Ultimate lunchbox

Review by Joshh posted 09-22-2016 08:08 PM 3788 views 0 times favorited 2 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Ultimate lunchbox No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

After spending the whole weekend planing some 2×4s and trying to find my way from under a mountain of shavings I finally decided on a power planer. I got a refurbished one but would be probably better off buying new for the piece of mind that the one was not too abused.
See how the table is not in pristine shape out of the box.

With the planer I did more in half an hour than I could do with hand planes in two days. It works exceptionally well on changing grain near knots where no matter what you get tearout with a hand plane. Just do not feed too much at once.
The boards I used were cheap ones with a lot of quarter size and larger black, rock hard knots, some of the knots exploded when being planed, however the blades stay sharp with no nicks. I have read many complains about the blades, maybe DeWalt addressed the issue ?
Now about snipe: This plane does not have snipe. Period ! If you let a long board hang freely you will get a step at the end, however it is not a real snipe, it is bad technique. Real snipe happens when the planning head is not rigid enough and moves when the wood leaves one roller. This planer has zero of that.
I supported my 8’ 2×4s with my hand on exit and see no snipe whatsoever. No extension tables yet.
Initial setup for the board is straight for short boards, you just lower the cutter head onto the wood and back out a bit. With longer boards it is not that easy if you do not have extra support as the board enter the planer at an angle.
Other often mentioned issues about this planer are unbearable noise and unliftable weight.
it is about 40 kg. Any healthy average able male should have no problem moving it around the shop all day. Many job hazard documents allow for handling 50kg 8 hours straight.

About the noise it is as loud as my oscillating tool when cutting a large sheet of 3/4” plywood. Most of the noise seems to be coming from the chip ejector fan. Not silent but I expected more.

After half an hour planing I had about a hundred small chips laying around the planer on the infeed side. The rest was successfully sucked away by the plane chip ejector + 2HP harbor freight dust collector. Very little if anything of finer dust. It is easily the cleanest power tool in my shop, even electric drill makes more mess. Oh the dust collector bag was almost full after this job.

The attention to details in the design is amazing ! I would put it on par with my Sawstop, you do not think of it, it just works. Overall the unit feels very solid, without those squeaky ill matching plastic parts if you know what I mean.

I am very pleased with it so far. Had some buyer’s remorse but it all vanished away after planning the very first board.
Will see how it behaves in the long term.

View Joshh's profile

Joshh

#1 posted 09-23-2016 03:10 PM

I have the 735 as well, and like you, I suspected the chip ejection fan was responsible for much of the noise. So I removed it as a test, and it made no discernible difference in the sound.

Since then, I have upgraded to a Shelix helical cutterhead, and the volume and quality of the noise is much better now. Overall it is a surprisingly robust planer for a portable. Get the extension tables too, they really help.

View Davevand's profile

Davevand

#2 posted 09-30-2016 03:31 PM

Also might want to be sure your DC can keep up with the sawdust and chips. My old cheap DC could not keep up with the planer and there was always dust and chips inside.