's profile

hermance

22 posts in 1940 days

great review Greg – it’s nice to see these in action…

Glad you’re enjoying them

-- Hermance Machine Company, www.Hermance.com

View Mike Gager's profile

Mike Gager

could you just glue some router pad material (kitchen drawer liner) to both sides of some scrap MDF and get the same effect? sorry i am that much of a cheapskate, just ask my wife :)

View Greg Wurst's profile

Greg Wurst

They’re a bit more cushiony (if that’s a word) that a router pad. Probably about as thick as 4 of the thinner pads on each side.

-- You're a unique and special person, just like everyone else.

View handi's profile

handi

Mike, you could make your own, but for $12.00 why bother?

Ralph

-- www.consultingwoodworker.com

View Mike Gager's profile

Mike Gager

hey in this day and economy, $12 is $12!

View PineInTheAsh's profile

PineInTheAsh

With reviews from member Greg Wurst: ”...these are plastic pucks with what is
essentially router pad material …”

And from member Handi: “They act like a routing mat…”

Why not simply use router mats?

Or save money and get better performance from the gummiest kitchen drawer liners?

We found “rubberized” trivets in a Dollar store whose holding power was unmatched.

View degoose's profile

degoose

6958 posts in 1940 days

That’s real good for you guys that live near a Rockler Store but they want to charge 50 bucks to ship to Australia on top of the very reasonable US$11.99Photobucket
So I made some for myself… Priceless.

-- Drink twice... and don't bother to cut... @ lazylarrywoodworks.com.au For lovers of all things timber...

View hasbeen99's profile

hasbeen99

For what it’s worth, I also discovered recently that in a pinch, Rockler’s bench cookies make fairly decent push pads. Not something I’d recommend over real push pads, but if it’s a choice between bench cookies and bare hands, the cookies work!

-- "The only thing that counts is faith, expressing itself in love." --Galatians 5:6

View johnnymo's profile

johnnymo

Hey Greg,
Good review. I went out and bought some and they work great! Just keep the pads and the work bench clean and you shouldn’t have the problem with your work piece bouncing around.
Hey degoose,
Love your version of the bench cookie. Way to go!

-- John in Arizona (but it's a dry heat!)