A great source of exotic woods

Review by reggiek posted 07-24-2009 11:41 PM 3394 views 3 times favorited 14 comments Add to Favorites Watch
A great source of exotic woods A great source of exotic woods A great source of exotic woods Click the pictures to enlarge them

I had the pleasure of finding a wonderful source of exotic woods for projects and turnings. Searching through the internet search engines, I came accross a posting for a small company located about 20 or so miles away from my home. They listed some very nice items….and had pictures which I could view and select. I went through their postings and found numerous one of a kind pieces. I selected only a few of the ones I wanted and purchased with an indication that I would pick them up. I called their shop only a short time later and spoke to Belinda (she and her husband Lance own the company). She asked if I wanted to pick up my order at a place even nearer to my home and I agreed – They are currently preparing a new shop/wherehouse that is only a few minutes from my shop/home. When I picked up my order (I apologize for my lousy photography -those pictures don’t come close to showing the beautiful grains) I had a wonderful conversation with Lance and Belinda. They are extremely kind and willing to share their excellent knowledge about their stock of beautiful woods. Their wood is purchased from the local peoples who gather from trees already felled. The locals get money for their needs….and we get beautiful woods to use on our projects (without the destructive clear cutting/deforestation caused by our commercial lumber suppliers – who don’t care where they get their materials) . I was invited into their wherehouse and saw some of the most beautiful collections of materials I’ve ever seen in one venue….I was the proverbial kid in a candy store…

Their prices are excellent and the quality is superb – one of a kind. I would give them twice the 5 stars if I could (and my only compensation is to keep them providing such an excellent source of beautiful material – I really enjoy seeing small business become successes…and this one deserves it!)

If you need some exotic woods for turning or other projects I would recommend you check out their page and then give them a call. The web page has great items…but not close to all they have available…you also get the benefit of their extensive knowledge if you call….I guarantee you will enjoy the experience! I know that I will be enjoying a lot more time in my shop working with some of their one of a kind woods.

I’ll be posting some projects with some of their woods as soon as my new lathe gets here on the 29th.

www.forgottenwoods.net Lance and Bellinda Peck (805) 995-1940

View HokieMojo's profile

HokieMojo

#1 posted 07-25-2009 03:42 AM

Just to be clear, I think there are instances where clear-cutting is the more responsible solution. Certainly not always, but sometimes. I love the website. I wish it was on the other coast.

#2 posted 07-25-2009 03:51 AM

Nice review. I’m glad that trashed tree are coming to life again.

#3 posted 07-25-2009 03:53 AM

I enjoyed your review but could not find there web site that was listed

View araldite's profile

araldite

187 posts in 2094 days

#4 posted 07-25-2009 05:37 AM

Try again. I just went there and bought a few turning blanks. Great prices on rare wood but things are selling out fast. I was about to order something and a “sold out” sign came up in place of the order button.

#5 posted 07-25-2009 05:40 AM

Jim here is a link:

“forgottenwoods, llc”: http://forgottenwoods.net

Mojo: I think that clear cutting in the rainforest is probably an overused option. In farm or artificial forests and for certain types of trees that grow quickly I agree….but isn’t it nice to find a place that helps us make use of wood that would otherwise be wasted. They do ship – depending on weights and sizes would determine the pricing….I would call them and discuss options…

If they are out of things on the web site I would call them as their wherehouse has a lot of stock…it is hard to keep a website stocked up as the stuff sells fast….

SoCal – I am located near San Luis Obispo and I don’t have any connection to Forgotten Woods except as a Customer…..the shop the wood folks are in now is in Cayucos…on the coast just north of Morro Bay….they have a wherehouse in Atascadero….a small city just north of San Luis Obispo….Their wherehouse has a lot of space (almost filled to the brim with bins and stacks of beautiful woods). If you called them I’m sure they could answer your questions.

They are very accomodating. very knowledgable and are also very dedicated. I was quite impressed, as shown by my review, and am very pleased to add another fine source of materials to my arsenal…I expect to be back there quite a bit to renew my stock.

Oh and I believe their hours are Mon – Wed 11:00 – 3:00pm Thur – Sat 11-5 or 6…or they probably would arrange something other if you wanted to stop by…

#6 posted 07-25-2009 05:48 AM

Thanks Reg

#7 posted 07-25-2009 06:17 AM

SoCal…sheesh what an dummy I am….I reread your question…and now I think I get it…..They don’t ship from offshore to you…their stuff is already in the USA and has been treated/inspected so there is no problems with customs…and chain of custody….The product is shipped by domestic carrier to you…which means you get your order in 3 to 5 days if you have it shipped ground…sorry about the “senior moment.”

If they run out of something on the web page….call them…use the pictures as reference to what you like…You can also ask for custom sizes…..I don’t think the web page can support a full catalog…

View dustbunny's profile

dustbunny

1149 posts in 1986 days

#8 posted 07-25-2009 01:02 PM

These folks also have an E-Bay store. If I remember correctly I purchased some bowl blanks from them and was pleased with the price, shipping and the blanks.

Thanks for the review, it makes me feel more comfortable purchasing online, knowing a bit about who is selling.

Lisa

-- Imagination rules the world. ~ Napoleon Bonaparte ~ http://quiltedwood.com

View Moron's profile

Moron

#9 posted 07-25-2009 01:33 PM

I am always “suspect” of claims made about “preserving” forests as it is easy to talk the walk.

having personally witnessed the effects of “clear cutting” both in Central America and North Americas rain forests it is without doubt a shocking, down right depressing arial view nearing almost nuclear destruction.

For this reason alone, I quit buying tropical/exotic woods despite knowing that people will stop cutting down forests only when the last tree is gone.

-- "Good artists borrow, great artists steal”…..Picasso

View HokieMojo's profile

HokieMojo

#10 posted 07-25-2009 09:21 PM

sorry. i should have clarrified that it is virtually never a good choice to clearcut rainforests.

#11 posted 07-26-2009 12:05 AM

Roman, you might want to call them up and have a chat…they lived in the rain forested area and this was how they came up with the concept. They were very dedicated when I spoke to them…dedicated but not funatical…

I agree that we see alot of “green ambition” but without teeth…I am not a funatic environmentalist…but I am a firm believer that we need to prioritize the needs of our environment before we tear into it…certainly a lot more consideration is needed for our home planet…even to the detriment of earning a “profit.”

Hokie, I didn’t think you meant to clear cut rainforests…I don’t think anyone, unless they have a deathwish, would advocate that…

Anyway, I am headed out to the shop to start cutting staves for my next turning (from that beautiful wood I purchased from Forgottenwoods). My new lathe is due on Wednesday, July 29th….and I also need to clear out a spot for it….I am hoping to have several blanks made and ready to turn when it shows up….I will do a review on the new lathe…and put up some projects from the bowls….as I complete them

View kalynzoo's profile

kalynzoo

#12 posted 07-26-2009 02:59 AM

Thank you for the information, We will be heading up to Carmel area next month, and I added this as a stop. Good Wood is so hard to find.

-- Gary Kalyn, Kalynzoo Productions

#13 posted 07-26-2009 05:17 AM

They are in a nice spot on the way up north (about 1/2 way between Santa Barbara and Monterey)...Call them before you head up this way…that way you can be sure to get a tour…The web page doesn’t do justice to all the nice stuff I saw in their wherehouse….

I hope you have lots of room….They have some very nice stuff..

View sidearm1's profile

sidearm1

7 posts in 1920 days

#14 posted 07-26-2009 10:13 PM

Very cool site. That stump on the front page is awesome.

Good lookin out Regiek