WR365 - Makes woodworking more fun

Review by Woodknack posted 09-20-2016 02:13 AM 3338 views 2 times favorited 21 comments Add to Favorites Watch
WR365 - Makes woodworking more fun WR365 - Makes woodworking more fun No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I hate the phrase, “game changer,” but honestly it fits this product. I’ve always dreaded changing angles on my saws because getting them to any specific angle can be fiddly. But getting perfect angles with the Wixey is a breeze. My daughter wanted to build a cube with all edges mitered, so each corner was 3 compound miters meeting at a point. In the past I would have said no way because if your angles are off even a hair, it will show in the final product. But we had no trouble at all using the Wixey. I love this thing. The ONLY complaint is that it doesn’t have a light. There is another model with a backlight but I chose this one because it’s rated to a higher accuracy. But it really needs that light because black numbers on a gray background are tough to read if you don’t have light shining right on it. Falls into the category of, “I wish I had bought one sooner.”

View Joshh's profile

Joshh

#1 posted 09-20-2016 06:59 PM

Did anyone try to compare it with a cellphone that has similar feature.
I admit that it is far less convenient to use but for me an angle different from 30 and 45 happens once in a blue moon so no big deal. for standard angles a regular drafter’s triangle does the job better than anything out there.

View DrDirt's profile

DrDirt

#2 posted 09-20-2016 07:51 PM

Did anyone try to compare it with a cellphone that has similar feature.
I admit that it is far less convenient to use but for me an angle different from 30 and 45 happens once in a blue moon so no big deal. for standard angles a regular drafter s triangle does the job better than anything out there.

- JoséMário

The magnet helps hold it in place (not on a phone)
But also you want the compact foot print so you can measure the angle of the blade without the device sitting on one of teh carbide teeth.
finally – you have to be careful to hold the phone 90 degrees to the blade or you will measure a weird “compound” angle that is your blade tilt+phone tilt – - – while you adjust the saw angle with your “free hand”

So sure you can do it but it is pretty cumbersome.

-- “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.” Mark Twain

View Richard's profile

Richard

1922 posts in 2888 days

#3 posted 09-20-2016 08:23 PM

I have one of these and also love it , the angle gage on my old Rockwell TS is not very accurate but this thing sure is.

#4 posted 09-21-2016 02:53 AM

...a regular drafter s triangle does the job better than anything out there.

- JoséMário

Not better than this, I’ve tried both, Wixey is better.

#5 posted 09-22-2016 12:27 AM

I have the earlier model, you are right they are very good for setting angles, nver had an issue. You will find all kinds of uses for it. Have a great time

-- Norman - I never never make a mistake, I just change the design.

View Grumpymike's profile

Grumpymike

#6 posted 09-22-2016 08:29 PM

I’ve been using the Wixley (old style) for several years now, and have depleted four batteries over the years, ‘cause I use it alot, from setting the blade, to setting the miter gauge to a perfect 90°.

Also use it at the band saw for table angles and setting the table to blade to that perfect 90°, and the same at the drill press.

As for the drafting triangle doing a better job … Well I’ve never seen in my 70+ years a drafters triangle that is a perfect 22.5° (as in the flag boxes or circle segments) Always had to use a protractor that may or may not be accurate. (the pencil line is 2°wide).

I agree with your statement Rick … It’s a game changer.

-- Grumpy old guy, and lookin' good Doin' it. ... Surprise Az.

View Pointer's profile

Pointer

#7 posted 09-25-2016 03:07 PM

I don’t have one of these, but after reading some of the posts here, perhaps I should consider one. I always wondered just how accurate they really are.

-- Joe - - There is no elevator to success. You must take the stairs.

View DrDirt's profile

DrDirt

#8 posted 09-26-2016 08:44 PM

...a regular drafter s triangle does the job better than anything out there.

- JoséMário

Show me how to set a 15 degree tilt (to make strips of dovetail splines) with a drafting triangle

View jimmy J's profile

jimmy J

#9 posted 09-27-2016 04:44 PM

agree, its awesome, and cheap.

View Dick_Cheney's profile

Dick_Cheney

#10 posted 10-02-2016 08:19 PM

I ve been using the Wixley (old style) for several years now, and have depleted four batteries over the years, cause I use it alot, from setting the blade, to setting the miter gauge to a perfect 90°.

As for the drafting triangle doing a better job … Well I ve never seen in my 70+ years a drafters triangle that is a perfect 22.5° (as in the flag boxes or circle segments) Always had to use a protractor that may or may not be accurate. (the pencil line is 2°wide).

I agree with your statement Rick … It s a game changer.

- Grumpymike

How do you set a perfect 90 degrees with a tool that has +- 0.1 degrees accuracy ? For the miter gauge 0.1 degrees off means 0.035 ” on a 20” piece.

#11 posted 10-02-2016 11:00 PM

For the miter gauge 0.1 degrees off means 0.035 ” on a 20” piece.
- Dick_Cheney

The depth of cut is approximately 3-1/8” at 90° and decreases as you angle the blade. So a potential error of about 0.005” at 90° (hopefully my math is right). Not insignificant but within the potential error of aligning it by eye. But in practice I have found it to be extremely accurate. I’ve been aligning the blade with a triangle for over 15 years on this saw so it’s not theory on my part, the Wixey is far superior.

I helped my daughter build this cube thing and all the corners are mitered on 3 sides so any error shows but using the Wixey it came out perfect.

I thought I uploaded this as a project but I guess not.

View Grumpymike's profile

Grumpymike

#12 posted 10-03-2016 01:13 AM

Hey Dick Cheney, I think you are just lookin’ for something to bellyache about …The Wixley I have is dead on, and using the cut and flip method like my grandfather used to check for a perfect 90° or 45° it is what the read out says on my Wixley.

If your cut is off .035 in 20 inches, so what? That is 1/32 of an inch and I find that very tolerable for most work. We ‘ain’t’ going to the moon here, We are building keepsake boxes. I sand that much before finishing.

I think that you should not buy one of these $29.00 inaccurate tools for your shop, instead look into the Atlanta Scientific Inclinometer, they are accurate to .0001 and they are on sale now for $3,200.00.

-- Grumpy old guy, and lookin' good Doin' it. ... Surprise Az.

View MadMark's profile

MadMark

#13 posted 10-03-2016 01:25 AM

Had a cust order 16, 16.7° bevelled strips (for what, I have no idea!). No other way to even get close.

I have the angle gauge, planer gauge, height indicator, & 8” caliper. Combined cost of only $200 or so. Great investment in quality, accuracy, and repeatability for any shop. The prices have dropped like a stone over the past few years.

M

-- Madmark - Madmark2150@yahoo.com Wiretreefarm.com

#14 posted 10-03-2016 01:52 AM

Beall used to sell a gravity inclinometer for tablesaws. I read they were kind of a pain but highly accurate.

View Dick_Cheney's profile

Dick_Cheney

#15 posted 10-03-2016 05:07 PM

For the miter gauge 0.1 degrees off means 0.035 ” on a 20” piece.
- Dick_Cheney

- Rick M.

And what does depth of cut have to do with a miter gauge ?