Grizzly G0691 Table Saw

Review by stitchop posted 1830 days ago 10787 views 4 times favorited 30 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Grizzly G0691 Table Saw No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I have assembled my new G0691 Grizzly table saw, and made a few cuts, and will post my first impressions.
I purchased this saw as soon as Grizzly put free shipping on it. This saw is replacing a 11 year old Craftsman contractor saw, and I expect it to be the last table saw I ever buy. ....

Unpacking and assembly of the saw was a simple matter of following simple instuctions. All the parts were present and easily identified.
The assembly starts with removing a brace from the tunnions. This gave me a chance to see the very large, heavy, stable trunnions. The trunnions are mounted to the sides of the cabinet. I was pleasently pleased to see that there is an adjustment mechinism built into the mouting tabs of the trunnions. This makes precision set up much easier. This is a great feature not mentioned in the description of the saw. Did I mention the Large, Rock Solid trunnions?
Next the tilt wheel is mounted and set screwed to its shaft with a key. The hand wheels are nice, large, heavy, cast with smooth chrome plating and paint finish. The locking knob on each wheel is heavy cast and chrome plated like the wheel and lock the wheel solidly without straining. This is a nice step up from small, weak plastic unlocking ones I have used for 11 years. After mounting the tilt wheel, I put the hand wheels through their range of motion. WOW! SMOOTH! The trunnions raise, lower and tilt with ease, smoothly, with just enough resistance to keep them from getting away from you. At the limits of the movement (tilt and heighth), it stops dead with precision, you do not have to worry about forcing the trunnions past the limit. With my contractor saw, I always had to make sure I did was careful with this because there was enough give to over travel the limits. I was greatly pleased, as these are very important features that make a table saw a pleasure to use.
The table extensions were simple to mount and level. The right side went on flat and straight. The left side required a single piece of tape as a shim to raise the left edge level with the table. The extensions have the same smooth flat surface as the main table. Like the catalog says, “Pecision ground cast iron table.” I feel this saw has as good a table available, even compared to the most expensive saws.
The Front rail is heavy steel angle which bolts to the table and a heavy square steel tubing, staight and strong is bolted to the angle. My complaint here is that the square rail is bolted to the angle with smaller srews which are easily stripped. Be careful to not over tighted these, or do what I will do, drill out and tap for 5/16 bolts. The rear rail is heavy steel J shaped channel, which is very stong. The rails are over all, a very strong straight part of the saw, keeping with the heavy duty theme of the saw.
Now we get to the long extension table. It may be that mine is not typical, but this table is not flat at all. Front to back there is a 3/16 inch dip in the middle, with no way to level it, as the table bolts only to rails and not the table. A person could fix up a way to level the extension and hold it level pretty easily. I was disappointed with this table because Grizzly plainly says that the table features “square steel tubing frame”, but actually has a thin weak stamped angle frame.
Then the fence, this is a awesome fence. After adjusting the fence dead square and level with the table, it stays that way. A very nice feature on this fence is the way it wraps around the front of the rails. The idea is to adjust this in a way that holds the fence square when unlocked, but loose enough to move the fence easily. It works as designed, and the fence moves smoothly from the left side of the blade all the way to 50 inches to the right of the blade, staying square to the blade. Very nice fence, well built, heavy and straight. I am Very pleased with the fence.
I put a plug on the cord and mounted a blade, plugged it up and turned it on. NICE! No vibrations, just a whir of the blade. 2 inch cherry, crosscut like butter, not burning. I ripped some oak, and could not bog down the saw.
I can tell I am going to love this saw. I would buy it again, and would recommend the Grizzly G0691 to anybody who wants a heavy duty, precision table saw at a great price from a great company. The only disappointment I have is with the large extension table, which with a little work will not be an issue.

I drove to the UPS Freight terminal in Memphis TN to pick up my new saw. If you ever use UPS, or if you plan to, DO NOT GO TO A TERMINAL!!!! You will never trust your packages to UPS again If you ever see the Insane way they load their trucks. I stood in the terminal waiting for my package and watched the forklifts. The drivers were literally using the pallets of frieght as a bumper, and if anything fell off, they would pick the fallen box off the floor and THROW it into the truck after they loaded what was left of the pallet. They would Push fallen cartons or pakages into the trailer with the forks. I watched a driver hit a rail with a well stacked and stable pallet of boxes that was stretch wrapped, ripping the wrap and causing the boxes to start falling off, the rest of the boxes stayed on the pallet just long enough to load into a trailer and then I could hear them hitting the trailer floor; never fear, the next pallet was used to push everthing further into the trailer.
Very rarely did a load come by without yellow guard rail paint, gashes at the level of the guard rails, ragged holes from the forks, TIRE marks, boxes falling off. Like I said, it was Insane.
I was there for over thirty minutes, and for the first twenty minutes, there was some guy on the intercom saying, “your break is over, get back in here!” It took at least 10 minutes of him saying that before anybody got back to work, and 20 before everybody got back.

View stitchop's profile

stitchop

PurpLev

congratulations! looks like Grizzly put out another great machine.

the UPS story really bothers me though… I wonder if it’s that terminal only, or if it’s part of their training…lol

stitchop,
Congrats on the new saw….I have this one in a G0690…and absolutely LOVE it…glad to hear I am not the only one….and I agree it is a POWER HOUSE !!! One word of advice….that machined top..will rust like crazy it is so smooth….if you have not done it yet, put some wax on it.

One question…why the 4 stars instead of 5…was it because of the extension top ?

PurpLev,
Before my son left for the military….he worked part time at a UPS while in collage. He told me story’s about what went on in his terminal that would make your hair stand on end.

Alonso

Congratulations, it seems to be a very nice saw, I was thinking on getting something similar but the fact the Don K. mentioned about rust hold me on that, that’s a plus I got on my Granite Ridgid R4511. Anyways congrats

Alonso,
Don’t get me wrong…this is a GREAT saw…that I would recomend to anyone and would buy again in a heart beat. I just live in a very huimid area…and this saw has a amazingly smooth top and wings. But it is not “Stainless”...and will rust.

Alonso

Ohh no I didn’t took it wrong I know what you meant, I know Grizzly makes some really nice tools, and in fact I was going to get this saw or this one G1023SLX but I do really hate having rust on my tools, that is why I rather bought with the Granite one.

View Monkeyboy1's profile

Monkeyboy1

I would contact someone over the terminal thing , I can promise you this not the way things are handled in the Lexington Ky terminal. These people are fanatic about the way trucks are loaded and the frieght is handled. But help UPS improve report this to customer service . P.S. I just got the 0691 to all I can say is …........SWEET and I upgraded from a craftsman tablesaw , Like day and night

-- MonkeyBoy1 Lex Ky

PurpLev

Don. go for it, as it may, I’m starting to lose my hair on my hands, so it wouldn’t be much of a problem ;)

(ok… sorry for the hijack… just couldn’t resist).

I would go myself for the 30” version of this saw for cost/power, but like Alonso mentioned, and like Don – I live in a high humidity area, and really like the fact that I don’t need to worry about this surface. that, plus the fact that I cannot set 220v currently… but it sure looks like grizzly had their head on straight when making this one. nice to see that they are also introducing a euro-style machine that will come out sometime next year.

Monkeyboy1,
You need to do a review over yours also. And thanks for the heads up on UPS…..the one my son worked at was a local one…I am sure that not all are like this. But I do have to say…ours is rather famous for dinged packages. I got a shipment of casters in a few weeks ago….and the square box was actually ROUND when it was left on my porch, lol. How long have you had your saw now ??

View Brad_Nailor's profile

Brad_Nailor

There is FREE shipping on that saw? Was this a while back or recently? just the 52” fence version?
Great review by the way…If theres free shipping on that saw right now I might have to pull the trigger on it and then just let it sit in its crate till I can put it together…
This saw has been reviewed quite a few times on LJ, and it always gets great things said about it….the longer I wait the more confidant I am that it’s the saw for me!

-- http://www.facebook.com/pages/DSO-Designs/297237806954248

Alonso

Yes Free shipping (according to the site)

View Brad_Nailor's profile

Brad_Nailor

Just checked the Grizzly website…free shipping on the GO691..not the 90…so I can get the 50” fence and it would be $100 cheaper than the 30” fence with shipping…but I don’t have the room for the 50”...

-- http://www.facebook.com/pages/DSO-Designs/297237806954248

PurpLev

aaah, marketing. don’t you just love it? you want to buy product X, but they really want you to buy product Y…

PurpLev

Brad – just cut off the 50” rail…. seriously.

View Routerisstillmyname's profile

Routerisstillmyname

Congratulation on the saw. All you need now is Incra 1000HD miter gauge to go with that.

-- Router è ancora il mio nome.