Milwaukee 2897-22 Drill and Impact Driver Kit

Review by PPK posted 09-23-2016 02:31 PM 3047 views 0 times favorited 4 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Milwaukee 2897-22 Drill and Impact Driver Kit Milwaukee 2897-22 Drill and Impact Driver Kit No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I didn’t see any reviews on the recent Milwaukee line of FUEL drills/impacts/tools on LJ’s yet, so here’s my contribution.

I recently bought the drill/impact driver kit. It’s the M18 kit with the items shown in the stock photo above. The batteries are 5.0 amp hour and last a LLLOOOOONNNNGGG time. I couldn’t get one to heat up either when using it hard, so that’s a good sign.

The drill: Not much heavier than my 14.4 volt makita. Has more RPM’s, and is very compact. Trigger control is good, I didn’t experience any “chuck wobble” like some (perhaps overly picky) people have mentioned about the new Milwaukee drills. The brushless motor is awesome. No sparks spitting all over the place. The thing has TONS of power. The additional handle that come with it (detachable) is awesome too. I can see using this when one is afraid of torquing off your wrist when using a holesaw or something that likes to catch. Hammer drill feature: Haven’t tried it. I suspect it’s crap like all non-true hammer drills. I have a dedicated rotor hammer that actually drills concrete :-)

The impact driver: The 4 speed/torque settings are pretty nice. I was skeptical at first, but like them now. At full power, the thing will bury a 3” screw really fast. It is also super compact. That’s a plus, since I often grab my impact for getting into tight places. The work lights on both drills are nice too. They stay on for a while after you let go of the trigger. A good feature. Both tools feel good in the hand.

The charger & batteries: The charger will charge both the smaller 12 volt batteries (I don’t own any of these… yet) and the 18 volt batteries. That’s a great feature. I believe it can charge both simultaneously, since there are two separate ports. One thing i noticed right away is the big charge indicator lights. This is very nice, since you can tell from a distance if the batt. is charged yet. Good engineering! The battery also shows how much charged it is with the 4 little LED’s while its charging. And that leads me to the batteries: They have the sweet charge indicator, which is really quite handy. They last forever!! They are kind of rubberized on the bottom, so they don’t mar stuff. They are pretty big though. I did order an aftermarket 2.0 amp-hour battery to see how it compares. It should make the tool a bit smaller/lighter when I’m working on Cabinets and “lighter duty projects.”

Price: Seems pretty good. I bypassed the “free battery” offer and opted for $100 off the purchase price. (I’ve had good luck with $25 aftermarket batteries) It ended up totalling $250 before tax. Unless this thing poops out, I would definitely recommend to a friend. Even if it poops out, I think I would. It has a great warranty – 5 years on the tool and 3 years on the battery.

-- Pete

View PPK's profile

PPK

View Desert_Woodworker's profile

Desert_Woodworker

#1 posted 09-23-2016 06:12 PM

Good review. (I have the same set and agree)

-- Desert_Woodworker

View ScottKaye's profile

ScottKaye

#2 posted 09-25-2016 06:58 PM

and you have been registered as a spammer!

This machine is very good, I like it very much, post a free ad on site.

- ngina5675

-- "Nothing happens until you build it"

View PPK's profile

PPK

#3 posted 09-26-2016 04:45 PM

OK, I have one beef with the tool. It’s not even the tool. It’s the case. There is NO room for an extra battery, a pack of bits, or anything like that. Everything fits in there like a glove, and leaves no space for anything except maybe a few loose driver bits shaking around by the charger. I’ll cope ;-)

^And thanks ScottKaye, hate it when I get spammed. Its happened about 4 times already to me on LJ’s…

-- Pete

View Desert_Woodworker's profile

Desert_Woodworker

#4 posted 09-27-2016 02:05 AM

Hey guys I reported this as Spam almost immediately, yet it remained there for a couple of days. Gentlemen take a look at Scott’s quote- the link to this spam site is still active. I just went on that link but it wouldn’t connect me to “women seeking men” or ….. So it must be a Spam site!
As for tool case “cramping” even my Festool is a tight fight

-- Desert_Woodworker